Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Ditzzy   LZRDBOY   ImTheDaddy   Ditzzy  
 Member  Message

Ditzzy
View Profile

New Substrate=Acting Wierd?

I replaced my p. imperatorís fake sand with peat moss, and I moved him from a ten gallon tank to an 18 gallon tank. As soon as he got in the tank, he was instantly covered in the stuff. His feet had huge lumps at the end and his claws are collecting chunks. He doesnít seem to like it. He would walk in his water and the stuff comes off, then heíd immediatly go up and sit on his log or something. He walks around the perimeter of the tank, (i guess heís checking it out) then he runs in the water and onto his log.

Did I have to pack the peat moss down? I just sort of filled it up loosly.

Also, I only had like an inch of that fake sand, and he was always trying to dig in it. Now, he has 3 and a half inches to burrow and he has no idea what to do.

It just sounds wierd. Did yaílls scorps do that when they were first introduced to their tank?

12/12/07  11:09pm

LZRDBOY
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1544899

well try adding the sand back in and mix it up and then see the reaction of ur scorpion, its behavior should change the sand might help it or keep it from sticking to the claws of ur scorpion also try sticking a small zip-lock lid in there or any durable container lid and cover it with a lil substrate then take ur finger and lightly dig under with ur finger but just enough so it can feel under the lid and its able to dig the rest out by its self, REMEMBER to NOT put alot on top of the lid if u go through with the idea and lightly pack the sand in the area that u are going to place the lid!

12/13/07  10:09am

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: LZRDBOY   In reference to Message Id: 1545133

Ok fist things first. Sand should never be used as substrate for P. imperator (Emperor scorpion) They are forrest dwelling scopions who like to burrow. Peat moss is a good subsrtae for P. imperator eventually your scorp will adjust to the new substrate. The best substrate i have found for P. imperator is coco brick or jungle bed it hold humidity well and also holds a very good burrow.

You need to make sure you have 2 hides for P. imperator to hide in. Slightly dig the hides out and your scopion will do the rest..

Are you able to post a pic of your setup...

ITD

12/14/07  10:17am

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 1546275

Yes I know that sand isnít good. Thatís why I changed it. I already have slightly dug out all three hides. But heís staying on top of his log, I donít think heís moved these past two days. My camera is broken so I canít post a pic of it yet.

12/14/07  05:51pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area