Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Exoticlove   Sonorone   Exoticlove  
 Member  Message

Exoticlove
View Profile

A Few Questions About Keeping Scorpions

First off..I would like to know of easy to care for species not highly venomous either (Cause I rather live you know a few more years)
Sencond How long do they live
and Third can certain species live in a 10gallon tank all their lives.....

08/02/07  01:12pm

Sonorone
View Profile

Message To: Exoticlove   In reference to Message Id: 1385250

hey exoticlove. i well say i am no means a real expert but got some experience under my belt now. I am currently doing alot of research myself for another scorpion and could help you out. well two species i can think of off hand is first off the emperor scorpion(pandinous imperator) is probably the most popular starter scorpion and tons of info out there on them. they are docile. good size, easy to care for and not very potent venom unless you are allregic. I believe they are a more tropical higher humidity (there are plenty of keepers here that can give advice).

I myself went with a more drier desert species which is the hadogenes troglodytes or the african flatrock. pretty much like the emperor scorpion except drier environment and a little more nervous (not a good handling species although some do). it is more apt to pinch than sting and likes to stay hidden under rocks however mine gets out at night a few times a week anymore.

For your second question i believe most are one the average of 5-8 years and depends on species. I am pretty sure the 2 species i mentioned are longer living from what i have seen.

Finally any scorpion I know of is fine itís whole life in a ten gallon as long as you have plenty of hides and proper set up for the species you choose. in fact if you get a scorpling of some type you may want to find something smaller. I even know alot of scorps will do fine in a 5.5 gallon. thatís what I am currently keeping my flatrock in now (although he might get a ten gallon upgrade soon). one of the thing that attracted me to inverts recently. I got a gouse that I am running out of space but like having exotic/unusual pets as a hobby so once I found out how inverts can really take up little space I have been all over them. hope this helps you out and do lots of research.

08/02/07  01:55pm

Exoticlove
View Profile

Message To: Sonorone   In reference to Message Id: 1385295

Thankyou yeah I have heard about the emperor scorpion being great starter scorpions so I think I will look into them first then I shall check out the african flatrocks...

08/02/07  03:32pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area