Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Naia   BallPython2   Naia   BallPython2   Naia   BallPython2   Dmetz   Naia   Rangus   Naia   Rangus   Naia   Rangus   Naia   Naia   Dmetz   Naia  
 Member  Message

Naia
View Profile

Tips?

Next week Iím planning to buy .75" Babycurus jacksoni and .5" Hottentotta trilineatus.
I really do not know much about them so any advice is welcomed. Thanks!

01/20/07  03:40pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1140697

Tips?

Ok first you need to do your own research on the Red Thick-tail (Babycurus jacksoni)
and the African Bark Scorpion (Hottentotta trilineatus). Both of these are medically dangerous and Botar wonít even sell them to kids.

Quote:

I really do not know much about them

What this quote tell me is that this is a medical emergency waiting to happen. Why are you interested in animals that are able to cause you a trip to hospital if not death? Both of these are for experienced hobbyist. You are better off starting from the beginner scorpions like the Emperor Scorpion (Pandinus imperator), Asian Forest Scorpion (Heterometrus spinifer), and the Olive-keeled Flatrock (Hadogenes paudensis). I do not know your exotic animal background but scopions with small claws and potent venom are very swift movers and before you know it, you be on the business end of a life threatening aculeus.

Do your research.

01/20/07  04:46pm

Naia
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1140785

Tips?

Donít take this wrong..."I got to tell you though - thanks for the good laugh! Today is so boring really needed it
ehm...Iím not a kid and yes botar will sell them to me. How did you know Iím getting them from him?

Anyways...before "Iíll die" Iíd like to enjoy my scorps for a while so if you have tips on keeping them Iíd love to read them.

I do know which species are good for beginners. However I like these two scorpions and I donít see why I should get something I donít want as oppose to the ones I really want to have.

As far as research...that is the reason I posted my question...I a m r e s e a r c h i n g...I like RZ and thatís why Iím asking here :D
Also I was kind of hoping Dmetz will have some useful advice for me as I can get much better info from her than some care-sheet on Internet that I donít even know if the person who wrote it ever seen a scorpion in real!
Keeping scorpions is not a rocket science but it helps if someone with experience gives you advice.

01/20/07  05:24pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1140830

Tips?

Regardless how i knew you were getting them from him coming here to do your research isnt really research.

Research is when you go to all the websites you can and read all the information you can. and once you got enough information you disect it all and keep in ya head what you already know and ask about stuff you dont know. having us do your research for you and tell you "everything you need to know" isnt really doing research on your part.

you said you dont know anything about them...why would you buy something you dont know anything about...would you buy an electric appliance / tool that you didnt know anything about just because you like how they look? of course you wouldnt you would go to the store first and see what you could find out about them. this website is really to ask specific questions not to do your research for you. and i am sure there are many post about both these species of scorpion. so again instead of waiting for us to tell you all the information you need to go through all these post and find the right posts for the species you want...thatís research.... How do you think she started out? she had to do research also before you first got her first scorpion or tarantula... no offense to dmetz but Iím going to quote something i read..."Experienced hobbyist dont have all the answers...they just have more questions"..Dmetz is a wonderful source for information but she shouldnt be your only source.

Quote:

Also I was kind of hoping Dmetz will have some useful advice for me as I can get much better info from her than some care-sheet on Internet that I donít even know if the person who wrote it ever seen a scorpion in real! Keeping scorpions is not a rocket science but it helps if someone with experience gives you advice.

IF you buy books or just go to the library its self and research scorpions as whole, when you read care sheets off the internet you can match your knowlegde with the many other caresheets on the internet that you have read. Once you have done this it will be much easier to weed out the correct and incorrect information you may think certain internet caresheets will give you. after you have done all this and you still arent sure this is when dmetz can verify or void any questions or comments you have.

01/20/07  07:19pm

Naia
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1140941

Tips?

I take it that you do not have any experience with these two scorpions otherwise instead of wasting so much of your time trying to define what research means you could have just told me some stuff about the scorpions
I donít expect you to do the research for me by no means - why should you be researching them if you donít keep them??? I was asking the people that actually have some experience with tiny scorpions.

Look hon, just because I didnít give you list of what I keep or what kind of experience I have it doesnít mean Iím a complete idiot. And I have already mentioned earlier Iím not a kid. I have never kept either of these species and I have never had lil ones either...so I would appreciate tips from people that *are willing to share the info*

PS: Actually yes I would buy an electric appliance in a store and read the manual when I would bring it home...however it has nothing in common with scorpions.

By the way if someone would ask me for a care-sheet about any of the animals I keep I would be more than happy to give it - it doesnít hurt to be nice

01/20/07  08:44pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1141037

Tips?

so basically youíre not going to do your own research? oh well.

01/21/07  05:01am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1141502

Tips?

First let me just say that "researching" scorpion care is not one of the easiest things to do and....not all of the information on the net is correct...and....books....yeah, right.

B. jacksoni.....They are an arboreal scorpion so you *must* provide them with a vertical climb. They molt vertically with their heads facing down and if they have to molt on the substrate, chances are, they will not be able to molt successfully and will die. Keep their substrate dry, only moisten one small corner of it every few weeks. Ther vertical climb is the most important though.

H. trilineatus is terrestrial. If given the oppertunity, sometimes they will buroow, other times they just prefer a hide. Keep their substrate about the same as jacksoni, just moisten one corner every other week or so.
Neither can climb smooth surfaces, however, watch that jacksoni when itís on its bark. Always know where your scorpions are *before* you open the containers and do not leave the lids sitting off the containers while you maintence them.

Both are pretty aggressive eaters but prey that is too large will tend to make them run away.
Hope that helps.

01/21/07  07:07am

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1141554

Tips?

Quote:

so basically youíre not going to do your own research? oh well.

Nah, I have too much fun reading your posts

Thanks Dmetz! Oh it did help, actually more than you think. I didnít know about jacksoni being arboreal so it probably wouldnít have survived the first molt here.

Also is there anything I need to know when it comes to keeping .5" baby? The scorpions I have were adults when I got them so I am little worried about getting babies.

You do not need to worry about me getting hurt :) I have not ever had a close call. I really do know what Iím doing. Thanks though.

01/21/07  09:55pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1142504

Tips?

Man, I thought I was good at screwing around unnecessarily on forums and wasting peoples time. My hat goes off to you Naia. I didnít know there was anyone else as bored and annoying as me here.

01/22/07  03:51am

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1142841

Tips?

Huh? I honestly needed tips on those two scorpions! I didnít need instructions how to do a research! I just never kept any of them two species and I needed help.
BallPython was wasting his time...and I told him so. I didnít have to reply to him but I am polite person so I figured he deserves an answer after trying to define a word research for half hour. I also told him not to take it bad way and thanked him for the good laugh right at the beginning...
Iím sure he is a nice kid and had the best intentions, I guess he overlooked the part where I told him that Iím not a kid and not a complete idiot...

But trust me I am not "screwing around unnecessarily" Read my original question. What Dmetz answered was pretty much all I wanted :)
I cannot help it if some people have the need to write.

01/22/07  11:36am

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1143031

Tips?

Sorry, I need to chill out and quit being a jerk. I lost a pet this morning and have been pretty angry. Lashing out randomly on these forums wasnít therapeutic and definitely unnecessary. My apologies.

01/22/07  01:26pm

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1143139

Tips?

:) apologies accepted. But I didnít think you are a jerk.
What pet did you loose? Iím sorry to hear that. I know how it feels Iíve been there before. I take it very hard when my animal dies. I get very attached to them. So I can imagine how you feel.

01/22/07  07:59pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1143792

Tips?

We just spent over a thousand dollars on emergency care for one of our two ferrets over the course of 4 days and he almost made it but relapsed at the last minute. Literally I was 5 minutes from walking out the door to pick him up and bring him home, and the vet called with the bad news. He went from stable to gone in less than fifteen minutes. I didnít even have time to get in the car before he was gone. Pretty traumatic. My emotions have been all over the map since. Its a pretty cruel twist of fate how quickly things turned on us. We lost our cat to a dog attack a little over six months ago so Iím a little bitter angry with our lack of good karma lately. Thanks for askiní, it helps a little to get all that off my chest even tho I donít really know you. Thanks.

01/23/07  02:19am

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1144326

Tips?

Iím so sorry to hear all this. Animals like ferrets are hard to get over. Iíve lost a puppy about six month ago, I cried for 3 days and to this day I miss him like crazy. I do feel for you.
Seems like you have some bad luck lately. It will get better with time though.
How is your other ferret doing? Isnít it lonely now? Maybe you should go and get a new ferret. It would make you feel a little better too.
Do you have any pictures of the ferret you still have? I love ferrets. They are pretty awesome. I cannot have one because I donít have any more room in my house. I have cages everywhere I look :)
I know this is a scorpion forum, but at least Iím not hijacking someones thread since I started it. So if you feel like posting some pictures Iíd love to see them.

01/23/07  05:07am

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1144375

Tips?

Oh never mind with the pictures...Iíve just seen them in the other thread ;)

01/23/07  05:10am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Naia   In reference to Message Id: 1144376

Tips?

Quote:

Also is there anything I need to know when it comes to keeping .5" baby? The scorpions I have were adults when I got them so I am little worried about getting babies.

Keep them warm but not hot or their containers will dry out too much. If you check out some of the links HERE especially Rearing Early Instar "Bark Scorpions", Method 2 for raising Bark Scorpions, and maybe this one, Caring for 1st Instar Scorpions by Telow, even though yours wonít be first instar.
These should give you some really good general and specfic info. especially the ones written by Brian because, as you may already know, being a member over there, he knows his scorpions inside and out.

01/23/07  01:32pm

Naia
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1144647

Tips?

Awesome! Great info! Thanks!!!!!!!

01/23/07  09:01pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area