Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

RKO   BallPython2   Vance  
 Member  Message

RKO
View Profile

Few questions regarding emperors

So I was planning on purchasing an/some emperor scorpion(s). Just have a few questions:
1.) Do they need any special lighting? I know if you put a black heat bulb over them they will iluminate, but do they need it?

2.) How many can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium?

3.) How often should they be fed? And how much?

4.) How are they sexed? I just make a hobby of breeding animals, pretty much has become a huge part of my life (mainly snakes).

5.) If/when I get stung, what procedures sould I take? I know they arenít very poisonous, but do I need to apply anything to the sting mark?

Thank you!

03/12/07  02:33am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: RKO   In reference to Message Id: 1206215

Since scorpions burrow anyway you donít need any lighting at all.

Quote:

1.) Do they need any special lighting? I know if you put a black heat bulb over them they will iluminate, but do they need it?

In my opinion Iíd only keep one in a 10 gallon because the amount of room is restriced, I have two emperors and I keep them in a 20 gallon.

Quote:

2.) How many can be kept in a 10 gallon aquarium?

Emperors have a slow metabolism so if you have one you can put like 2 -3 crickets in the tanks then by the same time tomorrow whatever crickets are still left take those out and try again in a week. if you have two scorpions incrase the # of crickets to about five. Never leave crickets in the tank all the time because they stress out the scorpions.

So in summary one scorpion should have at least 2 crickets a week if not three available during meal time. and they should be fed once a week.

Quote:

3.) How often should they be fed? And how much?

They are sexed by the pertines on the bottom of them. males have bigger and spaced out "comb" like pertines on the bottom and females have much smaller ones

Quote:

4.) How are they sexed?

Well actually this could be worse than you think. If you are allergic to bees you may need more medical care if you got stung than a person who isnít. do you have allergies? If you donít have allergies I would just say put some rubbing alcohol on it and a band - aid and your fine.

Quote:

5.) If/when I get stung, what procedures sould I take?

03/13/07  08:14am

Vance
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1207526

Nice answer.

He is right. I have 2 emperors so far. (I keep them in a 40 gallon tank). They basically eat crickets, but you can spice it up with other bugs, sometimes a worm, and even a mouse or two, if they are big.

I have a male and a female, and the female makes the male look puny. Just to let you know, they are cheap, I got mine for $20 each, but the tank and other things to make the home look cool can range up to $100 if you want to make it look really neat.

03/17/07  02:29pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area