Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BlackDragonScales711   Metz   BlackDrangonScales   Metz   BlackDrangonScales   Metz   BlackDragonScales711  
 Member  Message

BlackDragonScales711
View Profile

Little Flys In Tank...

Well a Copple nights ago I noticed little, almost fruit flys crawling on the substrate (they have wings) so what are they, do I need to be alarmed or should I change and clean every thing in the tank? Is there anyway to get rid of them...

Thanks
Brandon

04/26/06  10:08pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BlackDragonScales711   In reference to Message Id: 759952

Little Flys In Tank...

If you do not have anything in the enclousure that is high enough for them to climb up on and get out (remember, scorpions can "stand" on their tails and grab onto things with their pinchers and pull themselves up) then you can just take off the lid and let the container dry out until the gnats are gone. Otherwise, depending on what type of llid you have (hopefully a screen top lid) just remove anything that you are using to restrict ventilation and let the container air out for a few days.
You should not need to change out the substrate unless the container is completly infested with them.
They pop up from time to time when conditions are warm and moist, hense why, in another discussion we had, I stressed the importance of good ventilation. Proper ventilation is more important than perfect humidity.

04/27/06  01:41am

BlackDrangonScales
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 760349

Little Flys In Tank...

Well thanks for you help but....I looked at one closer last night and there baby crickets! About a week ago i saw a female lay eggs so it must be them.

04/27/06  12:16pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BlackDrangonScales   In reference to Message Id: 760658

Little Flys In Tank...

Baby crickets with wings...hmmm

04/27/06  04:15pm

BlackDrangonScales
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 761008

Little Flys In Tank...

nope they just looked like they had wings but i got a closer look...

04/28/06  11:02am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: BlackDrangonScales   In reference to Message Id: 762208

Little Flys In Tank...

Oh good.
They will die on their own as long as you do not provie food for them. You donít want a cricket colony in with your scorpions, thatís for sure.
Youíll run into this situation from time to time with crickets laying their eggs in either the water dish or the substrate.

04/28/06  04:52pm

BlackDragonScales711
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 762594

Little Flys In Tank...

Thanks Metz

04/29/06  06:29pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area