Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Ditzzy   MEEE.   Ditzzy   N2t   Esio_Cahamee  
 Member  Message

Ditzzy
View Profile

Extreme Newbie Crying Out For Help!!! Ill be extremely grateful For it!!!

Hi. I・m planning on getting an Emperor Scorpion (pandinus imperator)(I think the scientific name is...I don・t know.) Anywayz... Lighting. What kind of light should I use? I・ve always heard that if you want to use a heating light, to use a red 50 or 60 watt bulb.I heard to keep the tank: 75-80F. Is a heating light the best choice? An under tank heating pad doesn・t make sense, since they burrow to cool down. Also I・m not home ten hours of the day how do I keep the humidity stable: 75-80% humid. And do I keep a light on all day? Because I heard they hate light. Does a black light hurt them? if not then: How often can I use a black light (if I use it ONLY at night.)?
I would be extremely grateful if you guys can help me get these things cleared up. In case you haven・t noticed... I・m an extreme newbie!

03/20/07  05:50pm

MEEE.
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1215886

light=no.

for humidity, cover about 1/2 the top of the cage with saran wrap and mist liberally before you leave. for heating, place a uth on the side with the shallow water dish.

fyi, for substrate, use peat moss. get it damp but not wet, for when it is dry it is dust and if it gets wet is is a swap. i would generally be a bit more in depth, but i am horribly busy atm.

03/22/07  09:14pm

Ditzzy
View Profile

Message To: MEEE.   In reference to Message Id: 1218487

Thank you so much!!! This・ll help me a ton!

03/24/07  04:51pm

N2t
View Profile

Message To: Ditzzy   In reference to Message Id: 1220582

emps like a decent amount of humidity, lights make keeping propper humidity very difficult so imho no light is best. I use and under tank heater, I find the scorp burrows into the peat moss where its comfortable so its not an issue. I dont like black lights I know they grow under it but I dont think its particularly healthy for them jmho. Keep the peat/sphagnum moss damp not drenched not dusty, use about 3-4" and also add some types of hides I use coconut shells and a cave and a large flat watter bowl. I find that my scorp likes to burrow under the hide.

03/24/07  08:41pm

Esio_Cahamee
View Profile

Message To: N2t   In reference to Message Id: 1220827

you should study
before buying a scorp or any other creature

03/25/07  08:25pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area