Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Carmelita   Faery   Carmelita   Carmelita   Carmelita   Cr4nk   Carmelita   Carmelita   LedZeppelinfan101   Carmelita  
 Member  Message

Carmelita
View Profile

Feeding s値ings question

Can a very young baby eat cut up mealworms, or does it have to be whole? If not, how small does the mealworm have to be?

Pinhead crickets are going to be hard for me to get, so what other options do I have for feeding something that small?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

07/12/07  01:12pm

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1355691

Feeding s値ings question

What kind of Scorplings do You have?

07/12/07  10:20pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1356302

Feeding s値ings question

Um, none, now.
Sorry, just disregard the post.

07/13/07  01:37pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1357144

Feeding s値ings question

Not to be confusing, but I have four live striped bark scorplings, and the mother.

When I posted the last post, I thought they were all dead, but I guess they weren稚.

I bought pinhead crics, but they have not touched them. The pinheads are bigger than the slings!

When I had them all together, the mother was eating the babies, so I separated the mother, but kept the babies together, then the babies started eating each other! Some just died. Some look deformed. Now I have the four live ones that are left each in their own enclosure (small enclosures).

I do happen to have baby mealies that just hatched, so I will try to feed those today sometime.

Any advice for getting these things feeding (besides each other)?

I am finding very little info on sling care for this species. They are supposed to be communial, but they sure are not acting that way.

I bought a book too, but there is very limited sling care info in there too.

Could it just be a poorly gestated group of babies? (I ask this because of the deformities)

Thanks for any help!

07/17/07  10:12am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1362298

Feeding s値ings question

I have now tried crushed up baby mealies, crushed up adult mealies, & crushed up pinheads. I put the "dead bug buffet" in a small container, and the four live slings in there with all that food. They STILL won稚 eat.

Please, can anyone HELP??

07/17/07  04:02pm

Cr4nk
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1362804

Feeding s値ings question

Many times when the scorp lings are with the mother the mother will kill adult crickets and leave them for the babies to eat. Try smashing the heads of adult crickets and putting them in with you scorplings. Also about the deformations, was your temperature and humidity accurate for gestation and for proper growth. Also scorplings grow very fast and scorpions dont eat before they molt so they may be ready to molt. I wish you the best of luck and I hope your scorpions make it.

08/12/07  06:39pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Cr4nk   In reference to Message Id: 1400535

Feeding s値ings question

Hey, Thanks

I have the mama and three babies left, and all are eating really well now. The babies are still pretty tiny. Tiny but PLUMP! LOL

They are wild caught, I found the mama with the babies on her back already.

08/26/07  04:03am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1419627

Feeding s値ings question

OK, UPDATE
I still have the mother, and 2 babies.
It has been over three months, and the babies are still pretty tiny. They have grown some, but I expected them to be way bigger by now. Is this normal?

Thanks!

10/30/07  02:26pm

LedZeppelinfan101
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 1495784

Feeding s値ings question

What species are they? They all grow at different rates.

Also, in reference to your post farther up, a lot of "communal" species can live that way as sub-adults and adults, but as babies can be cannibalistic. Eating each other after molts is especially common as their new exoskeleton hasn稚 firmed up yet and they are totally vulnerable.

11/03/07  03:25am

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: LedZeppelinfan101   In reference to Message Id: 1499392

Feeding s値ings question

Ok, thanks.

One of the posts above says it somewhere, they are striped bark scorpions.

I am a big Zeppelin fan too I think my favorite song from them has to either be Ramble On, or Thank You.

11/05/07  03:34pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area