Scorpions Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Adam L   Adam L   Adam L   Jknaup   Adam L  

Member  Message

Adam L
View Profile

First Time Owner

I decided to buy 3 Emperor Scorpions from a website because I was already paying the shipping fees to get a Savannah Monitor. I have never had any scorpions before but I did do a fair bit of research before ordering them. They arrived earlier today and are smaller then I expected at only about 2-3 inches each but I’m just used to seeing the larger Emperors at the local pet stores. Since arriving they all immediately went in to one of the 2 hides that I had set up in their 20 Gallon tank. One or 2 have already starting digging around inside the hide and the 3rd happily took 3 crickets. I intended to give each of them 2 crickets just to see if they would all take them but I could only reach the first one who was positioned right at the entrance to the hide as if guarding it. I will try to feed the other 2 Emperors later tonight when they should be more active.

I took the advice of one of the Emperor Scorpion care sheets posted on Repticzone and put rocks in the bottom of the tank with hardware cloth over them with about an inch of water then added 6 inches or so of top soil on top of that to keep the humidity high. I have a 50 Watt Night Glo (Purple) light for heat on one side of the tank which keeps it at around 80 on the warm side and 70 (Near Room Temperature) on the other side with a basking spot that is at 90. I don’t believe I saw anything that said a basking spot was necessary but I figure it’s there if they want it and there’s not much I could do to get rid of it short of using a smaller watt bulb and cooling the entire tank.

The first hide consists of a half log that is dug in to the ground with soil going over the top of it on the cool side. The second hide (The one that all 3 are currently in) is made with 2 small stones on top of a small crevice that I had dug in to the dirt. This one is on the warm side and the top doubles as the basking spot.

My feeding schedule for them is intended to be around 2 crickets each twice a week or 4 crickets each once a week. I’m not entirely certain yet. I also read that it may be beneficial to dust 1 of the crickets per scorpion each week with a bit of calcium dust but only the one so that you don’t harm the scorpion more than you would benefit it. I also have a small bowl with a bit of bottled water in it for them to drink from.

I will try to get some pictures of their enclosure later and possibly even manage to snap one or two of the actual scorpions. If I have anything wrong or if you have any suggestions / tips please comment and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Adam

05/24/12  11:54am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267488

First Time Owner

Top View

Front View

Cold Side Hide

Warm Side Hide, The one that they all are in.

Sorry, No pictures of the actual scorpions unfortunately.

05/24/12  01:26pm

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267497

First Time Owner

Quick little update, they never leave the warm side hide and have since burrowed a hole all the way down the side and around the back. I can almost always count on them to be hiding on the side about a foot in to the burrow.

06/03/12  05:52pm

Jknaup
View Profile

Message To: Adam L   In reference to Message Id: 2267488

First Time Owner

Your setup sounds good to me Adam its been years since ive been in the arachnid/herp hobby. I never had much luck with forest/ jungle species though. I am glad to hear your not one of those fools keeping them like there in a desert.
best of luck
justin

12/28/12  12:15am

Adam L
View Profile

Message To: Jknaup   In reference to Message Id: 2288374

First Time Owner

I actually sold them a month or so ago because they just weren’t that interesting to me. They were still perfectly healthy but I’m just not as interested as I had thought I was in them so it seemed like a waste to continue keeping them.

12/28/12  04:52pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area