Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Bossdoe   Madalyn   THEANIMAL250   Bossdoe   Faery  
 Member  Message

Bossdoe
View Profile

New scoprion...need info please...

hey, its almost 2 months i had this scorpion, and now it wont eat, i feed it crickets. but now he just crushes the ones he catches and wont eat them. and i read something about mites on here, and i noticed today there are some on his belly, how can i get rid of these? and any other info would be cool.
id throw a pic up but i dont know where to upload it at.
thanks,
AB

08/14/07  12:13am

Madalyn
View Profile

Message To: Bossdoe   In reference to Message Id: 1402519

Um from what I know, and I’m a noob too, you can get a soft paintbrush, unused, an brush the mites off or spray them off with your water mister. If you can reach under his belly, then do a complete substrate change and wash the tank. Hopefully your scorp will be fine then, but I’m also having problems finding a substrate without bugs in it! If you have any natural wood things in the tank that you found outdoors that can be the culprit too! I know the pre-made wood log hideouts at Petsmart Are SO EXPENSIVE!!! But they are probably bug-free. Hope that helps a little, but like I said, i’m not an expert, Hope your scorp is doing okay!! :)

08/14/07  04:46pm

THEANIMAL250
View Profile

Message To: Madalyn   In reference to Message Id: 1403384

What do the mites look like?? The mites are probably not affecting how it eats. He could be getting ready to molt or mabey he is full. Sometimes scorpions can go 2 weeks without eating. There are mites you can buy that will eat the mites on your scorpion. These mites you buy will not go near you scorpion as well.

08/14/07  06:55pm

Bossdoe
View Profile

Message To: THEANIMAL250   In reference to Message Id: 1403621

everything i have in the tank is bought form the store so i dont they came from there, probly a dead cricket though eh?
and the mites...they look like little white pieces of dirt, tiny things. i got one off him last nite with a wet q-tip. what else can they eat? crickets... i might get some worms for him. but im not too sure, and i dont think the ppl at the petstore know too much about them. they said its an emperor though. i pick him up every now an then too, do you know how bad the sting gets? if i get stung should i go to the hospital?
thanks guys.

08/15/07  12:59am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Bossdoe   In reference to Message Id: 1404053

Mites are a naturally occurring parasite in soil & water. If You are using a natural substrate, You have to very observant for mites. Yes, Dead prey is what "brings" them. I feed mine Super worms and roaches. I put the prey in alive for the adults and kill it for the babies. I have to be very careful to clean out all leftovers the next morning. I have had mites in the Baby tank. Baking the peat Moss will kill the mites, but it`s just as easy to replace it with fresh substrate. Both of my daughters say they have been stung by the baby Scorps and that it just tingles. It`s been compared to a mild Bee sting. Rayna

08/15/07  04:51pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area