Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Rosieteddybear   JC50   Rosieteddybear   JC50  
 Member  Message

Rosieteddybear
View Profile

Need help!

I have just acquired a young (I think) emperor scorpion. I found it in a box outside my door when I got home today. I have fostered many animals and rescued some exotics as well but this is my first experience with a scorpion. I need advice as to substrate, food, etc. It is currently housed in a 10 gallon tank on aspen shavings and I have a heater taped to the back of the tank not underneath) There is a screen cover and I put plastic over the majority of it to help with humidity. There is a hide and a shallow container of water and another with a few mealworms in it. What should I change? He (or she) seems to be very active right now, exploring all over, is this normal?

07/20/10  10:05pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Rosieteddybear   In reference to Message Id: 2163946

Need help!

I have two emperor scorpions and i use peat moss as a substrate and add some orchid moss which will hold the moisture.I spray the enclosure every two days and wet the soil pretty good as they like it damp and this will take care of the humidity.A ten gallon tank would be fine for a larger scorpion but may be too big for a smaller or juvenile scorpion and i do not use any kind of heating pad or device since i live in Florida and it is warm most of the year.The orchid moss sprayed every other day will help keep the humidity level where it needs to be and these scorpions are nocturnal and tend to be more active at night and hunt for food and tend to stay in their hide during the day time.I feed mine crickets,two a week and they have done fine with these as a food source and are cheaper than the meal worms.

07/21/10  12:58am

Rosieteddybear
View Profile

Message To: JC50   In reference to Message Id: 2163991

Need help!

Thanks for the info. I have mealworms on hand for my hedgehogs, I farm my own. I will pick up some crickets when I go to town again. I just fed the last of them to my beardie the day before the scorpion arrived. I’ll get some peat moss at the same time. I live in NY so while the weather is nice now, I will need an external heat source soon. Would a che be my best bet? or should I go with the red heat bulb? Also should I get him/her a companion or are they strictly solitary critters? Sorry for all the questions, Normally I have time to research the needs of a new animal, this one was a complete surprise but better it ended up here than just being turned loose.

07/22/10  09:27pm

JC50
View Profile

Message To: Rosieteddybear   In reference to Message Id: 2164459

Need help!

I like the red heat bulbs myself but a regular heat bulb would work.You can house them together and they usually live in large groups in the wild so a companion would be fine.I will be experiencing the New York weather next year when i move back to New York State and will have to invest in the heat sources again.Don`t worry about the questions because that is how we learn and i have no problem answering the questions i can.

07/22/10  10:35pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area