Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BigNasty   Alter_Bridge_Fan   Reptic lover   Metz   BigNasty   Metz   BigNasty   Metz   BigNasty   Metz   BigNasty   BigNasty   Metz   Mike17844   Dr. Wells  
 Member  Message

BigNasty
View Profile

Emps wont come out

i recently put my emps in a new tank setup with eco earth and cactusí, ever since they havent come out of the cave i have in there, any thoughts

05/02/06  09:13pm

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 768843

Emps wont come out

You canít really do anything about that. Pulling them out of the cave will probably stress them out, so just be patient. Youíll see them eventually. Itís like getting a Haplopelma lividum tarantula. Itís basically like having a pet hole in the substrate that you have to keep fed and watered. Just be patient.

05/02/06  09:58pm

Reptic lover
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 768843

Emps wont come out

i have 2 emps and they donít come out joring the day but at night if where you keep them in is quited they come out at night for a wee bit and hunt. it mite just be that they are coming out at night and you are just not seeing them.

05/03/06  04:44am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Reptic lover   In reference to Message Id: 769314

Emps wont come out

A cactus??? Why did you put a cactus in with them? I hope it isnít real.
There is a saying with emps: "a happy emp is an invisible emp". That could be the case or it could be that they are very unhappy if your tempreture and humidity are not right and thus, they may be staying in their hide to try and get as much humidity as they can.
Also, eco earth does not make a very stable substrate for burrowing and they like to dig and burrow. Also, with as much humidity as this species needs, eco earth will break down more quickly and is more inclined to rot.

05/03/06  03:47pm

BigNasty
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 769896

Emps wont come out

are real cactusí bad? i have three in there, i dont have a humidty gauge or thermometer in there either, thanks for the advice though

05/03/06  10:46pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 770779

Emps wont come out

Yes, real cacti are not a good idea to put in any invertebrateís container. Their spines can injure the animal and if the animal accidently fell on it...... Also, cacti will not be able to survive the enviroment that emps require. Cacti are desert plants and emps are rain forest scorpions. The level of humidity that they require to be happy and healthy will kill a cactus.

05/03/06  10:55pm

BigNasty
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 770800

Emps wont come out

i honestly didnt know that emps were rain forest scorps, are any real plants ok? i really like the look of the tank with the cacti in, but iíll remove them asap and just put them in my house somewhere. i thought emps were in the desert. thanks metz

05/04/06  10:37pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 772271

Emps wont come out

Live plants can be used, however, there are some things you need to keep in mind if you do decide to use them. Emps are burrowers and, unless you put the plants in, while still in their pots, the scorpions will tear the heck out of the roots.
There are several different types of plants you can use, however, youíll want to use something that will grow well in low light levels because you donít want grow lights on the container, it will stress the scorps.
Pothos (devilís ivy), English Ivy, Philodendreans (sp?), and terrarium palms are some that would be able to handle low light as well as the warm, humid enviroment that emps love so much.
What you can do (if you want) is google "terriaum/vivarium plants". There are many types of plants you can get that will be able to suit your needs and desires as well as your scorpions comfort. Just remember, put the plants in unglazed clay pots and bury the pots in the substrate.

05/05/06  12:02am

BigNasty
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 772436

Emps wont come out

thanks a bunch metz, itís hard to find good advice for animals, everyone usually says the same old stuff that you already know, but not in this case. i appreciate it

05/05/06  02:41pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 773096

Emps wont come out

Youíre very welcome. The problem with the invert hobby is that, even though it is a very large hobby, keepers tend to huddle in certain circles but there are an unlimited number of off shoots of keepers who, although wanting to help further the hobby and the knowledge about them, most are new keepers who do not have much experience or who copy and paste bits and pieces of info. from various places, thus, leading to confusing, conflicting information. When it comes to the invert hobby, I always try and suggest that people stick to the "big" groups such as Venom List, the ATS (american tarantula society) the BTS (brittish tarantula society) The Tarantula Store, or Arachnoboards. Those are the largest, most qualified invert and reptile forums on the net and youíre going to get good, acurate information from them that is correct, concise and NOT wrong (usually LOL) While some are more friendly than others, all have knowledgable, experienced keepers who have been in the hobby for years on end and who know what theyíre talking about.
RZ on the other hand, is kind of a collageí of a little bit of everything. There are some experienced keepers in the various boards but the majority of keepers who come here are new and do not know much...
Thatís why I lurk around here so much. I pretty much stay in the scorpion and spider boards because that is what I do and what I know but often times, Iím the only one. That being said, I must thank all of those who have come here green, taken the time to learn and apply that knowledge and have, in turn, helped countless more.....my hatís off to you guys!!!!!!!!

05/05/06  03:33pm

BigNasty
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 773196

Emps wont come out

once again, thanks a bunch. good luck with u and all your inverts!

05/06/06  11:31pm

BigNasty
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 773196

Emps wont come out

hey metz, off the subject, but i was wondering if you knew any sites that sold venomous snakes like cobras or vipers, i get into snakes more than anything, the only reason i have the two emps is because my friend couldnít take care of them anymore, i rescued their lil butts, he got them from some jerk who cut one of the the scorpionís stingers off! but i really appreciate all your help, and i will do my best to take care of my inverts and herps. Iíve had my snakes for a lil over 6 years.

05/07/06  12:32am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 775058

Emps wont come out

I donít keep venomous snakes so I wouldnít be much help there. Now non venomous...thatís a different story.

05/07/06  03:21am

Mike17844
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 775171

Emps wont come out

Yeah, my Emp barely comes out either. It always stays in its cave. Everytime I lift it up its in a little hole that it dug in the corner. Sometimes Iíll take it out and itíll walk around but then again itíll be in the hole again. I dont know if it just keeps getting stuck or what.

05/20/06  03:12pm

Dr. Wells
View Profile

Message To: BigNasty   In reference to Message Id: 775058

Venomous Snakes

Iím not Metz, but I know where you can get venomous snakes! Reptile Market the web address is www.reptilemarket.com, hope this helps.

05/20/06  07:28pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area