Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Eric n Heather   Alter_Bridge_Fan   Esron   Metz   Tony7688   Metz  
 Member  Message

Eric n Heather
View Profile

Not Sure about my scorpion PLEASE help me

I am not sure about scorpions. i am very fscinated with them and i bought one. the pet store told me it wasa desert creature so i set up the tank with sand and water , heat rocks and a heat lamp. they also told me that it is a girl and maybe pregnant. well then i found out from this site that it is a rain forest creature and the living arrangements i have for it are all wrong. no wi really need help on what to do. where to get the stuff i need and if it is mail or female and if it is pregnnat or not. anything anyone knows with help greatly. thank you.

04/17/06  09:24pm

Alter_Bridge_Fan
View Profile

Message To: Eric n Heather   In reference to Message Id: 745008

Pictures, latin names, the works. Give us all the information you can. Pictures and Latin name are by far the most helpful. There are countless common names for the same thing.

04/17/06  10:38pm

Esron
View Profile

pete moss is a good start for forest dwellers but that depends on the climate in which the little bugger originates from, i have forest dwellers and the temperature here is about 25-35 oC summer and down as far as 5-20 oC winter. I do not need to use heat lamps or heat mats i just need to make sure that there living area is reasonably moist and well fed and of course safe from other bugs such as ANTS. About the sex and pregnancy of your scorp i am sorry i dont know much more.

04/18/06  08:45am

Metz
View Profile

It is probably an emperor scorpion (P. imperator). Yes, pictures would be helpful if you can get some.
If it is an emp you’ll want to put it in about 5 inches of spaghunm peat moss so it can burrow. You’ll want to provide a couple hides for it, large shallow water dish, no heat rocks, very bad things those are. A heat light is ok as long as it is not a black light, but even additional heat is dependant on where in your home the scorpion is housed. Rain forest species, such as P. imperator like it hot and humid. There is a way you can set up its container to make keeping humidity up easier without having to constantly mist every day.
As far as gender and whether or not it’s gravid (pregnant). That is dependant upon its exact species.
Pretty much everything you’ll need can be gotten at Wall-Mart or at any pet store.
Just a word of caution, most pet stores, especially chain stores, do not know anything about the animals they sell....as they have proven by their advice and care instructions they gave to you.
Generally, it is a good idea to turn a deaf ear to most pet store "experts" for this very reason and seek the advice of people who honestly do know as you have done here, because most pet stores do not know what they’re talking about.
Second opinions are always a good thing.

04/18/06  06:52pm

Tony7688
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 746558

That is sooooo tru Metz... Those people at the pet stores think they know what they’re talking about but they really don’t! Like when I bought my scorp a while a ago, the guy who sold it to me was like "Are you sure you want that thing for a pet they’re extremely dangerouse (poisnous)" I knew it wasn’t though at least not to people (unless you have an allergy or something) What a jerk!

05/02/06  11:50am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Tony7688   In reference to Message Id: 767892

Well, the problem with most, I can not say all, pet store employees, especially chain stores, is that those who do the hiring do not know anything about what they sell and thus, do not know if their applicants do either. Any Joe Shmo can walk in and say "oh yeah, I know all about scorpions and stuff" and the manager will believe it because they don’t know any better and they just want someone in there selling the stuff and they don’t want to have to pay someone with honest to God experience more because of it, when they can pay someone else a lot less

05/03/06  03:57pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area