Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BirthofHawk   Faery   BirthofHawk   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

BirthofHawk
View Profile

Is fighting sometimes fatal?

I have recently purchased two Emperors that have always shared the same 15 gallon tank but it never was warm enough until I bought the additional "night glow" 50 W bulb today. I know that you guys say it dries out the environment to use lights but I was desperate and my local petshop operator has bred emperors sucessfuly and was using a combination of this light, a heat pad for night, and a fogger on a timer for humidity. Anyways. Once the temperatures finally raised to a safe level (82- 85) the smaller one came away from where they were huddled together at the heat pad on the side of the aquarium, to climb on top of one of their caves that is directly under the new light. Suddenly the larger of the two mounted an attack and they started using their claws and telsons in an all out battle. Even after the smaller one would back away and run, it would turn right back around and come back for more. I saw both of them sting each other right in the mouth areas once or twice and then it was over and they parted into different areas. Well, I was just wondering if this behavior could be lethal or is it all posturing to dominate the best territories in the new environment? Especially the stinging part. I have seen them shaking ther claws at each other and jerking movements before but not all out stinging. Right after, I fed the larger one two crickets at once double fisitng them. The other one who was now trying to climb up a corner of the aquarium, refused food and infact has never eaten since I got them over a week ago. I am getting worried that he is too stressed out by the environmental temperatures and the territorial intimidation to have an appetite. What do you all think? They are both over 3 inches long and the larger one is around 4 or five. They have four or five inches of substrate and the humidity is in the high 80s to 90s.....
Thanks......

04/26/07  12:53am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: BirthofHawk   In reference to Message Id: 1260110

I am in NO way an expert, but IMO, You need to seperate them soon. The smaller one will be killed or die of stress & starvation. Rayna

04/26/07  07:59am

BirthofHawk
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1260231

The Small one Is eating right NOW!!!!! Hurray!!!! I have been trying slik worms and crickets, using tongs but the small one always seemed afraid of the insect. TODAY!!! I tried a small pinky. I guess it all that squirming around and being so soft and unco-ordinated seemed just right! You know, I was worried last neight because both of them were trying to climb the glass walls like something was seriously wrong inside the cage that they needed to get away from but this morning all seems great!
Thanks for the advice. I will continue to monitor them.

04/28/07  04:23pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BirthofHawk   In reference to Message Id: 1262660

Generally, if the size of the scorpions are too different, one will play bully. Now that the temps are higher, as they should be, both scorpions will have more energy and thus, the "games" although they arenít playing with each other, will begin...not necessarily a good thing.
You can either seperate them or, make sure you have at least two hides for each scorpion, spaced around the container and *plenty* of food for both. If they continue to fight, do seperate them.

About the foggers, donít follow the "breederís" example. There is more than one way to skin a cat, or in this case, to keep humidity up in an impís container and foggers are not a very good, nor safe idea.

05/01/07  04:16pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area