Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Wingsfan977   Dmetz   Wingsfan977   Wingsfan977   Dmetz   Wingsfan977  
 Member  Message

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Fighting or mating?

I just bought a new emperor today to replace the one that died. However, when I put the new one in the tank, they started going after each other after a few minutes. I found this really weird because we never had a problem with the two being togther before the one died. I wasnít sure if they were fighting or trying to mate, so I put the new one in our old tarrantula cage for the time being.
Also, I noticed that whenever they got too close to each other, they would start shaking rapidly, almost like they were vibrating. Is this some kind of territorial act?

As you may have noticed, I am new to owning scorpions. I thought I did a lot of research before I bought them, but Iím finding myself having questions that I wasnít expecting.

04/25/07  01:57am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Wingsfan977   In reference to Message Id: 1258789

Fighting or mating?

That was fighting.

04/25/07  08:58pm

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1259776

Fighting or mating?

Thank you. I was worried, thatís why I seperated them. Do you think that if I put them in a larger tank, like a 10 gallon, that they would be okay, or should I just leave them apart.

04/25/07  09:49pm

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Message To: Wingsfan977   In reference to Message Id: 1259868

Fighting or mating?

By the way, I realized that I havenít mentioned my scorpions names yet. So, for anybody who was wondering, Phoenix is the larger one (I hope to be getting some pics soon). I havenít figured out what sex each of them is yet. However, Phoenix is somewhere between five and six inches. Raze, the smaller one is probably just slightly over half of Phoenixís size. Raze is the new one that I just got yesterday.

04/25/07  10:26pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Wingsfan977   In reference to Message Id: 1259936

Fighting or mating?

How large are the two, from claw to tail?
If the size is too different, the larger one will generally play bully with the smaller one. For adult imps (which would be about 4 inches or larger) you donít want them in anything *smaller* than a 10 gallon or itís equivelant.
One imp will be happy in a 5 gallon with one or two hides, but when keeping them commuinally, you want to have at least two hides per scorpion, and that would require a minimum of a 10 gallon for two imps so there is enough room for them. 3 would require a 15 gallon and so on.
Oh, thatís container size for adults, by the way.

05/01/07  04:21pm

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1266023

Fighting or mating?

How do I measure the length? Do I measure from the claws to the tip of the tail, or just the body?

05/06/07  12:52am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area