Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Lathquar   Metz   Lathquar   Dr. Wells  
 Member  Message

Lathquar
View Profile

HElp with new babbies

My Male(female thought was male) Just had babies and I need to know a couple of things please help. They are 1 week old and I need to know:
1) Do i feed the mother and what and how many at a time? So the babies wont get eaten or hurt
2) how long before they can be pulled from the large cage?
3) How do I tell when it is save to remove the babies?
Thanx
Lathquar

05/18/06  12:10pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Lathquar   In reference to Message Id: 791976

HElp with new babbies

They will not leave their motherís back until after they molt, which generaly takes about 3 weeks. Do NOT mess with them at all until they have molted and have climbed off of Momís back on their own.
At that point you can remove them from her tank and either put them all together in their own container or into individual containers. (Iím assuming you have an emperor yes?)
As far as feeding Mom, YES, by all means feed her or sheíll feed herself with the babies. You can feed her crickets, roaches, meal worms, super worms, grasshoppers, loctus...things like that. Feed her as much as she will eat. I would say put at least 6 or 7 crickets or small roaches in for her or about a dozen worms. You want to make sure that she gets her fill and that there are some extra so she can kill those and feed them to her babies. Do not, however, leave prey in the tank for more than a day or two. If she has not eaten them within 2 days at most, remove them (the prey) and wait a few days then offer her some more.
Youíll know itís safe to remove the babies once they have molted at least once and are not white anymore, once they have moved off of Momís back and are running around on their own and are attempting to eat.
Once you do remove them, you will need to feed them small prey that is about 1/3 the size of their body...not counting tail length.

05/18/06  08:09pm

Lathquar
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 792775

HElp with new babbies

Thanx for the info.

05/19/06  12:13pm

Dr. Wells
View Profile

Message To: Lathquar   In reference to Message Id: 793551

HElp with new babbies

Feed the mother 5-7 crickets a week more if she eats all these and remove any uneaten, but dead prey. Remove the babies after they molt and climb off the motherís back. Hope this helps, ask if you need any other information.

05/19/06  05:41pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area