Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Glider   ImTheDaddy   Glider   Charmont   Glider   Dracolvr   Glider   Dracolvr   Faery   Scorpion_keeper   BirthofHawk   Beetleboy247   THEANIMAL250   Marko   THEANIMAL250   FattyUro  
 Member  Message

Glider
View Profile

My First Scorpion!!! :)

Yesterday I bought a gravid Emperor Scorpion at a reptile show and she is AWESOME! I have been wanting one for a long time, and finally got her (I paid $10 for her, is that a decent price since she is pregnant?). She is in a 10 gallon aquarium with whole block of bed-a-beast, a coconut hide, live moss covering about 1/4 of the tank, and a good sized log covered in live moss. For heat, I am using a reptile black heat light. Its so neat watching her just walk around, climbing over things, going into her hide, basking under her heat light, and just chillin...lol (I love how they glow!).
I am really excited about her, and canít wait to see her eat. I am also really excited about the pregnant factor :)
I know they eat crickets and I have a lot of them (always have them for my leopard geckoís, tarantula, and snacks for my rats), but can I feed her pinkies? How often?

Any questions,concerns, comments, or ideas?

Thanx!
-shane

04/15/07  11:09pm

ImTheDaddy
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1248144

Quote:

I am using a reptile black heat light.

Just one comment i would stop using the black heat light these are no good for scorpions and stress them out if left on for long periods of time. You can use it to look at the scorp but not as a heat source.

ITD

04/16/07  01:03pm

Glider
View Profile

Message To: ImTheDaddy   In reference to Message Id: 1248767

How does it stress them out? She is under the light most of her time, if it stressed her out wouldnít she try to stay away from it?

04/16/07  04:12pm

Charmont
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1248994

Black lights can kill scorpions after extended use. You can feed her pinkies every month maybe 2 a month

04/16/07  05:28pm

Glider
View Profile

Message To: Charmont   In reference to Message Id: 1249115

Okay, Iíll stop using the black light, can I use it for one of my leoís?
I figured it was safe since it is a reptile heat bulb, manufactured by a reptile company.

04/16/07  11:27pm

Dracolvr
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1249589

No, please do not use it for one of your leos. Black lights arenít good for that many reptiles. Just get a new bulb.

Megan

04/17/07  02:31pm

Glider
View Profile

Message To: Dracolvr   In reference to Message Id: 1250067

Okay :) Iíll just buy a new bulb.
If there are any, what kind of reptiles could use a reptile black heat light?

I believe you guys, but does anyone know why the black light is not good for them/how it stresses them out?

thanx :)
-shane

04/17/07  03:33pm

Dracolvr
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1250140

Hey,

Iím not sure of exactly why (lol I forget...). You should maybe ask the lizard general forum or the leopard gecko forum.

Megan

04/18/07  12:55am

Faery
View Profile

Message To: Dracolvr   In reference to Message Id: 1250924

Just turn one on and look at it for a while...You`ll know why it stresses them out...LOL. The black lights give me a headache. Rayna :-)

04/18/07  08:34am

Scorpion_keeper
View Profile

Message To: Faery   In reference to Message Id: 1251084

Well.... if it is a black light( ive never heard of a black heat) as you said they glow nice(i love this) than it is a UV light. Which is what the sun puts off...so why would you want the sun on at nite??? I dont.
I KNOW that these lights are stressfull because I kept FL bark corpions awhile ago and if I turned mine on they would actually run away. I dont know if each species are diff. in the way they react but it is not good to keep em on alot :)

04/21/07  02:21am

BirthofHawk
View Profile

Message To: Scorpion_keeper   In reference to Message Id: 1254125

Black light...

UV Lights have been linked to cataracts in humans.... I am sure all animals with corneas would be the same unless they are particularly special. Scorpions? I am not sure why it would kill them... If you hold the UV light up to your face in the mirror, you can see every freckle and blemish. Itís actually quite unnerving. I have heard that UV lights can also cause cancer, so by deduction, I would imagine that the light creates many free radicals in the body of anything that it is exposed to. The smaller the creature, the more of a toxic, free radical load is put on them. Maybe they just die because they canít get rid of the toxins their bodies produce as a side effect to UV light exposure, not to mention the cellular denaturing that causes cancer.

04/21/07  06:55pm

Beetleboy247
View Profile

Message To: BirthofHawk   In reference to Message Id: 1254724

DUDE!!

You got a gravid emp for $10?! You are SO LUCKY!!!

06/23/07  12:29pm

THEANIMAL250
View Profile

Message To: Beetleboy247   In reference to Message Id: 1330636

DUDE!!

I got my scorpions three weeks ago but im not sure if its pregnant or fat. u should post a picture of her

06/25/07  09:22pm

Marko
View Profile

Message To: Charmont   In reference to Message Id: 1249115

now im not an expert on scorpions or anything (i actualy dont even have one yet) but black lights are just bulbs emmitting ultraviolet light. the same kind that causes sunburn, eye damage, and cancer in humans can cause problems in scorps too

06/28/07  02:19pm

THEANIMAL250
View Profile

Message To: Marko   In reference to Message Id: 1337671

Ur right, the place i got mine from said if u look at them with a blacklight or heatlamp, DO NOT KEEP THE LIGHTS ON FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME! He said basically the heat lamp will stress them out and eventually lead to death and if u leave the black light on they will lose there green glow after a while.

06/28/07  03:54pm

FattyUro
View Profile

Message To: THEANIMAL250   In reference to Message Id: 1337803

what kind of light can you use to keep them warm. I have mine under a black light bulb that is for nocturnals but it makes them glow a little bit so Iím sure its not much different than a regular black light. but I have them in a 20 high with about 7 inches of peatmoss/potting soil. I have 3 uthís on the side. two on the end and one just around the corner. but I canít get the temps above 80 without that light. is there another type of light I can use that will only provide heat.

06/28/07  04:25pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area