Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Scott14   Diggy415   Scott14   Carmelita   Carmelita   Diggy415   Scott14   DBaby   Jungle Mac   Scott14   Kagome100   Kagome100   Whitehorse   Scott14   Whitehorse   Whitehorse   Scott14   Whitehorse   Whitehorse   Scott14   Dansagoth   Imperator_13   Cenapier  
 Member  Message

Scott14
View Profile

HELP!!

Hi people can anyone tell some info on scorpions? what size tank you would keep them in? temperature? Food? substrate? decor? size they grow?
-Thanks
Scott14,

05/26/04  04:42pm

Diggy415
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 78240

HELP!!

why do ppl come to forums for such help, whats wrong with the pet store,online research,libraries etc, gosh this is sickening. Hope no one is holding their breathe.

05/26/04  08:41pm

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Diggy415   In reference to Message Id: 78328

HELP!!

Wow! calm down i came on here 4 info i thought that was what it was for! Its easier lookin on here than lookin on the internet, but if thats gunner be my answer than fine dont help me! Jesus i was only askin 4 help!
scott14,

05/27/04  10:54am

Carmelita
View Profile

HELP!!

Hi Diggy415
Let’s calm down. This is the second time I have seen you rip on someone for asking for help.
This forum IS for help/research!

Let’s keep this the friendly forum it used to be!

05/27/04  11:04am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 78541

HELP!!

Hi Scott14
Sorry, but I know nothing about them. If I did, I would try to help you.
This usually is where you can come for help, but I have no Idea how many scorpian keepers there are here. Hang in there!

05/27/04  11:07am

Diggy415
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 78549

HELP!!

It just sounded as though with capitol letter it was a dire emergency, I guess asking the right questions comes across better, like,"I know there are many ways of setting up a scorpion enclosure, what are some of the ways you have that seem to suit the animal best? Sounded like an emergency is all, got a chuckle out of it, a forum doesn’t get u the quick responce one may need and there will be 100 different opions out there, I look it up on the net, as I had one and put it on bed a beast with rocks and branches and all it did was hide all the time even with a red light at night, boring pet in my opinion. Have fun

05/27/04  01:04pm

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Diggy415   In reference to Message Id: 78613

HELP!!

Thanks for that carmalita.
Right the only reason i put it in capital letters was because sometimes you put a thread on here and it doesnt get your attention, no one replies so i put it in capitals to get peoples attention like it did with you. I hope i get lots of opinions that way i will be able to pick what is the most common way and hopefully the best. But by the looks of it there arent many people on here lol! I dont want to argue with you diggy415 its just it was just a bit putting off the way i read your msg. thank you for your opinion any way.
Scott14,

05/27/04  05:10pm

DBaby
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 78764

HELP!!

Diggy,
what’s wrong with asking people who have firsthand experience for help? i did research online and in books for my geckos but i also asked people on this site what they thought. personally i found them much more helpful than books and websites so if you dont want to help than shut up and dont reply at all.

06/07/04  11:49pm

Jungle Mac
View Profile

Message To: DBaby   In reference to Message Id: 83617

HELP!!

hey dbaby, scott and everyone else don’t listen to diggy he’s mad because someone probably shut him down the same way so don’t worry . I do somethings about scorpions. It all depends on the type. you’re probably looking at an emperor scorpion which is usually legal but you may want to check that. If a petstore is selling them in you’re neighbourhood then it’s legal. probably. An emperor scor pion is the largest scorpions so I recommend a 10 or 20 gallon aquarium but when they are babies you can keep them in a tupperware container that snaps close. for substrate you could use newspaper but i reccomend mulch over paper. a bottle cap is fine for a water dish, and feed pinhead crikets and i think that about it

06/09/04  05:13pm

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Jungle   In reference to Message Id: 84363

HELP!!

Hey theanks for that, er.. do they have to have any special heating lighting?? im from the uk by the way, yes their legal.
-Thanks
scott14,

06/10/04  11:48am

Kagome100
View Profile

HELP!!

Pet stores are very very bad...... if you don’t want people coming here than you leave....

06/11/04  11:53am

Kagome100
View Profile

HELP!!

Here are some sites...
link

link2

link3

06/11/04  11:56am

Whitehorse
View Profile

HELP!!

Hi Scott,
I’ve own a scorpion before. I recommend that you get a black emperor scorpion, they are the largest, not too agressive (i.e. for a scorpion, of course) and their venom is not considered too dangerous to humans, unless you’ve got an allergy (if you’re alive seven hours after the sting, then you’re most probably not allergic; sorry, I’m not trying to scare you off but that really is the only way to know for sure, don’t try this of course). When you handle it, pick it up by the tail, behind the venom sack and support its body from under with your other hand or on your lap. Not that you should handle it, but you’ve got to when you want to clean the enclosure. Once a month should be enough. Watch out for the pedipalps, they can draw blood. I’ve never been cut or stung by my scorpion, and I took it once in a while to show to the children at my school.

For substrate, soil works fine. Do provide shelters and a water bowl. Keep the temperature high, around 30 degrees celcius. Use a night lamp and/or heat pad on one side of the enclosure to allow it to thermoregulate. Humidity is very important, and should be kept at 80%. If the humidity is too low, your scorpion will die when moulting. By the way, a moulting scorpion may look dead, so don’t bury it too quickly...

You should feed it crickets (gut-loaded), about three times a month. Seeing them eat is rather gross, they hold the cricket like a cigarette and chew it slowly, while the cricket is writhing in pain.

You may sometimes see the scorpion with its head in the water dish for an extended period of time, this is normal and nothing to worry about.

You might one to pray God you’re not going to acquire a pregnant female as they give birth to dozens of live youngs. That could be fun though, newborns are white (they darken with age) and are carried on their mother’s back until their first molt. I’d sure love to see that, but my wife didn’t like the idea...

The enclosure should be at least a few times the length of the scorpion (black emperors are not overly active) and glass works better for keeping the humidity high. Placing the heat pad under the water bowl will also help keep the humidity up. Black emperors cannot climb on glass, mine has never escaped. Do keep the enclosure out of reach of little fingers though...

I have never owned another specie, but in general, the larger the claws, the milder the venom. Some species are good climbers, and all of those should be considered dangerous.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to ask whatever info you may need. As I live in Japan, I’m afraid I can’t supply you with UK sources.

Keep me posted,

Mark

06/15/04  10:53am

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Whitehorse   In reference to Message Id: 86709

HELP!!

Thanks alot for all your information! they sound really intersting pets, but im pretty sure my mum wont let me get a scorpion as she is terrified of spiders! which is really annoying! but i still like learning about them though, so when i leave home wereever i live will probably be like a zoo!lol! ahh another question...is lighting very important?? can they just have a red bulb above the tank??
Scott14,

06/16/04  11:02am

Whitehorse
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 87286

HELP!!

Scorpions are nocturnal animals, so lighting is not as important as lighting. You still want your scorpion to have a day/night cycle though. Using a blue light will allow you to better observe and enjoy your scorpion.

06/16/04  07:36pm

Whitehorse
View Profile

Message To: Whitehorse   In reference to Message Id: 87601

HELP!!

I should have proof-read the above before posting... I meant that lighting is not as important as heating. Unless you breed them, I am not convinced that they are the most fascinating animal to own, but some do enjoy it.

06/17/04  09:18am

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Whitehorse   In reference to Message Id: 87829

HELP!!

Yes..well thanks for your help! are blue bulbs the ones that u can see but the scorpions cant??
Scott14,

06/17/04  04:57pm

Whitehorse
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 88043

HELP!!

You’re welcome! I’m afraid I cannot answer that last question, and I wonder if the scorpion’s sight has been studied so far...I’ll at least try to find out.

06/17/04  07:21pm

Whitehorse
View Profile

Message To: Whitehorse   In reference to Message Id: 88155

HELP!!

Here’s a picture of my scorpion. Unfortunately, he passed away last January. I named it Darth Vader.

06/18/04  08:27am

Scott14
View Profile

Message To: Whitehorse   In reference to Message Id: 88410

HELP!!

Thanks for your help anyway.It seems we’re the only one on here now there are never any new posts!
i’m sorry to here about darth vader. Do you own any more scorpions??
Scott14,

06/18/04  04:08pm

Dansagoth
View Profile

Message To: Scott14   In reference to Message Id: 88669

HELP!!

i had an emperor scorpion a pregnate 1 it sucked cuz i didnt know what to do with them all so i sold some and let 3 go in my back yard lol if u look around 1 still says around jk but but i got like 15$ a piece

07/30/04  04:29am

Imperator_13
View Profile

HELP!!

hey there, this doesnt have much to do with anything, but sumtin cool to do with your scorpion is to take it out and make one hand like a little cave, then make the scorpion hide in it from your other hand. i like to play with mine a lot

02/28/05  11:04pm

Cenapier
View Profile

Message To: Imperator_13   In reference to Message Id: 261516

HELP!!

i agree with diggy, LOOK AT OTHER POSTS!

03/03/05  05:11pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area