Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Qqqqz   Dualll   Qqqqz   Qqqqz   Qqqqz   Qqqqz   Qqqqz   Dualll   Qqqqz   Dualll  
 Member  Message

Qqqqz
View Profile

My scorpions

I’ve never posted here before. I’m usually in the snakes section. I’m pretty new to scorpions. I just got my emperors in October and just picked up a desert hairy a few days ago.

Any advice and information would be great.

I keep the emperors together and desert hairy by himself, obviously.
The emperors are on damp/wet cypress with a half log hide and shallow dish. Not much in there. Kind of boring setup.
The desert hairy is on purple sand with a half log hide that’s made of porcelain or something. I like that one because it gets warmer with the heater above the tank. I also have some plastic plant thing in there.
I don’t use lights because the regular room lighting with all the snake enclosures give off enough during the day. I use ceramic heat emitters so they can be on all day and night without giving off light.

Here they are.
Sorry about quality. I use my phone for pictures.

My emperors.
Took this picture the day I got them. They’re in a 20 gallon tank now. Is that too big?
I now use a regular wood half log than’s about two and a half times the size of that one. The one pictured is that porcelain (or whatever it is) one that I mentioned before. It’s now with the other scorpion as you can see in the pictures below.

My desert hairy.
I took the plant stuff out so I can get better pictures.

02/03/11  11:16pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2203158

My scorpions

Hey there, welcome to the world of scorpions!

Just a suggestion, but if you want your emps to burrow, you should get them coco-fiber substrate and put in several inches of it. Mine take advantage of how fine the ground fiber is and start digging right away. It also looks better than the cypress and you can also put in live plants. Try putting in a pothos plant to brighten up your setup. They’re a very easy plant to take care of and should do well in a tropical setup. They also help with keeping up the humidity and you don’t even have to remove them from the pot. If you plan on buying the coco-fiber, they’re almost always sold at pet stores and it’s best to get them in their compressed brick form because you get more for you buck. The pothos plant is a common plant found at any place that sells plants, pretty place.

20 gallons is pretty large, but it should be fine with 3 of them. As long as they can get their prey, the tank size should be ok. By the way, you could even put more scorps in if you wanted. As for the hide, I would put at least 2 in there so that they can go where they want. Instead of another half-log, try a piece of driftwood or aquarium decor. Those work well in terrariums. If you have more questions about scorpions, join this forum: scorpionforum.darkbb.com It’s a site mainly for scorps, but also has a bunch of other animal enthusiasts. They’re all friendly members and willing to help anyone :) I am H. laoticus on there.

02/04/11  03:55am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2203181

My scorpions

I have lots of those coconut fiber bricks around. I use them for my timor monitor. That’s what I wanted to use, but when I got them the guy told me to use cypress. Would it be okay to use both?

I’m also thinking of moving the emperors to one of the spare ten gallon tanks I have. The 20 gallon they’re in now has a pretty large crack in it along the top. Probably from sitting in the basement for so long. Either the weather changes or something fell on it.

Any advice on the desert hairy? You brought up using live plants for the emperors. I’ve been wondering if I could put a live, small cactus in with the desert hairy. Would that be okay?

02/04/11  04:26am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2203181

My scorpions

I have lots of those coconut fiber bricks around. I use them for my timor monitor. That’s what I wanted to use, but when I got them the guy told me to use cypress. Would it be okay to use both?

I’m also thinking of moving the emperors to one of the spare ten gallon tanks I have. The 20 gallon they’re in now has a pretty large crack in it along the top. Probably from sitting in the basement for so long. Either the weather changes or something fell on it.

Any advice on the desert hairy? You brought up using live plants for the emperors. I’ve been wondering if I could put a live, small cactus in with the desert hairy. Would that be okay?

02/04/11  04:26am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2203184

My scorpions

Another question about the desert hairy. I have it on the same feeding schedule as the emperors. Do they eat more or less or is it about the same?

02/04/11  04:31am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2203184

My scorpions

Oops, double post. Didn’t mean to do that.

02/04/11  04:32am

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2203185

My scorpions

Anyone...

02/08/11  12:19am

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2203705

My scorpions

I would stick to the coco-fiber because it’s easy for them to dig in and move through. You can put plants in with the desert hairy, but I’m not a big fan of sticking in cacti. If it’s a species that doesn’t have spines, I guess that would be ok, but I think they’re hard to keep alive. You can have the desert hairy on the same schedule as the emp. When they’re full, they’ll stop eating anyways so it’s not much of a problem. However, my desert hairy doesn’t eat as much as my emps.

02/09/11  06:19pm

Qqqqz
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2204024

My scorpions

I didn’t mean put a cactus in there that the scorpion could actually touch. I meant just stand one up in there in the thing it comes in.

I made a life-like, photo realistic picture of exactly what I’m talking about. I spent a long time on this , so all feedback would be appreciated.

02/09/11  09:11pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Qqqqz   In reference to Message Id: 2204043

My scorpions

Why don’t you give it a try then. I don’t know how high the pot will be, but scorpions are very good climbers. Who knows, it might climb it a bit and stop altogether. Either way, I’m not sure how well cacti do in tanks. They may or may not need special UV lighting. One thing’s for sure though, it’ll give the tank some nice texture and added color.

02/11/11  02:40am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area