Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Jadedlilfaerie   Metz   Dr. Wells   Meee   Metz   Dr. Wells   Meee   Bugman Dave  
 Member  Message

Jadedlilfaerie
View Profile

Why did mom just eat one of the kids?

My emperor scorpion had 11 babies two weeks ago. I called my girlfriend from work to remind her to mist the cage so the little ones can molt. She did it while I was still on the phone and pointed out for me in shock that the mother was eating one of her young. Is there anything I may be doing wrong to cause this? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from happening again? Am I S.O.L. and this is just nature? I wanted to raise as many as I could help survive to adulthood, but if shes just going to eat them despite anything I do.......well . My girlfriend has posted about our nutty arachnid before. Help.

05/18/06  01:07am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Jadedlilfaerie   In reference to Message Id: 791608

If she is getting plenty of food for both her and a little extra that she can give to the scorplings, then her eating one is a natural part of nature. Sometimes they will eat their young if they (the babies) are weak...kind of the "only the strong survive" kind of thing.
If you have been skimping on the food at all, increase it and make sure she has access to clean water at all times and, of course, that the enviroment inside the container is up to par with temps and humidity.

05/18/06  02:26am

Dr. Wells
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 791649

Make sure she has a moist/humid enviroment, with plenty of food and water and a hide. Remove the babies after they molt and climb off the mother’s back.

05/19/06  05:46pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Dr. Wells   In reference to Message Id: 794037

isnt that what metz just said?

05/23/06  07:37pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 800517

lol
I think there’s a lot of echos in here.

05/24/06  04:51pm

Dr. Wells
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 800517

"Isn’t that what metz just said?’’ Asked meee.

Aye, I guess it’s just a short summary of what Metz said.

05/24/06  05:37pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Dr. Wells   In reference to Message Id: 802041

the best kind of summary. i remember in high school my freshmen english teacher said paraphrasing should be longer then the thing you are summerizing. why not just read the text then?

05/26/06  12:59am

Bugman Dave
View Profile

Message To: Jadedlilfaerie   In reference to Message Id: 791608

Try not to freak, it’s completely natural for mother emp to eat some of her young if they fall off of her back and get anywhere near her mouth. The way in which scorps birth is very taxing on her and tasty too and remember, she probably hasn’t eaten in a while, is overly-cautious and nervous of her surroundings while birthing, and, believe it or not, the babies are supposed to know better. If she eats them all it’s because there is not enough quiet solitude for her and she deems it dangerous for herself. Beside, they’re almost the same size as crickets at their age. What could a mother do? They’ll molt at around the 3 week mark and get off her back quickly thereafter. As soon as you see that they’re not riding her anymore, separate mother from tank gently, very gently remove babies, and relocate them into their own homes. A small 5 gallon tank is sufficient with lots of shelters for them to hide under. They’ll be very communal for a long while until dominance games make them get out on their own.

08/12/06  09:34am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area