Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

FLherps   FLherps   Dmetz   FLherps   Dmetz   FLherps   Dmetz   FLherps   FLherps   FLherps   MEEE.   Dmetz   FLherps   FLherps   Dmetz   Dmetz   Dmetz   FLherps  
 Member  Message

FLherps
View Profile

Pad

Hey, What type of heating pad can I use for my emperor scorpions? I have a male and female adult scorpions in a 10gal tank with repti bark that when heated creates humidity. They have a decoration for them to hide in and will be putting another in. I looked at heat pads and i saw one that was a good size one that said for dry heat and desertlike setups and another one said heats at a constant 100F. Are there any that you recommend? Thanks. Craig.

04/24/07  03:33am

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1257679

Pad

any suggestions? should I have a light on there?

04/24/07  03:13pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1258064

Pad

As far as UTH go, all you need is a standard aquarium heater for a 10 gallon...no larger. You donít need anything fancy or expensive. All it has to do is be able to heat one side of the tank to 90+ degrees F. Youíll want to put it on the side of the tank, not underneath. Have a couple hides on each side of the tank, warm side and cool side, for the scorpions to choose from and make sure you have at least 6 inch of substrate in there for them to burrow in. As far as lights go, no, donít bother. Scorpions are nocturnal so lights would just give them reason to stay hidden all the time and heat lamps, while being good sources of heat, will dry out the tank enviroment very quickly, thus the need for more frequent misting and water dish filling.

04/24/07  06:29pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1258270

Pad

Thanks for the response. I didnít know they had a 10gal tank standard size. WHat size would it be out of these? http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=30_72

04/24/07  09:34pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1258512

Pad

For a P. imperator set up, this one will do nicely:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=993
Generally I wouldnít use anything larger than a 3"X3" UTH for a 10 gallon tank but, since imps like it hot and humid, the 4"X5" will work.
Just remember to put it on one end of the tank and not on the bottom. Oh, and have a large, shallow water dish on the warm end also. That will help increase humidity with the water dish near the heater.

04/25/07  08:45pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1259757

Pad

thanks for the reply. I recently moved them in a 29 gallon and have a bigger heat pad that was connected to that and it seems to be doing fine. I will keep that in mind if I decide to move them back to the 10gal. Craig.

04/26/07  03:26am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1260159

Pad

A 29 is a bit much for two imps but, as long as you have at least two water dishes at oppisite ends of the tank and the scorpions are able to find their food, they should be fine.

Since you have such a large tank for them, deck that bad boy out in fine style and give them a good oleí fashioned rain forest paradise!

05/01/07  04:24pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1266026

Pad

I have 5 scorps in the tank now and have a 10"x12" heat pad on the side of the tank. It keeps that wall warm but thats it. There is a log by the wall and all 5 pile up ontop each other because the heat there. The ambient is 75F I want these to breed and what else can I do for heat? I heard it is supposed to be in the 80ísF Thanks. Craig.

05/01/07  11:31pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1266026

Pad

Hey everyone. Well as you know I have them in a 29 gallon tank i also added 3 more adult scorps so now I have 5 of them in there. Well I never had a thermometer in there until last night and today. I have a heat pad at the end of the tank on the wall and I have aheat mat there. It is a zoo med and it measures about 10"X12" and keep that wall warm but thats it. All the scorpspile on top of each other under the log. The thermometer is in the middle of the tank and the temp measured 75.1F. I heard they need the temps in the 80ísF and I wanít to breed these. I want to add foliage to the tank but I need other crawl spaces for them too. What can I do for heat? Thanks. Here is a couple pics of the setup.

05/01/07  11:35pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1266669

Pad

donít mind the first post, couldnít delete it.

05/01/07  11:43pm

MEEE.
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1266682

Pad

5 is a bit much. you should have listend to her. add about 4 inches of substrate, and please, get another tank so you can reduce th number of animals in one tank or get a large enough one for the 5.

could i please ask why you got an additional 3? the monitors alone are going to burn holes in your wallet.

05/02/07  02:54am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: MEEE.   In reference to Message Id: 1266882

Pad

Actually, a 29 is fine for 5 of them. However, if the pix are of the 29, you *do* have some adjustments to make. First of all, you need *a lot* more substrate in there. You should have a minimum of 6 inches in there, 2 water dishes, both the size of the one you already have in there and that hide needs to go. It is, or at least looks, like it is very large and takes up a lot of room in that tank. You want each scorpion to have at the very least, one hide each, although 2 each would be much better, so, you need at least 5 to 10 hides in there.
You want that water dish in front of that heat mat, which, you might consider moving to the center of the tank. What kind of thermastat are you using? If that UTH is designed for a 29 gallon tank, it should work just fine at keeping the temps in the 80s.
Bear in mind, glass does not hold heat for squat, so, youíll probably want to cover 3/4 of the lid, if youíre using a screen top, with plastic wrap, that will help hold in some heat.
Also, if you want them to breed, you better sink a smooth piece of bark or rock into the substrate somewhere so it is level with the substrate so the male(s) can deposit a spermatphore and pull the female across it.

05/02/07  05:21am

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1266932

Pad

Great, thanks for the info Dmetz. Iam glad the tank is good size for 5. Also, they never seem to go in the water dish but I will add another. I will also pull the rock hide place as it is very large. I have a digital thermometer. Okay so on my setup I should move the heat pad in the center wall and then put 2 water dishes by that. I can keep that log in there at that wall? I will also add 6" of that bed a beast stuff in there. How many more blocks of it do you think I need? I have huge block of styrafoam and I can make some hides out of that. What else? Do you have a pic of an ideal setup for a 29 gallon? Thanks again. Craig.

05/02/07  02:21pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: MEEE.   In reference to Message Id: 1266882

Pad

Quote:

could i please ask why you got an additional 3? the monitors alone are going to burn holes in your wallet.

Ha. I know what was I thinking. I have 2 veiled chameleons, 2 jacksons chameleons, 2 savannah monitors, 2 pacman frogs, 1 surnam horned frog, 2 turtles and 5 emperor scorpions. Its an addiction. Oh, here is a pic of them.

05/02/07  02:29pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1267259

Pad

I have no idea how much of the Bed a Beast youíd need as I never use the stuff. The scorpions may or may not actually get into the water dish, some will, some donít. The primary purpose for them is to help keep humidity up, as humidity should be in the 90s or even as high as 100%...but try getting that much humidity into a glass tank. Yes, you can keep the log against the end wall, they might actually use that as a hide and/or burrow under it. I woulnít use styrafoam for hides. If you live in an area that has alder or aspen tress, pull some bark off the trees, scrub it well in hot water to remove any dirt or critters then put it in a 250 degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, let it cool and stick that in there. Or, you can use cork bark, old flower pots (plastic or unglazed) or pretty much any kind of plastic container. If you want more of a natural look (if using plastic pots or some other type of not so nice looking container) cover the container hides with substrate and pack it down on them real well. Iíll look around and see what I can find as far as imp. set up pix.

Oh, one more thing, before I forget, if you move the UTH, make sure itís not right next to the gauge. Another thing that occured to me.....since the UTH is currently on one end and I do believe you said the gauge is in the middle, the temperature at the end where the UTH is will be higher. Having a warm and cool end for imps. is fine (just like youíd do with snakes and other reptiles).
You can also re evaluate where your tank is. If it is near a window or any area where there might be a draft, that could be part of the problem with heat. As I said earlier, glass does not hold heat well and, the larger the tank, the harder it will be to keep it heated. If you want, you can get two small UTHs and use those (although if the average temps are 75 thatís not too bad).
You can put a piece of plexi glass over part of the tank lid or use plastic wrap. That will help hold in heat and humidity. Doneít use towels though as they tend to absorb heat and RH so would be defeating the purpose.

Ok, Iím rambling....again.

05/02/07  03:19pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: FLherps   In reference to Message Id: 1267259

Pad

I have no idea how much of the Bed a Beast youíd need as I never use the stuff. The scorpions may or may not actually get into the water dish, some will, some donít. The primary purpose for them is to help keep humidity up, as humidity should be in the 90s or even as high as 100%...but try getting that much humidity into a glass tank. Yes, you can keep the log against the end wall, they might actually use that as a hide and/or burrow under it. I woulnít use styrafoam for hides. If you live in an area that has alder or aspen tress, pull some bark off the trees, scrub it well in hot water to remove any dirt or critters then put it in a 250 degree F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes, let it cool and stick that in there. Or, you can use cork bark, old flower pots (plastic or unglazed) or pretty much any kind of plastic container. If you want more of a natural look (if using plastic pots or some other type of not so nice looking container) cover the container hides with substrate and pack it down on them real well. Iíll look around and see what I can find as far as imp. set up pix.

Oh, one more thing, before I forget, if you move the UTH, make sure itís not right next to the gauge. Another thing that occured to me.....since the UTH is currently on one end and I do believe you said the gauge is in the middle, the temperature at the end where the UTH is will be higher. Having a warm and cool end for imps. is fine (just like youíd do with snakes and other reptiles).
You can also re evaluate where your tank is. If it is near a window or any area where there might be a draft, that could be part of the problem with heat. As I said earlier, glass does not hold heat well and, the larger the tank, the harder it will be to keep it heated. If you want, you can get two small UTHs and use those (although if the average temps are 75 thatís not too bad).
You can put a piece of plexi glass over part of the tank lid or use plastic wrap. That will help hold in heat and humidity. Doneít use towels though as they tend to absorb heat and RH so would be defeating the purpose.

Ok, Iím rambling....again.

05/02/07  03:20pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1267320

Pad

Darn double posts.
OK, anyway, hereís a thread all on scorpion enclosures. Bear in mind that this thread shows the set ups of many different species of scorpions, not just P. imperator.
Just FYI, some of these set ups show sand (of various colors) as the primary substrate, you do NOT want to use sand for imps. or any rain forest scorpion, sand is *only* used for desert scorpions.
This is a pretty big thread so, just browse through it. It should give you lots of ideas on the numerous ways you can decorate your imps. tank.

Also bear in mind, the plants and such in the containers are artificial, those are not real cactus in the tanks.
Scorpion Enclosures

05/02/07  03:49pm

FLherps
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1267360

Pad

Wow, thanks for the info. Yeah, I deffinately want more hide spaces for them. I Have alluminum foil on the tank cover and it hasnít increased temps. Those tanks setups look neat too but donít know if sand will hold humidity. Since they never go in the water dish do you think it will be ok just having one? Thanks again. Craig.

05/03/07  12:25am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area