Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Scorpions Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mauge135   Sorpionlova   Mauge135   Sorpionlova   Dualll   Sorpionlova   Mauge135   Dualll   Scorpion-Newbie   Brandan_William   Dualll   Dualll   Xscotishxknight   Joemega82   A scorpion owner   Jewelfan74   MandibleHead   Hampster  

Member  Message

Mauge135
View Profile

Just got new emperor scorpion but might be having problems...

Alright so I just bought a new emperor scorpion from the pet store, got a 15 gallon tank (all they had) bought her a hollowed rock as a shelter and a water dish, using a sponge? Apparently they only drink out of sponges says the pet store guys. I also have a heating pad which is stuck on the bottom of the tank, covers roughly 1/3 of the tank.

So, she was fine the first couple of days, kept trying to climb the side of the tank which I figure is normal because she’s in a new environment. But now all she does is stay under her rock. I got her on the 18th of september and all she’s eaten is one cricket so far, wondering what I can do to make her more active/eat more. I’m kinda afraid that she’s gonna die which I really don’t want.

Any suggestions?

09/24/09  07:54pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Mauge135   In reference to Message Id: 2076079

well some scorpions are like that. i had my emp for 2 years and i use a shallow water dish for water... and they sleep most of there lives, and my scorpion eats 3 crickets for a few weeks but i always keep atleast 1 cricket in there. dont put to many in though because they will over eat. so its normal for a scorpion to hide alot and not eat alot. and i kept my female in a 10 gallon for 2 years and im planning to put her and a male in my 29 gallon when my bearded dragon gets a new 55 gallon tank...

09/24/09  09:26pm

Mauge135
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2076115

Ok, so it’s normal for my scorpion to be hiding away all the time? Getting kinda worried, I thought that maybe there might be something wrong with her or something. But thanks

09/24/09  09:30pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Mauge135   In reference to Message Id: 2076117

well im only 14 but i research my animals months before i get them. but thats just from my 2 year experience

09/24/09  09:33pm

Dualll
View Profile

Hey there, congrats on the scorpion :D
Glad you’re asking questions as well.

To get started, the water dish is fine, don’t use a sponge. It’s a breeding ground for bacteria.
The pet store guys don’t know what they’re doing most of the time to be honest. Emperor scorpions would rather drink from a dish in my opinion. Otherwise they’d have to suck the liquids from a bacteria infested sponge. It’s best to use filtered water for them too. Tap water has a lot of minerals and substances in it that may be harmful to your scorpion. Tap water also stains your enclosure glass.

For heating, make sure the heating pad actually heats up the tank. I bought one a while back and it really sucked. Didn’t heat anything. So feel the tank to see if it actually heated the enclosure. Also, remove the heat pad from the bottom and place it on the side of the tank. Placing it on the bottom is dangerous to the scorpion as scorpions typically burrow to escape high temperatures, so having it on the bottom plays against that.

Don’t worry, if she’s hiding, that means she’s happy. Emperor scorpions are known as "pet holes" which means they are usually found hiding. Just remember they are nocturnal creatures and are more active during the night. She can be more active if you raise the temperature in the enclosure. Don’t go past 85 degrees F though. You can’t make the scorpion eat more though, they have very slow metabolisms and will eat 2-3 times a week, which is a good feeding schedule to go on as well. They can fast for months as well.

So far I don’t see why your scorpion would die, seems healthy to me. Just get the sponge out and make sure the humidity is 70-80%. They are tropical scorpions and need humid environments. If you don’t have it already, make sure the substrate is coco fiber or peat. These substrates are great at holding humidity. They can be found at your pet store as well. Sand is a big no no for substrate by the way and so is bark chips. Sand and bark chips are horrible at holding humidity, which may cause death to the scorpion over time. To raise the humidity, simply dump water onto the substrate until it is moist to the touch but not soaking wet. You should have about 4-6 inches of substrate as well for burrowing purposes.

My scorpions are somewhat active. Instead of using hides where I can’t view the scorpion, I use drift wood or put in a pothos plant. They can still hide, but I can also view them more easily. To use live plants, make sure the plant can live in the enclosure environment first. Pothos plants are well suited for warm and humid conditions such as this. I just place the plant in a pot and put the pot into the enclosure. I water the pot when needed. The reason the plant is in a pot is because most plants can’t survive in coco fiber or peat, there aren’t any nutrients in the substrate. Just remember not to overfeed your scorpion either.
If you wish, you can even add a friend or two to your tank, gives you more opportunities to see one :D

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask!
Me and scorpion newbie are pretty much the only active members on this forum haha.

09/24/09  09:43pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2076123

yea, repeating what i already said, but u can also ask me, or u can read some care sheets.... either works

09/24/09  10:28pm

Mauge135
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2076138

thanks for all the help, I guess I gotta go to the pet store sometime soon. They told me that sand would be the best at the petshop, and that I Should stick my heating pad on the bottom of my tank, and to also use a sponge, should I get a gauge to measure the humidity in my tank and also get a thermometer? Basically, I need to know everything that I need for this scorpion because apparently the pet store guys don’t know what they’re doing by the sounds of it.

So I just took my heating pad off of the bottom of my tank, and put it on the back wall, is that ok? If not I can move it again.

09/25/09  11:21am

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Mauge135   In reference to Message Id: 2076282

hey, no problem
glad to help

Yeah, don’t listen to anything they say. It’s all wrong, good to do your own research.

Sand is absolutely the worse. Heating pad on the bottom is the worse and so is the sponge! I’ve talked with very experienced scorpion keepers who have kept hundreds of scorpions and that is no way to keep an emperor scorpion.

You don’t need a humidity gauge, just make sure the substrate is moist to the touch but not soaking wet.
That will be enough humidity for them.

The heating pad should always go on the side. Just make sure that it works and will actually heat up the tank. If not, I’d return the product and buy a heat lamp and use an infrared heat bulb. 60W will do. I can tell you more about heat lamps and bulbs if you wish.

I don’t have very good experiences with heat pads, so I don’t know if yours actually works. All of mine didn’t give out nearly enough heat. So i’d make sure the enclosure air is at least warm inside. That will do. If you live in an area where the temperature is always somewhat warm, you really don’t need a heating source for the scorpion. I use red bulbs for heating and for viewing the scorpion at night.
You can buy one of those thermometer strips if you have to, otherwise don’t waste money on any gauges, most of the time they don’t work unless you get a super expensive one. I am not using any thermometers, don’t need them at all.

Yeah, just leave the heating pad on the side. Check the air in the enclosure to see if the heating pad is doing its job. If not I’d look into getting a heat lamp and infrared light bulb. Ask me about that if the pad isn’t working.

09/25/09  12:15pm

Scorpion-Newbie
View Profile

Message To: Dualll   In reference to Message Id: 2076308

Ok so i knew duall would go on for 12 years, so didnt read any of what he said, so anything i say might of already been said but ill say what i know anyway, but oh my god that pet shop is bad, dont use sponges they harbour bacteria like mad, also put mat on side, if you put it on bottom will cook your scorpion. And as for the eating thing they can go for ages without eating, just try once a week or something and your know if it wants it, just tong feed it straight to him/her and if she wants it your know lol

09/29/09  02:05pm

Brandan_William
View Profile

Message To: Scorpion-Newbie   In reference to Message Id: 2078259

ok so i also jus bought a scorpion about a month and a half ago. And about a week after i got it home i noticed a large "bump" or swelling on just the left side of my scorpion. so i took it into the petshop i got it from and they told me that it was prego. But i know that if scorpions are prego that the whole abdoman swells not jus the one side. what could this possibly be from?

03/19/11  06:52pm

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Brandan_William   In reference to Message Id: 2210462

Looks kind of like this? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=173946

It’s usually referred to as an impaction. Not much is known about it in scorpions, but with other animals such as lizards, they result from consuming substances that either can’t be digested, are difficult to, or simply shouldn’t be ingested by the animal. My scorpion had that and it lived for over a year before passing away of unknown causes. You’re right, if the whole abdomen isn’t swelling, it’s not pregnant. If possible, I would switch that scorpion out for a different one.

03/21/11  04:14am

Dualll
View Profile

Message To: Brandan_William   In reference to Message Id: 2210462

Looks kind of like this? http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=173946

It’s usually referred to as an impaction although no one really knows what causes it. If it is an impaction, not much is known about it in scorpions, but with other animals such as lizards, they result from consuming substances that either can’t be digested, are difficult to, or simply shouldn’t be ingested by the animal. My scorpion had that and it lived for over a year before passing away of unknown causes. You’re right, if the whole abdomen isn’t swelling, it’s not pregnant. If possible, I would switch that scorpion out for a different one. And once again, I’m not sure if it’s an impaction to begin with--it could just be a result from a bad molt or just bad genes.

03/21/11  04:17am

Xscotishxknight
View Profile

they dont drink out of sponges they can drink in a normall water dish use distilled water i feed my emperor scorpion about 3 times a week and she does fine on that diet.
you should also have a heat lamp.they are more active when it is warm and less active when it is cold.she also may be in molt.make sure it humid in the tank.if they are draging there tail that may be a sighn of sickness

05/21/11  12:02am

Joemega82
View Profile

Message To: Mauge135   In reference to Message Id: 2076117

With the scorpion hiding all the time, from what I read up on, that means that they are happy and content, but thats what I read. I have researched on an emperor scorpion for a few weeks and bought just about everything I absolutely needed for him and was told from the guy at the pet store that they don’t need a heating lamp and a sponge could attract bacteria. He also said that they are nocturnal so they do most of there movin around at night and they don’t need light. When you shine a black light on them they glow green or bluish color, but be careful with the uv on them all the time it will hurt them. Something about since they glow they are more sensitive to UV light. Like I said I have had mine for a few weeks and I am just basing this information on what I have read. Some say open water bowl cause sponge attracts bacteria while others say don’t use open bowl they could drown, not too sure on who to listen to considering that they both say they are experts. They do however both agree on them hardly coming out of there hiding place, if its too cold (below 72 degrees) they won’t eat and if its too hot (above 85 degrees) they will be more active and sting themselves. I have only had mine for a day now and he hardly came out till 3 in the morning and wondered around for a good half hour 45 minutes, nice little show under a black light tho.

02/06/12  07:24pm

A scorpion owner
View Profile

I dont think they need heat rock and your sure its a she? they not need much water they get there water from the crickets they eat I had mines for awhile picked it up and held it

02/22/12  05:11pm

Jewelfan74
View Profile

First of all use a heat pad on one side NOT on bottom. Second it is very normal for them to hide so do not panic. Here is another tip to hold humidity in get an aquarium hood just be sure it has some ventilation and DO NOT put a light on your scorpian.

02/23/12  08:13pm

MandibleHead
View Profile

i fell 4 the sponge trick. get rid of the sponge . the bacteria from it kills them. resulting in u buying another scorp from the store. i have s a flashlight i flash in there when iwanna see him. dont overdo the flashlight . and use a small one. my cave is burried at 45 degres.. NO SPONGE. just have a small water dish . they like to go for adip now and then aswell. myn hung out there 4 about 20 mins. iwathed it drink the water for 5 mins. mb bathing and cleaning the mandibles not sure

03/15/12  05:01pm

Hampster
View Profile

if you want your scorpion to move what I do is move its house and usually spray it a few times and it will move. I have two emporers in a ten gallon tank all they do is sleep they are active at night I hear them alot mine used to clib the side but dont anymore.

05/01/12  11:31pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area