Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Madalyn   THEANIMAL250   Madalyn  
 Member  Message

Madalyn
View Profile

Substrate Trouble! Confused!

So everything I’ve read tells me that Emperor Scorpions do well with a combination of Vermiculite, Peat Moss, Sphagnum Moss, and /or Potting Soil. Well, I found a combination of all of these in a bag of "Seed Starter Mix" for plants. Seemed perfect! Until a few days later after getting my Emperor Scorpion I noticed little tiny buggies crawling under the soil and on the surface! Mites? I don’t know what they are, but very small and brownish. I’m not going to take any chances of my Scorp getting mites, so I’ll change it when I can find a good replacement substrate! Any suggestions for a good MITE-FREE substrate? Thanks in advance!

08/14/07  04:41pm

THEANIMAL250
View Profile

Message To: Madalyn   In reference to Message Id: 1403376

At pets smart they sell this stuff in a shape of a brick. You put it in a bucket of water and in 30 minuets it triples in size. I got 2 and put 1 and a half in my scorpions 20 gallon cage. They love the stuff. Its some type of soil made for tropical species. It stays damp too so humidity is always up for the scorpions. I have had the stuff for about 2 months now. Randomly 3 says ago black flies have appeared in the cage though. They dont go near the scorpions and there not from soil. Mabey from the smiley roaches i bought at store??

08/14/07  07:01pm

Madalyn
View Profile

Message To: THEANIMAL250   In reference to Message Id: 1403628

Awesome! That sounds great and I think I know what it is: Coco fiber! I hope I have better luck with it.. Thanks!

08/15/07  12:32am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area