Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

R3PT1LE   Meee   Lizzylover143   Bryan001   Lizzylover143   Budah 14   Hillbilly   R3PT1LE   Meee   Panther903   Metz   Swimbball   Random-Bill   Tino   Metz   Random-Bill   Metz   Random-Bill   Metz   Meee   NEWTMAN456   Sathane   Hairylags   Hairylags   Metz  
 Member  Message

R3PT1LE
View Profile

Pick it up

i juss got ma emperor scorpion not to long ago and also i juss wanted to know how to pick it up

11/14/04  12:39am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: R3PT1LE   In reference to Message Id: 180889

Pick it up

why would you want to hold it? the would just put stress on the animal. if you must know, they dont sting the ground, so if you put your hand flat on the ground 5 inches a head of it, and get it to theink its groung (they arent natures A students) by coaxing it to walk onto your hand and you keep it relativley still, it shouldnt sting you

07/10/05  11:39pm

Lizzylover143
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 397444

Pick it up

just wanted to check out the scorpion stuff, and now i want one!! should i were gloves when i hold it??

08/01/05  01:22pm

Bryan001
View Profile

Message To: Lizzylover143   In reference to Message Id: 423819

Pick it up

you donít have to i never use gloves but if your scared of getting stung then you could wareíem until you more comfortable with it.

08/01/05  01:34pm

Lizzylover143
View Profile

Message To: Bryan001   In reference to Message Id: 423837

Pick it up

oh............ok

08/01/05  02:08pm

Budah 14
View Profile

Message To: Lizzylover143   In reference to Message Id: 423878

Pick it up

08/02/05  12:56am

Hillbilly
View Profile

Message To: Budah 14   In reference to Message Id: 424820

Pick it up

They way i pick up my emperors when cleaning the cage is, using my thumb and index finger, I grab the stinger ball then roll my hand backwards, draging the scorp into my palm. It seem to work well but to be honest, I cant see why anyone would want to hold them just for fun. They arent very affecionate and the sting is quite painful if you aggitate them.

08/02/05  08:55am

R3PT1LE
View Profile

Message To: Hillbilly   In reference to Message Id: 425002

Pick it up

wow why would you answer this post? it was posted in november by me i already got rid of my female emperor but i miss her so much.

08/03/05  11:36am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: R3PT1LE   In reference to Message Id: 426781

Pick it up

because so many people hold there scorps and piss it off them get mad when it pinches them and because i felt like it

08/06/05  06:09pm

Panther903
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 431165

Pick it up

why would you get animals that you canít hold, thatís plain retarded and quite cruel.

09/15/05  05:47pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Panther903   In reference to Message Id: 479715

Pick it up

Quote:

why would you get animals that you canít hold, thatís plain retarded and quite cruel.

In YOUR opinion. Now, how you can consider it "cruel" is beyond me, unless you think that the only animals worthy of keeping are cute, fuzzy kittens and puppies. You donít have or know anyone who keeps fish do you? Boy I hope not because that would be, in your words, "plain retarted and quite cruel"
For your education, seeing as how itís obvious you need some, the vast majority of people who keep inverts keep them for not only the simple fact that they like them, but also for scientific and educational purposes.
So, I ask to the masses, have you snuggled with your fish today?

09/15/05  08:24pm

Swimbball
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 479884

Pick it up

Quote:
You donít have or know anyone who keeps fish do you? Boy I hope not because that would be, in your words, "plain retarted and quite cruel"

LOL good one Metz

09/21/05  08:08pm

Random-Bill
View Profile

Message To: Swimbball   In reference to Message Id: 486305

Pick it up

did you bye the scorp or capture it? if it was wild when you got it it probobly, 99% of the time, has internal parasites. if you hold it you will put stress on the animal and the parasites react. this normally kills the scorpion and nothing can be done to stop it! you really shouldnt hold it. If you NEED, i MEAN NEED, to hold it pick it up by the tail and put your hand under it. or put a ladel in the cage and usher the scorpion in to it. dont use gloves as they maybe to cumbersome to feel the pressure you put on the scorpion. this should help prevent injeries or/and death.

10/11/05  04:57pm

Tino
View Profile

Message To: Random-Bill   In reference to Message Id: 508345

Pick it up

yeh ahhh

10/12/05  10:17pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Tino   In reference to Message Id: 509718

Pick it up

If a scorpion has internal parasites, (nematodes are the most common) then itís going to die...period. Parasites feed and lay their eggs inside their host and once their eggs develop, say good bye to the scorpion. Handling, while yes, stressing to a scorpion, will not have any effect on the production or lack thereof, of parasites.
There are ways to handle a scorpion without stressing it out. The easiest way to do that is to let the scorpion walk onto the hand on itís own, that way it is in "control" and is a lot more realxed.

10/14/05  06:35pm

Random-Bill
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 511327

Pick it up

oh, ok. my fault. i thought putting stress on the animal made the internal parasites damage its health. i didnt know it would die anyway. how long do the eggs take? (to kill the creature) oh well i brought mine from an arachnid dealer. she should be ok, i hope!

10/15/05  12:34pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Random-Bill   In reference to Message Id: 511850

Pick it up

If you bought yours from a reputable dealer, yes, she should be fine as most dealers will quarentine any wild caught stock they have for a minimum of one month up to six months. Parasite development depends greatly on the type of parasite. Pathogenic Nematode infestation usually take anywhere from one to 3 months to show its ugly self and the invert (depending on size) will die shortly thereafter, usually within a matter of days to weeks.
Now, donít let the threat of parasites scare you away from keeping scorpions (or spiders for that matter). Yes, it happens, BUT if they are purchased from reputable breeders/dealers, those possibilities are greatly reduced. In other words, buy captive bred and DONíT buy from the pet stores.

10/15/05  05:19pm

Random-Bill
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 512129

Pick it up

Thanks. I would never bye a scorp or any invert/insect from a petshop! :)
Im thinking of breeding some imperials/emporors, what would be a goog sized tank for both of them. I want to keep them in the same tank as i have limited room in my room. Should i put a big piece of slate in the middle for them to "dance"? And should i get two heat pads for a bigger tank? At the moment my girl has a 80* f heatmat, would i need to get two, one for each end of the larger tank? Thanx for the help :)

10/16/05  04:01pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Random-Bill   In reference to Message Id: 512958

Pick it up

I keep my breeding pair in a 10 gallon with lots of bark for them to hide in. If your tank heater is made for, say, a 10 gallon, then if thatís what you have, you shouldnít need two. If you have them in, say, a 30 gallon and your heat pad is only for a 10, then yes, get two and put them on the side of the tank, not the bottom.
For successful breeding, youíll want to make sure your temps and humidity stay high, at least in the 90s for both. Yes, youíll want a smooth stone or piece of slate for the male to do his thing. It should be roughly the same size as the scorpion, including tail.

10/17/05  12:29am

Meee
View Profile

Message To: Metz   In reference to Message Id: 513512

Pick it up

on the topic of killing, this actually has nothing to do with scorpions, but there is a bacterium that lives about 6 inches under the ground in southern canada and the mid western us that produce a substance s deadly, just 1 once (in liquid form) it would whip out all humans and apes, im not to sure about its affect on any other animals. yea. that sooo retains to scorpions dosent it?

11/05/05  12:07am

NEWTMAN456
View Profile

Message To: Meee   In reference to Message Id: 532032

Pick it up

Just slowly slip your hand under the scorpian. If you try it from above your in for a sting theyll think your a prdator and boom.

11/14/05  06:30pm

Sathane
View Profile

Message To: Panther903   In reference to Message Id: 479715

Pick it up

Retarded? I think wanting to hold the majority of scorpions or tarantulas is plain retarded. Furthermore, your scorpion doesnít want to be held either. Scorpions donít want or care for your affection. It is not cruel to not handle a scorpion. Scorpions do not need human (or even fellow scorpion) companionship to be happy and thrive.

To answer the post. Donít pick up your scorpion unless you are very comfortable with doing so. Use your thumb and forefinger to grab the segment of the tail before the telson (stinger). DO NOT pick it up by the telson as you can damage the joint connected to it. Pick it up in a smooth motion (not too fast) and place it down on your hand. Do not drop it into your hand or slam it. This will cause it to scurry off your hand or assume a defensive posture. Do this in a smooth motion. If you hold your scorpion by the tail for too long some scorpions will actually bend backwards and attempt to snip you.
Emperor scorpions very rarely sting, even when provoked, but when they do, it feels slightly more painful than a bee sting. You wonít suffer any life threatening effects from Emperor scorpion venom unless you are allergic to it, in which case, you will have an anaphylactic (severe swelling, shortness of breath, anxiety, etc.) reaction similar to those suffered by people with bee allergies. Having an EpiPen (epinephrine; injectable adrenaline) handy when handling your scorps is always a good idea since you donít want to learn that you are allergic to the sting after you have been stung and have nothing to hold you over while you make your way to the hospital.
Precautions should always be taken, even with Emperors, even though the very rarely use their telson. An Emperor will more than likely use itís pinchers rather than itís telson. An Emperorís pinchers are very strong and can draw blood.
I donít recommend handling your scorpions at all. The above is just a guidline for those who absolutely must handle them. The main reason I do not recommend handling them is not that they may hurt you but that there is a chance of the scorpion being injured or killed. A person who isnít very experienced with scorpions may jerk their hands away or flinch when the scorpion makes an unanticipated move and a fall from your hand will usually kill your scorpion.

11/17/05  12:41am

Hairylags
View Profile

Message To: Sathane   In reference to Message Id: 545589

Pick it up

Hey!! this metz guy what the hell man how come all you do on this website is diss people. Well i no your just trying to make people undersatnd more about herps but you dont have to be so harsh about it dude!!

12/12/05  08:16pm

Hairylags
View Profile

Message To: Hairylags   In reference to Message Id: 571546

Pick it up

its just my littel bro looks up to you couse u no so much and he was on my account a littel while ago and tryed giving someone edvice and you said somthin to him , made him feel pretty bad< lol he is very sencitive ??

12/12/05  09:10pm

Metz
View Profile

Message To: Hairylags   In reference to Message Id: 571594

Pick it up

Actually Hairy, I donít "diss" everybody. However, what I *will* do is shamelessly point out stupid, irrelevant remarks such as the one made here. I donít know who your little bro is nor do I have any clue what I may or may not have said, so, if youíd like to enlighten me Iíll be more than happy to apologize to him for offending him as (usually) that is not my intent....excpet of course when people post immature, ignorant comments like "anyone who would keep a bug as a pet is just plain retarted...."
By the way, Iím not a "man" or a "dude". Iím just a plain oleí "chick"

12/12/05  11:27pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area