Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Velvetsun12   Metz   GoyaLion   Metz   GoyaLion   Metz   Topgun101   Metz   Topgun101   Metz   Topgun101   Alan Johnson   Metz   Topgun101   Topgun101   Metz  
 Member  Message

Velvetsun12
View Profile

More questions

im getting my emp scorp tomorrow and i need to get th tank ready. i need to know a few things and again ive heard conflicting things. first question: reguarding the heat pad, where should i put it? i have a 10 gallon tank and ive heard that you shoul put it on the side, but ive also heard that you can put it on the bottom. and what side if it does go on the side? second question: reguarding the lamp. i heard that they should have only a day cycle lamp. would a 40 watt house bulb do it? i know they dont require UVB so that makes sense.... posts would be appreciated

01/15/06  02:57pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Velvetsun12   In reference to Message Id: 606967

More questions

Some use under tank heaters, some put them on the side of the tank, either works and neither is wrong. I myself prefer putting it on the side because itís easier. If you put it on the side, put it on whatever side the water dish is on. Absolutely no lamps are required unless you are planning on using heat lights. Then of course you wouldnít need the heat pad. Scorpions are noctornal and prefer to not have the light. The normal lighting within your home does just fine. If you put a light on them they will hide or burrow and never come out until you turn it off. Scorpions are very different than reptiles who do require added light sources when kept in captivity, scorpions do not.

01/17/06  07:50pm

GoyaLion
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 610016

More questions

I use both a heating light (black light) and an under tank heating pad for my emporers. I find it hard to maintain a temperture above 80 degrees if I donít. I put both the light and heating pad on the same side of the tank so that the scorpions can still go to the cooler side if they want.
Though Iíve read that they donít mind the black-light, I wonder how true that is. Does anyone know exactly how sensitive they are to the different forms of light? (eg: red, black, UV, white, etc...)

01/21/06  03:12am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: GoyaLion   In reference to Message Id: 614284

More questions

Scorpions are extreamly sensative to black lights.
Black lights are NOT good for scorpions and prolonged exposure to them can cause severe sunburns. Black lights should NEVER be used for anything other than locating a hiding scorpion. If youíre going to use a heat light, use a red one. Regular white lights are OK, but they donít like the light and will hide more. Your best bet is the red lights. They give off heat, the scorpions can not see them so will go about their regular business and they are not harmfull to them. UV lights are not good either as they too can cause burns. Unlike some reptiles, scorpions do not need *sunlight*.
What size tank are you heating? I find it difficult to believe that a heat mat does not do a sufficent job of maintainng an adaquate tempreture. If it is used or old, perhaps a new one is in order. I only use red heat lights for all my inverts and I have absolutely no problem maintaing a 90 degree temp in my empsí 10 gallon tank.

01/22/06  06:59pm

GoyaLion
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 616762

More questions

Iím heating a 10 gallon with 2 scorpions living inside. I use about 3 inches of substrate (coconut eco-earth). I also have some bamboo and a philodandron planted in it. I figured thatís why the mat (itís new and covers about a third of the bottom of the tank) wasnít keeping the temp higher. I also have to use a mat/light combo with my wifeís pac-man frog, so perhaps the temperature of our house is too low in general. Iíll switch to a red light. Thank you for the info. Iíve plowed through tons of literature (both online and in real books), and never got a good answer to the light question.

01/22/06  10:36pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: GoyaLion   In reference to Message Id: 617141

More questions

What Iíd suggest is to add more substrate until you have about 5 to 6 inches and take out the live plants. Live plants and scorpions do not do well in the same containers. The plants require full sprectum lighting in order to grow and the scorpions prefer to not have any lighting at all. You can put artifical plants in there if you want the set up to be asthetically appealing. Also, the tempreture and humidity levels needed to keep the rain forest dwelling emps happy would be too much for successfull growth of the bamboo and philo. What you might want to do is to set up the tank with an under substrate gravel and tube set up. Iíll give you a link that shows pictures of what it looks like and how to do it. It is wonderful for keeping humidity at a higher level and, as long as warm water is used, will help to maintain proper tempreture.
The group that I have linked to have a TON of accurate information on scorpions and extreamly knowledgable people who have kept just about every scorpion under the sun.
This link shows a ton of different scorpion set ups. Bear in mind, these are species specfic set ups and for emps, you donít want to use sand. The particular post on P. imperator is post #11
Scorpion set ups

01/23/06  12:56pm

Topgun101
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 617705

More questions

metz have u any evidence of harm from uv light, you appeared to feel quite strong about it. i have an adult female emp and twelve of her kids all under uv light. they are quite attracted to it as if they were sunbathing. the reason i got uv light was the book i got said to. what do ya think should i sling it

01/25/06  03:31pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 620848

More questions

UV light....black light or other type?
As far as black light goes, yes, there is a ton of evidence that prolonged exposure to it causes sunburns. Of course theyíre going to like it, it gives off heat and being a hot, humid species, they like the heat.
Just because an animal likes something doesnít mean they know whatís good for them. Cats like antifreeze because it tastes good.......

01/25/06  10:09pm

Topgun101
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 621487

More questions

yes, i know that exposure to uv light causes skin problems and it is widely known in humans and other animals with skin,this is because our skin can be penetrated by the uv radiation, but a scorpion does not have skin. like i said what evidence do you have, where can i see this ton of evidence. Manny Rubio, a very experienced wildlife researcher suggestís that it is better to use uv light as it causes no harm to the scorpions whatsoever, in fact if you use any other light than uv the scorpion will soon become irritated by it.
ps the light is not close enough for them to feel the heat from it

01/26/06  01:32pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 622069

More questions

Well hoo raaa for Manny Rubio....perhaps he needs to learn that scorpions are nocternal and stay hidden from the light during the day, thus, minimal exposure to ultra violet rays. **rolleyes**
UV comes in many different colors. Please READ what I have written thus far. BLACK LIGHTS are harmfull to scorpions. I myself use red lights. Perhaps you should visit this place. Venom List You want evidence and proof, there you will find it.

01/26/06  02:32pm

Topgun101
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 622136

More questions

you shouldnít take whats written in here personally. i know that he is very experienced and i dont know who you are. you may well be right but i want to know the facts. also i dont use the light at very much just when im looking at them. what effects have you seen or heard about, do they die or burn or what,

01/26/06  02:47pm

Alan Johnson
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 622152

More questions

I have to come to the defense of Metz hear .I have a article written by Jon Fouskaris on this matter and i quote(this species is especially sensitive to UV light and such exposure will cause stress and ultimately death) unquote

01/26/06  04:14pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 622152

More questions

I am not taking anything personally, I just expect people to read before replying. Iíll re-cap for you. Note the bolded text in the first quote.

Quote:

Scorpions are extreamly sensative to black lights.
Black lights are NOT good for scorpions and prolonged exposure to them can cause severe sunburns. Black lights should NEVER be used for anything other than locating a hiding scorpion. If youíre going to use a heat light, use a red one. Regular white lights are OK, but they donít like the light and will hide more. Your best bet is the red lights. They give off heat, the scorpions can not see them so will go about their regular business and they are not harmfull to them. UV lights are not good either as they too can cause burns. Unlike some reptiles, scorpions do not need *sunlight*.

Here is just one discussion about black lights and ultra violet lighting to start with. If you are that unfamiliar with scorpions perhaps some additional research on your part is in order and from muntipal sources. This topic also discusses other issues. Black lights
I am not going to spoon feed you or anyone else. Yes, scorpions do have "skin". Just because itís not like ours does not mean itís not skin. Just so we are clear here, I said PROLONGED exposure. If you are using it for short periods of time, youíre not doing any damage. If youíre using it every day for 12 hours straight, then damage can result. This is not a debate or arguement and does not need to become one. The point here is prolonged vs. occasional and that was made clear right from the top.

01/26/06  04:34pm

Topgun101
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 622302

More questions

this is not meant to offend any one but i will continue to use the light even after what has been written here, its not that im a stubborn twat (honest) but its as if the general rule is dont use them as long term heat sources. metz totally agree it aint worth debating, but if you think your spoon feeding people by giving your own opinions and findings then you are mistaken, everybody takes this information with a pinch of salt, me especially,

01/27/06  11:43am

Topgun101
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 623318

More questions

are there any labs that anyone knows of that conduct tests on arachnids, i have seen television programmes featuring tests like intense heating and cooling etc anyone any ideas

01/27/06  11:46am

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Topgun101   In reference to Message Id: 623321

More questions

Quote:

. metz totally agree it aint worth debating, but if you think your spoon feeding people by giving your own opinions and findings then you are mistaken, everybody takes this information with a pinch of salt, me especially,

They are not opinions, they are facts. If I state my opinion, I say itís my opinion. Just because some may not be aware of something does not automatically classify it as someone elseís opinion. You would do yourself and your scorpions a great service to *not* take everything with a grain of salt and actually start learning from more than one source and from the television.

Quote:

are there any labs that anyone knows of that conduct tests on arachnids, i have seen television programmes featuring tests like intense heating and cooling etc anyone any ideas

Yes, itís called RIESM. Research Institute for Exotic Species Microbiology

01/27/06  05:50pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area