Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Mephistopheles   Faery   Mephistopheles  
 Member  Message

Mephistopheles
View Profile

Help a Newbie?

Ok so I just got my first scorp that I have wanted since I was 9.. I am now 32 and still feel as ignorant as I did then. I have him/her in a 10 gal tank, with about 5 inchís of topsoil and some lil hides and stones and all that fun stuff. But my concerns are as follows. What is the best way to heat the tank? I read about UTH, and I feel bad to say this but.... what is that? I have seen that many people on here seem to REALLY know their stuff, Like Rayna/Faery. So I thought this was the place to go. Also I am getting mixed answers on lights... some say no light.. some say red light... I understand about the black ( I just use that to peak in at night). I am trying to learn all I can here and I want to be a good "daddy" to the scorp... someone please teach this newbie how to do that.

Thanks, J.

07/29/07  01:18am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Mephistopheles   In reference to Message Id: 1378900

Help a Newbie?

Hi J,
Before I got my first Emp, I did TONs of research. That`s why I feel confidant in the advice I give. When my EMP unexpectedly gave birth, I came running back here for help...LOL. I got some great advice from several people on here. This is a great learning place. Anyway, a UTH is an under the tank heater (or Heat Mat). For Emps, You need to put the UTH on the side of one end of your tank (not underneath on the bottom). This creates a warm side. The other end will be the cool side. You need to have a hide available on both ends (cool & warm). Temperature needs to be 80+ (can actually go as high as 95) on the warm side and as low as 70 on the cool side. Humidity needs to stay above 80% to aid in Molting.
I have NO lights at all on my tank. My scorp tank is sitting accross the room from a window. So, My scorps know when the sun is up. I think that is much more natural for them. I use a small watt bulb (for my own benefit) when I feed them. I always feed after 9:00PM. and remove any "Parts & peices" of dead prey by 7:00AM the next Morning. I prefer using Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss as substrate. It hiolds the humidity better and is great for burrowing. Plus some topsoils have chemicles in them. I think I`ve covered the basics. If You have any other questions, please post again. OH! What are You feeding yours? and how old is it? Rayna :-)

07/29/07  08:13am

Mephistopheles
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1379038

Help a Newbie?

Thanks Rayna! Right now I have fed it a few small crickets. I have only had it one day, so I havenít experimented much yet. I have a heat pad on one side of the tank and hides on both sides. As for its age, Iím not sure. It was an early Bday present from my lil bro and they bought it at a reptile convention. I believe it is male, but without an opposite gender to compare to Iím not sure. Seems to have long combs, but like I said, hard to compare to nothing. Thanks for all the advice and if you can think of anything else to help this newbie, please do!

Thanks, J.

07/29/07  11:19am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area