Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Derek Z.   Meee   Metz   Derek Z.   Meee   Derek Z.   Metz   Meee   Derek Z.   Metz   Derek Z.   Metz   Derek Z.   Metz   Derek Z.   Metz  
 Member  Message

Derek Z.
View Profile

Carpet?

Can Emperor Scorpions live on carpet and somebody told me that they could live on sand is this true.What would happen if you got stung by an Emperor Scorpion?

05/15/06  07:53pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 787439

Carpet?

they can live on carpet ansd sand but shouldnt. unless your alergic to bees or the emp it will just hurt

05/15/06  08:08pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 787439

Carpet?

You mean like the carpet on the living room floor? NO
The carpet they call "reptile carpet"? NO
Can they live on sand? NO
They are a rain forest, BURROWING species and thus, they need something that:
A. Can be kept quite humid without molding
B. They can burrow in
C. Won’t collapse when they try to burrow in it (IE, sand)

What would happen if you got stung by an emp....not much. They are a lot more inclined to pinch you before they’ll sting. Even at that, their venom is pretty mild...it wouldn’t put you in the hospital or anything like that...unless you had a severe allergic reaction to it.

05/15/06  08:09pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 787470

Carpet?

Thanks, Im new to scorpians I got some cypress mulch and jungle mix in there right now What kind of lighting do they need if any?
Derek

05/15/06  09:19pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 787603

Carpet?

you dont need any lighting. scorpions are nocturnal. however, you will need a thermometer, a hydrometer, and covering over the top of the cage. you will want a humidity of around 80 and a temp of 75-85.

05/16/06  12:45am

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 787995

Carpet?

Ok thanks.

05/16/06  09:40am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 788225

Carpet?

Your substrate is not condusive to providing a good burrowing medium. Both are too loose and will be a huge mess rather quickly because of the amount of humidity that is needed. Cypress multch and jungle mix are good to use as a "top layer" but you really need something that will hold burrows better like peat moss or a mixture of peat and potting soil...fertilizer and chemical free of course.
The "mulch" type beddings that are sold in pet stores are more suited for reptiles than invertebrates.
Also, yes, no lighting is needed and none should be used. Caring for invertebrates is very different than caring for reptiles and anphibians. Oh and just in case, do not use a heat rock either. Those things are bad for everything and I’m still not sure why they are even sold.

05/16/06  06:52pm

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 789095

Carpet?

metz, heat rocks are sold for 2 reasons:

1) many first time buyers assume the petstores know what they are doing. i mean, that wouldnt fly in any other place. if a grocrey store marked eggplants as milk they wouldnt really stay in buisness

2) a gullibule(sp?) person is born every minute, like anole leashes

http://repticzone.com/forums/Anoles/messages/781508.html

for some reason i cant make a link

05/16/06  07:05pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 789134

Carpet?

Thanks for all of your help I have some extra peat moss from my gecko eggs I am hatching.Im not new to invertebrets Im new to scorpions though I have an Mexican Red Knee Tarantula.Again thanks if you guys have anymore info I would greatly appreciated.I didnt get to do much research before I got it was being an Idiot and got and his mom wouldnt let him keep it so lets just say he knows I have many animals so he just leaves it to me.But hey it was free right?

05/16/06  07:32pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 789217

Carpet?

LOL Meee...I didn’t want to actually think about the reasons...and yes, those are about the only reasons heat rocks are sold!

You’re right Derek...can’t beat free!!!! Emps are great scorpions too, big, goofy, silly, big...did I mention big? I’ve got a breeding pair that I got for my son a couple years ago and Elma and Fudd are a riot to watch! We’re waiting for Elma to have this year’s babies which hopefully she’d be doing later on this summer.

05/16/06  08:10pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 789319

Carpet?

I really appreciate all the help Im only 14 I know alot about herps but got alot to learn about Scorpions and there actually much easier to take care of than herps and much cheaper!I know what your talking about on the heat rocks all they do is harm your animal.Im glad to hear about your scorpions about to have babies and Im really glad your getting your kids into its a great learning expierience and I think animals help kids get more mature because they know that its in there hands to keep alive.My girlfriend always gets mad at me because I spend all my money on my herps instead of buying her thing trust me I think she takes more time and money from me than herps and sports!Anyways thanks!,
Derek

05/16/06  08:24pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 789346

Carpet?

You just need to get your girlfriend into "bugs"! No...wait...maybe not. That might be a bad idea....then you’d be spending all of your money on buying HER bugs and you wouldn’t have any!
My kids love the tarantulas, scorpions and our new snake. They were quite literally *born* into the hobby and have always had inverts around them so, needless to say, they have no fear of them. My oldest is 6 now and he is really into scorpions, even more so than tarantulas. Of course, he’s a boy after his daddy’s heart and wants an L.Q (death stalker) but heh, he’ll have to wait for that one!
My daughters are really into tarantulas and snakes. They like the scorpions but they prefer the "webbers" and all things that slither. LOL
You’re right, it is a very good learning experience for them and since they don’t have any of the fears that are associated with arachnids and reptiles, they have a much deeper respect for *all* of creation. God forbid should you kill a spider in our yard...my kids will come unglued on you!

You’re very welcome for the help. Any time you have questions, just post them, we’re always more than happy to help.

05/16/06  08:56pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 789414

Carpet?

That would be a good idea but dont think she would go into bugs wish she would.What kind of snake do you have I have 9 snakes.

05/16/06  09:46pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 789521

Carpet?

Right now I’ve got a mexican black king snake. Hubby says I can’t get anymore until after we move (space requirements and all), especially seeing as how I plan on getting some boas and pythons...oh, and I have to get some corns because my daughters are in love with corns.

05/16/06  09:48pm

Derek Z.
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 789524

Carpet?

The Mexican kings are pretty sweet Im mostly into Boids but I do have a Christmas Cornsnake named Santa.

05/16/06  09:58pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Derek Z.   In reference to Message Id: 789542

Carpet?

The mexican blacks are really the only kings that I like. I’m not much into the other king snakes. I like corns because not only are they good with having kids around, but they come in a million colors and patterns. I prefer hots but won’t keep them.

05/16/06  10:26pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area