Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Alan Johnson   Alan Johnson   Metz   Alan Johnson   Metz   Alan Johnson   Alan Johnson   Alan Johnson   Metz   Alan Johnson   Metz   Alan Johnson  
 Member  Message

Alan Johnson
View Profile

BABY SCORPLINGS

Well it has started as i am typing my female is giving birth only one can be seen but it is early days .she actually gave birth on top off the soil Picture is not to clear but will get better ones when i can

02/07/06  10:57am

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 639483

BABY SCORPLINGS

bump

02/07/06  12:37pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 639572

BABY SCORPLINGS

YEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, how does it feel to be a Grandpa?

02/07/06  05:50pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 639941

BABY SCORPLINGS

Very stressful at the moment ,after the T Blondi molted on Fri then this on Tues most stressful and frustrating .Mommy has only had 2 she munched on 1 (which was hard to sit and watch )but that is nature the 1st one is safe and secure on her back for now .She is still as large so there is hopefully more still to pop . Will keep you updated on future developments

02/08/06  09:11am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 640852

BABY SCORPLINGS

Since itís taking her this long to give birth, you might want to put a towel over the tank to make it nice and dark and not bother her for a day or two. Since scprpions have better eyesight than tarantulas, the audience can make them nervious.

02/08/06  02:02pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 641075

BABY SCORPLINGS

The room is in darkness during the day the only light that goes on is the bulb for my Geckos .Its just hard resist a peek (will stop )
Will try the towel thing see how that goes

02/08/06  03:25pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 641175

BABY SCORPLINGS

Well a big thanks to metz for the info my scorp is now on her way to having a large family after 2 days of darkness she has given birth to about 8 plus the one she chomped on might be more will be leaving her in darkness another few days just to be on the safe side ,again pic not to good but donít want to disturb her to much

02/11/06  10:40am

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 645376

BABY SCORPLINGS

Well the cover came off today and she only has 5 left on her back ,but they have certainly got really fat since i last saw them .The 3 that are missing were quite a bit smaller than there bro/sis so just maybe they didnít make it and that is why they all look so fat .
Could this have happened,

02/15/06  01:42pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 651275

BABY SCORPLINGS

I donít know that the scorplings will eat each other, Iíve never heard of it but that doesnít mean much.
Often times not all will survive, thatís just natureís way. The mother might have eaten them smaller, weaker ones and/or killed and fed them to her babies.
You will need to make sure you put food in for Mom so she can feed herself and her babies.
Yes, scorplings are generally very well cared for and very well fed by Mom.

02/15/06  10:50pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 652191

BABY SCORPLINGS

Update on mom and babies ,Sad to say we are down another but that is nature .I was doing a night watch on her (best time to watch her hunt ) when i noticed one had fallen of her back .It was running after mom trying to get back on but mom was in hunt mode and turned round to face wot ever it was behind her .The baby stopped dead right in front of her to my horror she grabbed it in her pedipalp and began to eat it . One other thing i have observed on my night watches ,she will not let my male out of his burrow he comes so far out then she sees him and forces him back down (is this natural behavior )

02/19/06  12:26pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Alan Johnson   In reference to Message Id: 656980

BABY SCORPLINGS

Keeping the male away is pretty normal, the eating of the scorplings is new to me. How much are you feeding her? In all the clutches Iíve had, the mother has never eaten the young.

02/20/06  01:21am

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 658244

BABY SCORPLINGS

Have had to separate the parents as it was him coming out to eat that was causing her to run around having a hairy fit (as all females think they are entitle to do ) .Just this afternoon i was watching them and he tried to come out to play and she was having non of it .all the babies fell of ( hence the reason for sep) I lifted them out with my forceps and placed them back on her back she was non the wiser just disappeared into her burrow and she hasnít been back out so fingers crossed they will be alright

02/20/06  01:26pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area