Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Job For A Cowboy   Faery   B-Fish   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   LedZeppelinfan101   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   Job For A Cowboy   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Tefoe   Job For A Cowboy   B-Fish   Job For A Cowboy   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   Job For A Cowboy   Faery   Job For A Cowboy   LZRDBOY  
Pages 1 2 Next
 Member  Message

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

My Emp and a feeding question!!!

Here is my Emp which i bought the other day. It lives in a 10 Gallon tank so he has loads of room for his life time of growing. I have done my research but just wondering how to feed him because i put several pinhead crix in but he doesnít seem to do anything with them.
Iíve also crippled a black cricket and left him to die in the tank so that Cyrax (His name) can eat him and this will also let me know if Cyrax can catch the pinheads.

Here are a couple pics i took, enjoy:

11/04/07  06:35pm

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1501252

Emps do not like small prey. How old is yours? MY Babies are 8 months old. They eat 4 week old Crix or full grown superworms. Try something larger. Rayna :-)

11/04/07  08:34pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1501454

I dont know that emperor scorpion looks very yougn

11/04/07  08:49pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1501482

Yeah he/she is only a baby and iím hoping that he would of tried to eat the larger cricket by now but i canít check til iím home. Thanks for the info.

Would it be better to put the scorpion in a cricket box with a criecket to find out if it will eat it or not?

11/05/07  05:53am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1501867

When Mine were tiny, I cut the heads off of Superworms and the babies just sucked out the insides. If yours is as young as He looks, I`d still be feeding Him Pre-Killed prey. I was SO scared something was going to injure them when they were tiny.
Rayna :-)

11/05/07  10:03am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1502012

Good idea! Thanks

Also another thing, when i bought him the people who worked there told me it was good to use sawdust for him. I told them i have never heard of using sawdust for a scorpion and asked if it was dangerous and they said no and thatís what they use.

Confused....i have Bulb Fibre Compost if sawdust is a bad idea.

11/05/07  11:30am

LedZeppelinfan101
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1502094

P. imperator is a humidity loving species so sawdust would be horrible for them. It also depends what youíre calling "sawdust" though. i would use something such as sphagnum peat moss, or some kind of coco fiber bedding. Thatís what I had my pairs of Emps on that I bred.

11/05/07  02:53pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: LedZeppelinfan101   In reference to Message Id: 1502296

Ok thanks. Do you think Bulb Fibre Compost would be okay then?

11/06/07  07:30am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1503304

I`m not sure what that is. The word compost makes me think of Cow manure, tho...LOL. I use EcoEarth. It holds the Humidity Super well. Oh, And mine are in plastic enclosures, not glass tanks, I don`t have to mist as often to keep the humidity up. Rayna :-)

11/06/07  08:53am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1503359

Lol. I like your enclosure.

I think iím going to give it a shot with the compost for now as i have no way of getting anything else for a while and i donít want him to be cooped up in sawdust if he doesnít like it!

11/06/07  09:20am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1503376

Just read the bag of compost. See what it`s made of... he will be much happier in a moist substrate than He will be in sawdust.

11/06/07  09:23am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1503379

The compost i am considering to use says:

"Gem bulb fibre contains all the ingrediants needed to give you beaufiul flowering bulbs both indoors and out. Prepared to a traditional formula, it contains oyster shell, wood charcoal and a special fertiliser to improve growth and flower colour. In addition it also contains nauturally occuring micro-organisms that combat mould and disease in your bulbs"

So basically itís for flower use...lol but can it be used? I would make it moist once or twice a day to keep the humitidy up. I also use this compost on my Giant African Land Snails and they seem fine in it.

11/06/07  10:19am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1503379

The compost i am considering to use says:

"Gem bulb fibre contains all the ingrediants needed to give you beaufiul flowering bulbs both indoors and out. Prepared to a traditional formula, it contains oyster shell, wood charcoal and a special fertiliser to improve growth and flower colour. In addition it also contains nauturally occuring micro-organisms that combat mould and disease in your bulbs"

So basically itís for flower use...lol but can it be used? I would make it moist once or twice a day to keep the humitidy up. I also use this compost on my Giant African Land Snails and they seem fine in it.

11/06/07  10:19am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1503421

Oops double post, sorry.

Here is a picture that i took of the tank with the sawdust.

11/06/07  10:21am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1503423

Quote:

Prepared to a traditional formula, it contains oyster shell, wood charcoal and a special fertiliser to improve growth and flower colour. In addition it also contains nauturally occuring micro-organisms that combat mould and disease in your bulbs"

IMHO, NO...Mainly because of the fertilizer. It could harm your Scorpion. Best thing to use would be either Canadiam Spaghnum Peat Moss or Ecoearth. Soak down the sawdust real good several times a day until You can get either one of the other substrates. I would be VERY scared to put my Scorps in anything with fertilizer in it. Rayna

11/06/07  11:37am

Tefoe
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1503423

That compost stuff is definitely a big problem if you use it,so donít....
And it looks like you have him on pine shavings right now..
Thatís not much better.........

what you could possibly do is just go get some dirt from your back yard,if you donít used pesticides/fertilizers,and bake in your over for a few minutes......

Or go look for the things people have mentioned above....

11/06/07  02:43pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Tefoe   In reference to Message Id: 1503739

Ah thanks.

Iím going to go buy something suitable in a couple of days when i have the money. Iíl ask at my local pet store about the substrates you gus have mentioned. Thanks :)

11/06/07  06:38pm

B-Fish
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1504092

hey Job For A coybow where did you buy your cage and for how much that cage is pimpin

11/06/07  09:00pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: B-Fish   In reference to Message Id: 1504278

I live in the UK and i bought it on the cheap at a pet superstore named Watermarque. It only cost me £20 because it has a tiny crack near the top of it but i thought it was a good buy and suitable for Cyrax.

11/07/07  05:00am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1504647

Here is my latest pic of Cyrax. Does he look unhappy if there is a way you can tell? Iíve noticed that he doesnít like the sawdust stuff much and tries to avoid it or goes in the corner of the tank.
Iíve also still not seen him eat at all. But i canít find the pinhead crix i left in the tank a few days back. Is it possible he could of eaten them or are they just hiding?
I left a couple of dead ones on a plastic lid for him but itís just ignored.
I will ask my local pet superstore asap about getting a better/proper substrate!

11/07/07  06:26pm

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1505329

He looks as if He is Fixin` to shed. You REALLY need to keep His humidity up or You will lose Him to the Molting.
Rayna

11/07/07  10:05pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1505704

Ok thanks. Iíl stick a heat mat under his tank tonight and spray his tank with warm water every few hours, is that what i should be doing?

11/08/07  04:28am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1505953

That will work for now...Once You`ve got a suitable substrate, It will hold a hot of the humidity in for You and You won`t have to mist Him so often. But for right now, Yes I`d spray Him several times a day and really soak that sawdust that He`s in. Rayna

11/08/07  07:23am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1505995

Oh right, thanks alot. Iím at college atm but iíl soak the sawdust asap when iím home. Should i use warm water or just cold?

11/08/07  10:10am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1506074

Luke warm water

11/08/07  10:53am

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1506130

Okay itís done. Iíl spray the tank completly with luke warm water again today and tommorow i will have some proper substrate finnally. Thanks Faery

Iíll post back in a couple days to let you know how things are going :)

11/08/07  12:37pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1506248

Iíve been unable to find any kind of íPotting Soilí for Cyrax today, i checked all but one pet store, the other i couldnít get to (Is where i bought him from). I couldnít find any gardening stores either but my parents are going to pick some up for me tommorow.

They are also going to buy some superworms so that i can feed them to him and i will know that he is eating.

My current substrate, sawdust has been kept soaked in luke warm water as told and thereís a heatmat in there now too. Cyrax has been hiding/burrowed under his large mountain rock thing and the heatmat is below that , is this good or bad?

11/09/07  02:06pm

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1507432

That`s about the best You can do until You get the Peat Moss or EcoEarth. Lemme know if He molts...Rayna :-)

11/09/07  10:43pm

Job For A Cowboy
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1507998

Damn, stoopid parents wernít able to pick up any Superworms or potting soil for me. The only days i could get the soil will be on Wensday (4 days).

I crippled up a large black cricket and dropped it infron of him today and he seemed to be very aware that the food was there but just stood there for 15 mins then eventually went back to hiding.

Could this be to do with the molting?

11/11/07  02:01pm

LZRDBOY
View Profile

Message To: Job For A Cowboy   In reference to Message Id: 1509722

it is a posibility that hes going to shed or molt and hes doesnt seem to be getting smaller from the last pic. u posted, and if u wanna save sum time on misting the cage i would put a folded up towl over 95% of the open part of that cage to secure the air flow and to hold the moisture as well but make sure u dont have a light on him not only that scorpions really hate lite so just keep with a heat mat and the towl over most if not all the open part of the cage but remember no lites.

11/12/07  12:22am
Pages 1 2 Next

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area