Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Scheiser   Tony7688   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz   Metz   Scheiser  
 Member  Message

Scheiser
View Profile

New scorpions

So Iím bored as hell sitting in class and Iíve been thinking for a while about getting a new scorpion. I was thinking something that would be somewhat easy to take care of and aesthetically pleasing, at least a little. And not too terribly expensive, keep in mind Iím a highschool student with a part-time job. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

05/08/06  12:15pm

Tony7688
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 776825

New scorpions

You should get one! Iím also a high school student with a part time job ( I work ay Universal studios as an admission host) scorpions are easy to take care of and donít require much attention.

05/08/06  01:05pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 776888

New scorpions

This topic looks familiar!
Scorpions are a bit different than tarantulas (of course) and, unlike tarantulas, some scorpions *are* potentially lethal. However, there are many species that do not have such the toxic venom and that are easy to care for.
Also, donít just look at P. imperator, while yes, they are good scorpions to start with, there are many species that are just as worthy. Iíll look up a few and get back to you.

05/08/06  03:39pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 777072

New scorpions

Yes, sorry, I have 2 P imperators. I really enjoy them, but I was wanting to expand and try some more. Perhaps a desert species if you know of any.

05/08/06  05:00pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 777175

New scorpions

Well, you can check out the Vaejovis sp. Hadogenes sp. or the Centruroides sp. if you feel you can handle something a bit fiester with a more potent venom (and if the family says itís ok).
Scorpion availability can be sparratic at times, especially right now. It seems like as soon as the weather starts warming up and the babies emerge, they are scooped up like hot cakes (the same with tarantulas).

05/08/06  05:46pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 777248

New scorpions

I am curious, when you said feistier with a more potent venom did you mean all three of those you suggested or just the Centruroides sp.? I was looking at the Centruroides and kind of liked some of the ones I saw. What would be your suggestion from those?

05/09/06  03:52pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 778439

New scorpions

Yes, just the Centruroides. They have a medically significent venom and are also good climbers so caution needs to be forfront if keeping them.

05/09/06  11:41pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 779256

New scorpions

Hmm, I am not sure. I saw a scorpion I liked on a website. I mentioned it on another post. Forget the name exactly but it was a red scorpion. But I am pretty sure I should not be going with that one.

05/10/06  05:24pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 780209

New scorpions

Post a link to where you found it and weíll have a looksy.

05/10/06  05:27pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 780211

New scorpions

It was on Botarby8s.com I just looked it. It was the Babycurus jacksoni. The picture they had made the scorpion look very pretty.

05/10/06  05:47pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 780247

New scorpions

They are very nice scorpions and yes, the pic Botar has really captures the coloratio well.
They are a smaller scorp and easy to keep as long as you mind your fingers and keep an eye on it while your working in its container.

05/10/06  07:10pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 780395

New scorpions

So would you say it would be alright for me to get one with my only scorpion experience being two P. Imperators? I rather like them and could supply everything I would need for it. I just do not want to jump too far ahead of my self.

05/11/06  03:28pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 781549

New scorpions

I think it would be ok, but thatís just my opinion and you really need to base it on you and how comfortable you feel about scorpions in general. After all, they arenít as bad as a Parabuthis or an Androctonous. (sp?) If you get it from Botar, you can ask him about their temperments in general and he will be more than happy to talk with you about them, how to best care for them, what to watch out with them, etc. Heís a really great guy and is *always* happy to lend advice, suggestions, whatever.

05/11/06  03:38pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 781562

New scorpions

Alright thanks. Haha, I am going to be the cause of my father going insane. I will see what I can work out.

05/11/06  03:42pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 781569

New scorpions

Well hey, if heís willing to let you keep "pet bugs" than he must be pretty cool!
Besides, whoís to say that you donít end up getting HIM interested in the hobby!

05/11/06  06:08pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 781760

New scorpions

Haha, if he had his way all scorpions and spiders within a three foot radius would be smashed under a shoe. He does not object because it keeps me into something, other than video games. But I do not know how he feels about something with a more potent venom.

05/12/06  11:24am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 782587

New scorpions

I just had a thought (yes, it hurt ). If you wanted to and if you think it *might* make your dad feel better and put his mind more at ease, you can have him talk to Botar about scorpions and kids. Botar as 4 kids of his own so he knows all about what goes through a parentís mind when their children want venomous "bugs" as "pets" and Iím sure Botar could recommend something that would not only be safe and easy to care for, but also would be able to give your Dad any pointers, info, suggestions etc. on what to do and not do and what to be aware of and how to handle a potental pinch or sting if it should happen.

05/12/06  05:51pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 783091

New scorpions

Oh, just so you know, Botar (Charles) is a very honest guy. He wonít tell you or your Dad anything "just to make a sale". He use to be a police officer (if that counts toward his creditability) and has had many years experience with inverts, kids, and kids with inverts. He wonít give you bad advice or try and sell you something that he doesnít think youíre ready for and he wonít screw you around.

05/12/06  05:55pm

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 783097

New scorpions

Eh, itís a no-go on the scorpion. But I got the seal of approval on the GBB.

05/13/06  05:12pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area