Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Joefin   BallPython2   Joefin   BallPython2   Joefin   Tattooedpeter   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Joefin
View Profile

PREGNANCY

i was wanting to know if n e one knows the easiest way to figure out if my emp would be pregnant cuz im pretty sure she not over fed and she has a lil bit more chub then usual

01/31/07  01:59am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Joefin   In reference to Message Id: 1154559

PREGNANCY

you can take it to a vet and have them sexed and if you have two and one is a male and the one you think is pregnant is a female then your all set..or if you know someone who can sex scorpions like a breeder or someone take it to them..also if you have a reptile show coming up in your area it to the show and have some one sex it there. if you think she maybe pregnant but not sure make sure she has enough good inside here and she isnt underfed.

02/02/07  02:29pm

Joefin
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1157547

PREGNANCY

well i know for afact she is a female and he a male but we dont et that sorta stuff here i guess i will jst have to wait and see haha

02/02/07  05:55pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Joefin   In reference to Message Id: 1157880

PREGNANCY

well, if you seen them do a pre mating dance type thing (where they lock together and it looks like they are kissing) then she may be pregnant...as i said before keep her well fed and just wait and see.

02/02/07  06:54pm

Joefin
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1157970

PREGNANCY

yee yee for sure man and i dont think they have unless i was sleepin theyve been in a few fights tho little ones

02/03/07  10:34pm

Tattooedpeter
View Profile

Message To: Joefin   In reference to Message Id: 1157880

PREGNANCY

on the bottom of scorpion just behind its legs is like 2 wings there called pectinal teeth, if ur scorpion is like mine it kinda gets against the glass sides of tank n tries to climb, you can see them good then, males have bigger ones, females are kinda small, by the way mine just gave birth, the little ones r riding on her back

02/04/07  11:31am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Tattooedpeter   In reference to Message Id: 1160294

PREGNANCY

As soon as I hear of a vet who can actually sex AND do a pregnancy test on a scorpion.....that vet is going to become very famous, very quickly by the invert keeping world.
If you acquired your scorpions from a pet store, anything is possible. If they have only been together for a few days and you think one might be gravid (pregnant) in that length of time....itís way too soon to tell. Chances are, if they are pet store acquisitions, *if* one is gravid, it was gravid before you got them. Youíll know if it is gravid when you wake up one morning and find a bunch of little white scorplings on its back. However, what you can do is shine a bright flashlight on its abdomen from various angles. If the scorpion is gravid and is far enough along, you *might* be able to see the outline of the scorplings inside its belly....but thatís a hit and miss kind of thing.
Oh, and the average gestation period for P. imperator is 6 to 18 months, depending on enviromental conditions.

As far as the breeding process goes, the word everyone is looking for is "spermatophore". That is what the male lays down and pulls the female across. However, in order for the male to feel comfortable enough to make one, a flat piece of slate, flat rock or flat bark should be placed in the container and made level with the substrate...hence the "flat surface".

02/05/07  06:45pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area