Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Addicted   Addicted   Addicted   Addicted   Murphyman   Addicted   Murphyman   Addicted   BallPython2   BallPython2   Dmetz   Tatsu86   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Addicted
View Profile

Egyptian death stalker

I was wondering if anyone here had one of these i might buy one and would like some input on safety and care.

01/30/07  10:15pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1154308

Egyptian death stalker

I forgot to mention i have been through the archives already,and also i do not want to get jumped on about no experience with scorpions.I simply want some input on these preferably from a keeper of one.

01/30/07  10:22pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1154321

Egyptian death stalker

Well Iím getting one.

01/31/07  05:44pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1155175

Egyptian death stalker

Thanks for the input it was really helpful.

01/31/07  10:26pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1155570

Egyptian death stalker

Ok, look. You are going to have to wait more than one day to get a response. The scorpion forum is definately not the most active, so you have to be patient.

Now, that being said, Yes I do own Lieurus quinquestriatus. Now what specifically would you like to know? You said "input on safety and care." So first, tell me what you already know. Then I will know what is left to tell.

Sound good?

-Zack

02/02/07  03:41pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 1157647

Egyptian death stalker

I quess i was a little impatient,sorry.I know to keep them dry and if i remember correctly at around 80 degrees.I was told to use long rubber tipped hemostats to move them around by their tail thing i forget the name of it.Any tips on keeping and safety would be a help.

02/02/07  04:58pm

Murphyman
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1157787

Egyptian death stalker

Ok, sounds like you know everything that is neccessary to keep the species.
I keep mine in rubbermaid containers with a sphagnum moss substrate. They each have a very simple rock formation to hide in/under. They also have their water bowls, very shallow and fairly small. For temperatures, I keep them in my herp room, and it stays in the high 70ís so not heat source is necessary (in my case.)

As for safety, handleing should not be very common with your new arach. The only time you should really have to move them would be for something like cage cleaning, in which case I simply scoop them into a deli cup until I have finished.

-Zack

02/03/07  03:09pm

Addicted
View Profile

Message To: Murphyman   In reference to Message Id: 1159135

Egyptian death stalker

Do you know anyone who has been tagged by these,If you do get tagged is there avything you are suposed to do to help prevent death.Should i just chop my finger off very quickly if i get tagged....LoL.I have a snake bite kit that tells you to cut the spot where the invenomation occured very deeply with the supplied razor blade and then try to bleed out the venom.Is there antivenom?

02/03/07  05:58pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Addicted   In reference to Message Id: 1159345

Egyptian death stalker

I forgot what it is but its a type of needle thing that you push into the area stung and it pulls as much of the venom out as it can before it starts to spread too much. I think this is for scorpions and not tarantulas but Iíll read my scorpian book and try to give you the exact answer you want.

02/03/07  06:58pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1159428

Egyptian death stalker

ok what you would use at home or if you scorpion hunting is something called epipen this is a small, personal, easy to use auto-injecting apparatus for administering 0.3 milli grams of epinephrine . this is a drug that induces the body to secrete adrenaline, this fights extreme allergic reactions.

its usually used for stings from scorpions, bees, wasp, and ants.

some other stuff that may work but is less effective that can be brought at stores are: benadryl, ephedrine, tagament, or zantac.

The thing that i was talking about in my previous post is called " the extractor" which is very helpful if used immediately after you get the sting. it can remove venom made by snakes, stinging insects, and arachnids.

When usin the extactor you dont have to cut the wound all you do is push in the plunger and it starts to draw.

Enjoy the information I gave you however the less time you spend bothering your scorpion (not counting cleaning out the tank and giving fresh water) the longer you and your scorpion will live. and there will be less of a chance of you needing any medical assistance at all.

- John

02/03/07  07:10pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1159449

Egyptian death stalker

There are a couple more things you need to know about L.Qs....if you are not 18 or older, you canít get one and...they are the single most lethal scorpion in the hobby...hence why they are not sold to minors.

Oh, and those epi-pens wonít do squat for an L.Q sting. Unless you happen to live in the area where the scorpion is native to, your local hospital wonít be able to do much for you either because anti venom is not readily available. Trying to suck the venom out is also not a good, or useful idea. If you get stung, put a tourniquet above the effected area to help restrict blood circulation and to try and slow the spread of the venom while you hightail it to the hospital. Oh, and make sure to tell the Dr. what you were stung by, what the scorpionís LD50 rating is, how large the scorpion is, how long the telson was in the skin and what time you were stung and if you were stung more than once. Above all, REMAIN CALM at ALL COSTS. Just like with snake venom, if you remain calm and donít get your adrealine going, your blood will pump more slowly, thus the venom will not reach your heart and vital organs as quickly. Try and take note of *every* simptom you feel, where it bagan, what itís pain level was and is, how long it took for the pain and symptoms to spread...and try to NOT be the only one home.
Also, the safest way to move one is *not* with tweezers and the tail....use a catch cup, however, disturbing the species should not be done except when needing to rehouse them.

They should be kept on pre soaked, dried sand....preferably black sand so you can find the scorpion more easily and...use a tall, smooth (glass works good) container for it and do NOT provide anything for it to climb on. Give it a hide and nothing else. They canít climb, BUT, they can extend themselves up on the tip of their tails and reach/hold on/pull themselves up with their palps, thus, tall containers that they wonít be able to reach the lid. They should be given a small, shallow water dish. Fill it roughly once every other month or so. If the scorpion knocks the dish over, do not refill it until the sand has completely dried. Desert scorpions are prone to microsis, which is a fungal disease caused by excess moisture that has no cure and can kill them. Do not ever mist the container, get yourself a black light so you can see the scorpion in the dark, in its hide, etc. and make sure you KNOW where the scorpion is before you open its lid or put the forceps or tweezers in to do any maintenance.

My L.Q is very skittish, hates the light and is more than happy to come charging whenever it is disturbed, be that by me shining the flashlight on it, opening its lid, tossing food in....or even looking at it cross eyed.
They are awesome scorpions, but NOT one to be taken lightly

02/05/07  06:26pm

Tatsu86
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1162105

Egyptian death stalker

iĀfd love to see the look on a doctorĀfs face when you tell them you were stung by an "egyptian death stalker"

02/05/07  11:47pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Tatsu86   In reference to Message Id: 1162712

Egyptian death stalker

LOL
Yeah, that would be a sight.

"You were stung by a what? Is that related to the Loc Ness Monster?"

02/05/07  11:56pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area