Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Scheiser   Metz   Scheiser   Metz  
 Member  Message

Scheiser
View Profile

Mating..

I am curious, form the little I have read it sounds like my scorpions were doing a mating dance a little while ago. I could be wrong, but they had their pincherís more or less interlocked and were pushing each other back and forth and trying to sting one another for about 2 hours. Any suggestions on how to best see to it that they have babies. Thanks.

04/26/06  10:51pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 760045

Mating..

That depends on what species they are. Different species have different needs during gestation.

04/27/06  01:35am

Scheiser
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 760341

Mating..

Oh yes, of course. How silly of me, I apologize. They are Emperors. Pandinus Imperator if Iím not mistaken..

04/27/06  04:32pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Scheiser   In reference to Message Id: 761036

Mating..

Ahhh, ok.
What youíll want to do is keep the container they are in warm and humid. Since P. imperator are a rain forest species, they like a good sauna!
When my female is gravid, I increase the tempreture to an average of 85 degrees F. and elevate the humidity to 90+%
It can take several months for the female to give birth if the mating was successfull.
Just remeber, good ventilation is important. That can make keeping humidity up, a challange, but if you elevate the humidity in the mornings or early afternoons to 90 or 100% that will be just fine for the entire day. Flucuations in humidity and tempreture are perfectly fine and they should flucuate just like they would in nature.
Youíll want a warmer side and a cooler side, so if you are using a heat mat, put it on one side of the tank, if you are using a heat lamp, position it on only one end of the container.
Make sure they are not in a brightly lit area as they tend to dislike the light.

04/27/06  07:33pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area