Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Sonorone   Dmetz   Sonorone   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Sonorone
View Profile

Some concerns

ok I have some concerns about my african flatrock scorpion. I noticed some very stange behaviors this week. now normally I see it late at night maybe once every few days. most of the time quick little walk around the cage not for vaery long. also when I do cage maintence like getting out any waste or changing water it is a little skittish. other than that hides under rocks. I was told a happy flatrockwould hardly be seen which seemed to be the case. now I havenít seen it for a week straight and got onerned. now when i got up the rock I was really calm and relaxed, way too relaxed. it moved really realxed andcalm completely flatened out. however I noticed the abdomen was somewhat thicker than usual. not to much but noticible still. could my flatrock be gravid? I have had her a few months. how long does it take for them to develop babies. also it has never molted since I had it. could it be molting. any help would be greatly appreciated.

05/08/07  12:40pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Sonorone   In reference to Message Id: 1274354

Some concerns

Well, depending on how long you have had it, this behavior might be perfectly normal. When I got mine, it was pretty nervous and skittish as well until it settled in and got comfortable with *my* routine of maintence and whatnot.
The widening of the abdomen could very well just be it entering premolt and thus, itís feeling a bit more sluggish and not so willing to be a spaz.
Generally gravid (pregnant) females donít get calmer, they get testier....just like any female.
What you might want to do is make sure the enviroment isnít too humid. Flat rocks are a desert species so they like sand for substrate and very little water. I donít keep water dishes in any of my desert scorpion containers. I only put a water dish in for one week, once every couple months then remove it.
Desert scorpions are a lot more prone to mycrosis (basically a fungal disease that can kill them and for which there is no cure as of yet) and thus, their habitats should be kept dry to help avoid contact of their skin with moist substrate.

05/08/07  02:03pm

Sonorone
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1274419

Some concerns

oh ok dmetz and again thanks for yoor input. yeah I know it is not the humidity. I donít know if you remember but when I first got him but I had it all wrong on the temps and humidity but you got me straight then. I actually keep it in the same room as my rosy to keep the humidity down. I do keep a water dish but very seldom fill it ostly it helps support the rocks for hides but at least once a month i have been filling it a little bit with water then let it disapate. normally takes about 2-3 days. seems to work out ok. like you said before I hardly see it come out except occassionally at night. it eats well every week. most of the maintance is cleaning up the waste which again isnít that big of deal. it is cool to hear he night be getting use to me or at least the routine.

05/08/07  04:09pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Sonorone   In reference to Message Id: 1274560

Some concerns

Ahh yes, I remember now.
Yeah, itís probably just getting use to life in your house...and you. Mine have done the same thing. Theyíre ornrey for a while, then after a while they seem to take the attitude of "oh, thereís the cleaning lady/waitress again....good, this place needs a bit of tiding up and a snack sounds tempting")
Heck, I even have some hots who use to just freak out every time Iíd so much as give them a sideways glance, now when I open their lids, they come sauntering up and just sit there, waiting for me to drop something tasty down.

05/08/07  05:15pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area