Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Wingsfan977   Dmetz   Wingsfan977   Dmetz   Wingsfan977  
 Member  Message

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Canít keep tank warm

Iím having trouble keeping the tank as warm as recomended. I have a heat mat under one end of the tank, and a lamp at the same end. However, the temp. in the tank still only reads about 75 normally with the lamp on, it has gotten up to 80 a couple of times. One of my scorpions died today and iím worried that it might have something to do with the temp. Please help!

04/24/07  01:55am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Wingsfan977   In reference to Message Id: 1257625

Canít keep tank warm

Two questions.
What species of scorpion?
What kind of gauges are you using to measure heat levels?

Ok, first, you want your UTH to be on the *side* of the tank, not on the bottom. If you are using a 10 gallon tank and have a UTH that is for 10 gallon tanks your heat should be fine without the heat lamp. My guess is that your gauage is not working properly. If you are using those stick on gauges that might be your problem because they donít work.

Give us some more detail about your scorpionís set up like container size and type, lid type, type of substrate, how much, decoration, water dish, hides, etc. and we can go from there.

04/24/07  06:34pm

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1258280

Canít keep tank warm

I have an emperor scorpion.
I do have the stick-on, dial type gauges. What do you reccomend instead?
I have been planning to move the heat mat onto the side to see if that works better.
Currently, I have a 5 gallon tank, but I bought a 10 gallon tank today to put it in because I bought another scorpion and wanted to give them more room. However, I have them in seperate tanks for the moment until I can get the new one set up. As for substrate, Iím using one of those bricks that breaks down and spreads out when you put it in water. The lid I have is just the screen type that goes on the top of the tank.

thanks for your help.

04/24/07  09:02pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Wingsfan977   In reference to Message Id: 1258459

Canít keep tank warm

Ok, if your UTH is a 4"X 5" and is heating properly, it should be sufficent for the necessary heat. What you might want to do is cover half or three quarters of the lid with plastic wrap. That will help hold in the heat as well as moisture. Make sure the tank is not near drafts and, as far as guages go, the analog gauges work better but the eletronic, digital gauges that you just stick in the tank for a minute, work the best, but are pricey and not really, IMO necessary for just imps.

If, when you put your hand or face near the top of the tank, if it smells and feels like a warm little rain forest, you know your temps and humidity are fine.

Think..."sauna" feeling, thatís what imps like.
Oh, also, you can be sure that, whatever the temperature in the room you are keeping the scorpion in is, that tank is going to be a couple degress warmer, IE, if your room is 72 degrees F. then the tank will average 74 degrees F.
Putting the UTH on the side *will* help increase the heat as well. Having it on the bottom, it has to heat up the substrate first before it can heat the air. Given that imps like it real humid, the UTH will have to dry the substrate (because of having to heat it up first) before being able to heat the surrounding air, thus, making the entire enviroment cooler over all and drier. So yeah, put the UTH on the side of the tank, preferablly on one end.

04/25/07  08:54pm

Wingsfan977
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1259772

Canít keep tank warm

Iíll do that then. Thanks again, Iím sure that Iíll have more questions later.

04/25/07  09:55pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area