Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Albinorosyboa   Ditzzy   Albinorosyboa   Albinorosyboa   Ditzzy   Albinorosyboa   Ditzzy   Ditzzy   Gearhead778   B-Fish   Gearhead778  
 Member  Message

Albinorosyboa
View Profile

Scorpion questions

Im thinking about getting a empior scorpion soon and was wondering if ne one can tell me some basics.. im also doing some research befor i get one. i just want to know as much as i can befor i do get one.. i have exp. with reptiles i grew up with them all my life snakes, bearded dragons, suger gliders, spiders, ect but no scorpions n i have always wanted one..

if u are here to be a jerk plz dont post there to much of that on the snake fourms thanks..

12/16/07  03:31pm

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: Albinorosyboa   In reference to Message Id: 1548368

Scorpion questions

Emperor Scorpions (pandinus imperator) live up to 7-8 years and grow up to 4-6 inches, the females grow larger than the males. A single scorpion can live in a ten gallon tank, make sure there is at least 4 inches of spahnum peat moss (the recommended substrate) for them to burrow. They eat once a week. There must be a shallow water bowl. There should be at least 2 hides. the temps should be at 75- 80 degrees F. And humidity 75- 80%. They should be handled sparingly, if at all. They are as venomous as bees, and if you are allergic to bees, then most likely, you are allergic to them as well. *Remember they stress easily and are healthier if left alone. An invisible Emp. is a happy Emp.*

This isnít all you need to know. Please do a bit of research about their history, as well as their care.

12/16/07  05:31pm

Albinorosyboa
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1548462

Scorpion questions

thanks for the info i have been doing quite a bit of research on them alot of it is the same stuff you said.. i was planning on the 2 hides n a shallow water bowl with peat moss in a corner should i use coconut fiber that comes in the bricks for bedding ? if so should it me loss or packed down ? any thing else i should know ? about what NOT to do

12/16/07  05:47pm

Albinorosyboa
View Profile

Message To: Albinorosyboa   In reference to Message Id: 1548481

Scorpion questions

can you post a pic of your set up so i can get an idea plz

12/16/07  06:01pm

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: Albinorosyboa   In reference to Message Id: 1548503

Scorpion questions

You can use coco fiber if you donít have peat moss, I donít know about packing it down or not. My camera is broken at the moment, but Iíll post a pic as soon as I can. Also, I forgot to mention that UV lights can stress them out and kill them over a period of time. You shouldnít mess with them or the tank, any more than nessacary.

12/16/07  07:44pm

Albinorosyboa
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1548634

Scorpion questions

ya i read that the light will kill them... ill use coco fiber for beddeing n pear moss in corner... what do u do for heating ? like under tanking heater or ne thing ?

12/16/07  08:41pm

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: Albinorosyboa   In reference to Message Id: 1548752

Scorpion questions

Why are you going to put some peat moss in a corner? You only need a heating source if your house gets cold, my room stays at around 75 degrees F, so I donít use any heat equipment. If your house gets cold then yes, an under tank heater is good to use.

12/17/07  05:26pm

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1549438

Scorpion questions

I donít know if youíre still paying attention to this post but hereís my setup... Itís an 18 gallon storage tote with holes drilled in the sides. The substrate is peat moss and there is one log, one half a log, and one coconut hut thing. I used the lid of a plastic container for the water dish and i got some cardboard, dug a shallow hole and placed the board on top and covered it with moss. The humidity and thermometer things fell off Iíll have to put them on better.

Here:

This is Gieko

Thanks. Hope this isnít too late.

12/27/07  07:45pm

Gearhead778
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1557995

Scorpion questions

can i use sphagnum moss as substrate?

01/02/08  01:11pm

B-Fish
View Profile