Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

CorseForLife   CorseForLife   Pbcrazy187   FordGT891   The_sandboa   Pbcrazy187   The_sandboa   Pbcrazy187   CorseForLife   317_boa   CorseForLife  
 Member  Message

CorseForLife
View Profile

Howdy there! Just joined, pics and question

Hey there. Just joined up here. I absolutely love scorpions. Got my first scorpion quite a while back, a Paruroctonus boreus, from the wild. He’s a tiny little critter but from what I read they have a mean sting, not so much fun. Not one I’m willing to try and handle.

I recently got an Emperor scorpion, I call him zergy (inside nerdy joke with a friend).

First off here’s some pics of them first is the Paruroctonus boreous:

And here’s my emperor:

A few questions though: I’ve never actually HANDLED a scorpion and have been looking to work up the guts to do it. Anyone have any recommendations? I think I’d rather have it walk into my hand when he’s out and about walking around than pick it up by the tail. Helpful hints?

01/15/08  01:52pm

CorseForLife
View Profile

Message To: CorseForLife   In reference to Message Id: 1579657

Oh by the way does anyone have any recommendations as to where to find some of the more non-common scorpions? All the pet stores carry is pretty much emperor scorpions. I’d like one more tank and one more scorpion (girlfriend hated them at first, she’s grown to like them a bit more) so I wanted something a bit more uncommon and a little more exotic. Anyone have any recommendations on where to go for such a scorpion?

01/15/08  01:54pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: CorseForLife   In reference to Message Id: 1579661

hey welcome to the forum. you have some nice scorpions there. as for other scorpions im not sure. i have Babycurus jacksoni.(rusty thick tail). they are some pretty cool scorpions. and they can live in trios. i dont know if you like them or not. i purchased mine at a reptile show. but it had 20 babies. haha

01/17/08  08:59pm

FordGT891
View Profile

Message To: CorseForLife   In reference to Message Id: 1579661

Hello! I am a new member as well, so other people might know better, but if you check your local shops, they might be able to get different ones in by request. There are several site that offer them, but shipping adds a lot to the cost. I would start by asking a shop. I just got a new scorpion yesterday that came in by special request.

Ps- Great pics!!!!!

01/17/08  09:00pm

The_sandboa
View Profile

Message To: FordGT891   In reference to Message Id: 1582974

pick him up by the tail and set him in your hand and let him walk freely

01/22/08  06:31pm

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: The_sandboa   In reference to Message Id: 1589910

what? no. don’t do that it can hurt them. either pick them up on a piece of paper or something. or just reach down and scoop them up. that is how i have always done it. its how i do it with my rusty thick tails, desert hairys, and emps.

01/23/08  10:20am

The_sandboa
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 1590840

ive always picked mine up by the tail and hes never got hurt but do what you want its your pet.

01/23/08  10:26am

Pbcrazy187
View Profile

Message To: The_sandboa   In reference to Message Id: 1590843

i used to pick them up by the tails. when i first moved out here to nevada and started catching them. but as i got more interested in keeping them as pets i began to do research and i read it was not good to pick them up that way. but like you said its your pet.

01/24/08  12:49am

CorseForLife
View Profile

Message To: Pbcrazy187   In reference to Message Id: 1591884

Thanks everyone,

I’ll try the scooping or paper trick. I read that if you pick it up by the tail it can still pinch you sometimes? I think I still have to get the guts up to do it....

01/30/08  12:54am

317_boa
View Profile

Message To: CorseForLife   In reference to Message Id: 1601131

No matter how you pick it up it can still sting you or pinch you. Thats just something you got to get use to. Theys no way to keep an animal from hurting you if it wants to unless its locked up all the time.

01/30/08  12:59am

CorseForLife
View Profile

Message To: 317_boa   In reference to Message Id: 1601133

Well, tried it tonight with some gloves on. Got him in my hand, went to put him in and he wouldn’t let go of the glove. He decided to hang on and start crawling up my arm. Perhaps he was scared (so was i haha!) and he finally got off of it and back into his tank. Next time I think I’ll leave the gloves out of the picture so he can’t get stuck like that. I think it freaked him out when he went to get off the glove and his let got hooked on the glove, he got jumpy. Either way, he didn’t seem to care what he was walking on... if it was a surface and he could walk on it he didn’t care either way. As I read on here "The biggest chore is actually getting the nerve to do it in the first place". For now I’ll leave him be.

Few questions as to their aggressive behavior.... when they’re in "i’m upset mode", do they generally have their pinchers open or closed? I was curious if anyone with any other emperors were able to tell their behavior fairly well and could give some examples.

My other little scorpion tends to have his pinchers open, tail raised and claws sort of outwards when he’s ready to go at something. Throw a cricket or juicy house spider in there and he’s on it like a rat on a cheeto. However, my emperor acts a tad differently and tends to look "dormant" or fairly "docile" most the time, even if startled I have yet to see him really bother to even pinch anything unless it’s food.

Sorry for the newbie questions. I love scorpions to death and have been studying up on them as much as possible. I find them extremely interesting pets. Not quite the norm house pet, but, I find them interesting and beautiful to me, therefore I enjoy them.

Thanks again for everyone’s replies by the way. Very nice forum full of nice people.

01/30/08  06:04am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area