Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Argblat   Charmont   Argblat   Charmont   BirthofHawk   Yoi  
 Member  Message

Argblat
View Profile

First Post ... Cricket Zen

Hi all,

Iíve had my male emperor scorpion Baxter for 10 months and things have gone very well so far. Iíve always meant to find and participate in a message board about these creatures, so here I am taking a crack at it.

Something that has driven me crazy since I got him is the crickets chirping ... I keep my pet in my bedroom and once the crickets molt and learn how to ítalkí I loose sleep until I either 1. Kill the culprit(s) or 2. Catch and clip their wings ... either way its a huge pain in the butt and basically a loose loose situation.

That being said, I would like to share with you all a solution I have put together that has saved my sanity and beauty sleep. As Iím sure some of you are already aware, only Male crickets chirp although both genders have wings ... My solution is to buy slightly more crickets than I need, and send the males packing (free them outside) ...

Itís 100x easier to sex a large cricket than it is to sex your scorpion... the females have three large (for lack of a better term) antennae sticking out of their rear end ... open your hand in front of your face and put down your pointer and ring fingers ... thats what it looks like ..

Males on the other hand have only 2 things poking out the back ... nothing in the middle ... stick out your hand and put down your pointer, middle, and ring finger ... thats what a male back end looks like ... you can also now rock out to your favorite metal band Link

Anyway, the extra .50 cents that I end up spending a week is totally worth it, and Iím a much happier pet owner for having figure this out.

I hope this information is helpful to (at least) somebody ... I look forward to participating more in the message board ... Look forward to hearing from you

-mike

04/09/07  10:44am

Charmont
View Profile

Message To: Argblat   In reference to Message Id: 1239345

Just feed them something beside crickets

04/09/07  05:44pm

Argblat
View Profile

Message To: Charmont   In reference to Message Id: 1239776

What else do you feed them? Aside from pinkies which I donít think my guy is big enough to tackle yet ... I donít think the pet store I go to carries an alternative ... although i would be interested to know what else you feed your emperorís

04/09/07  07:39pm

Charmont
View Profile

Message To: Argblat   In reference to Message Id: 1239951

Roachs,beatles and mealworms and some more that i cant think of right now

04/10/07  09:19pm

BirthofHawk
View Profile

Message To: Charmont   In reference to Message Id: 1241263

What to feed..

My store sells silk worms, butter worms, meal worms, crickets or pinkies. These are all o.k. right?

04/21/07  11:57pm

Yoi
View Profile

Message To: BirthofHawk   In reference to Message Id: 1255035

What to feed..

yes

05/26/07  07:13pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area