Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Tony7688   Meee   Tony7688   Meee   Metz   Meee   Monitorkid   Metz   Tony7688   Metz   Alter_Bridge_Fan  
 Member  Message

Tony7688
View Profile

HEY METZ????????

Hi Metz, just out of curiousity, what would be the biggest animal (mammal or invertabrate) that Pandinus Imperator can kill just by using itís venom and how long would it take for the venom to kill the animal?

06/07/06  09:22pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 824075

HEY METZ????????

id bet on either another emp or some african tarantulas.

06/08/06  12:24am

Tony7688
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 824387

HEY METZ????????

so emp. venom is strong against animals?

06/08/06  12:47am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 824406

HEY METZ????????

not really, there venom is pretty weak compared to other scorps.

06/08/06  01:31am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 824451

HEY METZ????????

Well, I kind of question the nature of the question as to your intent and purposes for asking it...but Iím just a suspicious sort by nature...donít mind me.
I do not know the answer to that as I (and few others) have ever bothered to run such tests.
P. imperator by nature do not use their venom very often with their prey. Generally they will grab it with their palps, hold it then inject just enough venom to subdue it before they eat it and sometimes they do not even do that.
Their venom is not very high on the toxic scale. Now granted, it will have more of an impact on the prey it is designed for as opposed to humans, but even at that, they are not a very toxic species.
As far as other P. imperators, it is thought that they are immune to their own venom otherwise, in the rare occasions that they do canobolize each other, they would be poisoned by the other empís venom while they ate the scorpion.
As far as an emp vs. a tarantula, in regard to venom, the tarantula would probably win, depending on species, but in general, most tarantulas, especially OW species, have a more toxic venom that does a lot more damage.
An invertebrateís venom is designed for other invertebrates and in the case of an emp, is likely to do much to a larger mammal or rodent and the venom would take much longer to effect the animal the larger the animal is. The venom is designed for other inverts and insects.

06/08/06  04:20pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 825159

HEY METZ????????

Quote:

As far as an emp vs. a tarantula, in regard to venom, the tarantula would probably win,

with an emp this is true, my mistake, but in the wild dont desert hairys feed on desert blonds regularly? i havent talked about us species in a while so this could be wrong.

06/09/06  01:23am

Monitorkid
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 824075

HEY METZ????????

Sorry but, why would you want to know this?

I hope you dont plan on just feeding it mice or other rodents just for fun....

06/09/06  03:11am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Monitorkid   In reference to Message Id: 825986

HEY METZ????????

That was my thought, but Iím not going to jump to conclusions. Some people are just curious and ask such things (and much weider things) in the name of knowledge.

Meee, Iím not sure about the desert hairy and tarantula thing. I know that can go either way, depending on which one happens to get the advantage.

06/09/06  03:28am

Tony7688
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 826001

HEY METZ????????

Oh no, I wouldnít feed it mice (ever) it be to messywith all the blood and guts and stuff, besides if the mouse would fight back it would injure my poor scorpion! I was just curious cuz Iíve heard that they can actually kill a white mouse. I donít know if this is true or not but... The only invertabrate I know for sure can kill a mouse (or even a large rat!0 is the Theraphosa blondi (Goliath Bird Eating tarantula) Oh by the way, do they always eat birds or what???????

06/09/06  12:54pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 826347

HEY METZ????????

No, they donít always eat birds. The reason that some species of tarantula have aquired the "bird eater" title is because, why back when, while doing some field work, some people had come across a large tarantula eating a small bird. The woman who observed it drew a picture of it. You can find the story in The Tarantula Keepers Guide. While yes, some species of tarantula *will* eat small birds from time to time, it is *not* the norm for them.

06/09/06  04:40pm

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 826554

HEY METZ????????

Quote:

The only invertabrate I know for sure can kill a mouse (or even a large rat!0 is the Theraphosa blondi (Goliath Bird Eating tarantula)

Large centipedes can kill mice in seconds, such as Scolopendra subspinipes. If you go to youtube .com thereís some great videos. Just do a search for centipede.

06/15/06  10:12pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area