Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

ImTheDaddy   Metz   ImTheDaddy   Metz  
 Member  Message

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

How to when aggressive and not wanting to be handled

Hi
I have just got one emp Scorpion and would like some info on how to tell when its not happy, so as i dont handle him when he is in a bad mood any other advise relating to scorpians would be helpful

Thanks

05/29/06  08:37am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 808861

The single best advice is to NOT handle them at all. They are not "pets" and they are not toys. What they *are* is very fragile and can be injured easily.
That being said, youíll know your scorpion is not happy when itís tail is laid straight back, when itís telson (the stinger) is facing forward, and when it is in threat posture...which is when it sticks itís butt up in the air with tail raised (not curled) with the telson facing forward.
You ask for info on scorpions in general....did you not research the species before you obtained it?

05/30/06  05:01pm

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 811006

Thank you for that Metz I appreciate the help you have offered. I am aware that a scorpion is not a toy pls let me explain b4 you judge.
The scoprion is a rescue scorpion a freind of my parents bought this scorpion and are now to afraid to look after it and dropped it around my house with my GF, So i was unable to research it as i only found out my GF had taken it in when i arrived home form work. I have been researching on the scorp for the past couple of days. I was going to take it to the RSPCA but my GF wanted me to keep it even though she doesnt like it. I am dissapointed with these people and want to make sure i give the scorp a good home. Advise i will give to people is what you asked me RESEARCH B4 U Buy as what has happened to this little guy is unfair. Thank you again for your help Metz

05/31/06  08:13am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 812010

I wasnít judging Hon, only asking. There are many ways that people aquire critters and yours is just one of them...thatís why I asked.
On a personal note, I think itís AWESOME that your GF wants you to keep it....even if she isnít thrilled about it.
Now, a general run down of how to properly set it up and care for it:

P. imperator are rainforest burrowing scorpions. They require a hot (about 80 degrees F.) and humid (about 80+%) enviroment to be content. It is also a good idea to provide ample substrate so they can burrow. I suggest using peat moss because it holds moisture well and does not mold under extended periods of high humidity like many of the pre-packaged substrates that pet stores sell do.
Do not use bark or wood shavings as a substrate nor any substrate that contains them. You can use aspen bark to lightly cover the top of the substrate if you want to (for looks and asthetic appeal) but do not use it as the sole substrate. Provide two or three hides for it so it can pick and choose where it wants to hang out and so it can go from one to another at its leisure. Give it a wide, shallow water dish with clean water (no sponges or anything like that). If you do not have a dish that is shallow enough put some smooth stones or slate in the bottom. Emps have a habit of "bathing" so donít be suprised if you find it sitting in its dish kicking the water up and rubbing its self down with its legs.
Do not put regualr lighting on it or black lights. If you need to artifically elevate the temperature (which you probably will unless you live in a sauna ) you can use an under tank heat mat and place it on one end of the tank or you can use a red heat light.
Putting a temp and humidity guage inside the tank, about 2/3 up the side will make it easier to monitor temperature and RH.
You do not have to have the temps "perfect" at all times, as they are not in nature, but shoot for upper 80s at least once during the day and 70s at night.
Make sure you do not have anything in the tank that is too close to the top that the scorpion can climb on. While they can not climb glass, they can climb pretty much anything that has a porus surface...AND they can extend themselves up on their tails and reach with their claws to get out (I had a flat rock do that very thing...little sneaky thing!)
Letís see....what else....oh yes, container size.
You *can* keep a single emp in a 10 gallon tank but it isnít really necessary, now if you had two a 10 gallon would be perfect!
Unlike tarantulas, scorpions do appreciate a bit more roaming and digging room so if the container is a tad large, thatís ok.
Feeding. Scorpions should be fed prey that is roughly 1/3 the size of their body (not including tail). Emps generaly do not sting their prey, rather they pinch it. Feed it about 3 to 4 appropriate sized prey each week. If it gobbles those up very quickly, offer more.
You want the scorpion to be plump but you donít want them fat. You can guage how fat theyíre getting by how much white shows on their backs inbetween their *scales*.

Ok, my brain is fried....I hope I have covered the basics for you. If Iíve not covered something, just hollar and by all means feel free to ask any questions that you might have.
I tend to not come in to the scorpion forum as often as I do the spider forum so you might want to PM me so Iíll see it more quickly.
Good luck and congrats...emps are awesome scorpions and I really think you and your GF will enjoy it.

05/31/06  09:43pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area