Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Shanos   Qqqqz   Dualll   Shanos   Qqqqz   Dualll   Shanos   Dualll   Shanos   Dualll   Shanos   Jasonjgonzales  
 Member  Message

Shanos
View Profile

Heating for emperor scorps

hi i was wondering if some one could give me some advice i want a couple of emperor scorps but have never kept them before i have been reserching them a while now and feel confident i can keep them its just one thing i i need a bit of advice on pls . i live in sheffield england so it can get cold here wot wattage infered bulb should i get and wot light fitting for it also will i need a heatmat with that wot size mat would u recomend my terrarium is all glass and measures 60x45x45cm any help would be great thanks.

03/03/11  05:15am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Shanos   In reference to Message Id: 2207868

03/03/11  12:52pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Shanos   In reference to Message Id: 2207868

I think you will do fine with a 75W infrared heat bulb and if you need more heat, get a 100W one. You have to buy a heat lamp for the bulb as well. If you have a heat bulb you don’t really need a heat mat. If you still want a heat mat, get a large sized one and place it on the side, not the bottom, of the tank.

03/07/11  04:15pm

Shanos
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2208524

thanks for your help dualll its most apprciated

03/08/11  11:15am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2208524

I would recommend the ceramic heat emitters over the heat bulbs. They can stay on all the time and give off no light. They last a lot longer.

03/10/11  06:24pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2208967

The infrared heat bulbs can stay on as well. The red light that they give off enables you to watch your scorpions when they’re most active, which is during the night. The heat emitters last long, but they are sure as hell expensive though.

03/11/11  01:01am

Shanos
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2209021

are the infer red bulbs the same type of spot bulb u use for a lizard but just in red or are they something diffrent cause ive been looking for them on internet and cant seem to find them .ps thanks for your replies

03/11/11  06:25am

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Shanos   In reference to Message Id: 2209028

sure, they’re the ones for the reptiles. The zoo med ones work pretty well and are better than the exo terra ones in my experience. All the bulbs do is provide heat and give off that red lighting.

03/12/11  03:08am

Shanos
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2209207

oh right lol its just ive got some lizard bulbs because i have a bearded dragon and ive always got some spare .mine are prorep red night spot lamp bulbs and there 40w will they be ok for scorps .my lizard is in a 3 ft viv with this bulb and the temprature can get to 80 -85f normaly at baskin site stays bout 75-80f cool side some times it can get to 90f (when all the heatin is on lol)my scorp terrarium is only 60x45x45cm would a 40 w bulb be to powerful for that tank or not .also i have bought eco earth for substrate its in the brick form but it says on the instruction that for small animals and tarantulas you have to dry it out after prepearing it before you put it in terrarium do i have to dry it out before puttin it in for emps because they like it damp and most anyway ive also bought some forest moss as well do these two sustrates sound ok to make a nice habitat for emps .once again thank u for all ur help .

03/12/11  02:19pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Shanos   In reference to Message Id: 2209253

those red lizard bulbs are fine. They just have the pics of the reptiles on them because scorpions just aren’t popular. Make sure you’re not using those bright spot lamps because scorpions don’t like the lighting. If the bulb makes that part of the tank warm, then it is fine. The scorpion will move to the warm area if it likes it. If the bulb doesn’t produce enough heat, get a higher wattage one. Like said above, the substrate will be fine. Don’t ever have the substrate dry, emps need it moist.

03/12/11  07:23pm

Shanos
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2209290

thanks for all your help na the red bulbs are quite dull. yeah i didnt think i would have to dry the eco earth before puttin it in just thought i would check with someone whos keep them befor dose the eco earth and forest moss sound like a good combination of substrates for emps mate startin to get really excited now as ive almost got all the equipment i need . so i will be able to get my scorps in the next few weeks hopefully . its took me a bit longer because ive decided to do it right and get a nice terrarium so its cost me a bit more money but well worth it thanks for your help again mate i really appreciate it .

03/13/11  10:05am

Jasonjgonzales
View Profile

Message To: Shanos   In reference to Message Id: 2209369

you should get a head pad it allows the scorpiuon to go to a cooler spot if needed because it only covers about half the tank

09/02/11  06:10pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area