Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

PythonMan   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

PythonMan
View Profile

Tank

this might sound kinda stupid but i was considering buying a flat rock scorpion, would it be ok if i put it in my extra 30 gallon tank 30*12*18 i know its big, but iíd like to put alot of rocks and decorationbs in there fer him to climb in and on. let me know what yall think.

01/20/07  02:54am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1140169

Tank

You can put it in there if you want but you may have problems keeping the heat and humidity where you need it to be also.

if you buy a baby / juvenile Hadogenes troglodytes and put it in that sizew tank it may not be able to find the food in such a big place. and the food may avoid walking in there area and just climb all over the decorations

01/20/07  07:49am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1140267

Tank

Quote:

You can put it in there if you want but you may have problems keeping the heat and humidity where you need it to be also.

H. troglydites are desert scorpions, they donít do the humidity thing.

A 30 would be a complete waste of space as would putting a bunch of rocks and deco in for it be a waste of time. They are called "flat rocks" because thatís where they live, in the cracks and crevices of....flat rocks.
What you want to do is, first, have a smaller container, a 5 gallon will work nicely for a juvi or sub adult, basically anything between 3 and 6 inches.
Get some smooth, flat rocks and stack them on each other. Do not stack them more than two rocks high or it will be too unstable and this species is not a very good climber. They wonít climb all over deco. they will squeeze themselves in between the rocks and youíll be lucky to ever see it again. If you use rocks from your yard, be sure you scrub them well under hot water then boil them for at least 20 minutes and let them cool and dry before putting them in the container. Make sure your rocks are large enough, you donít want any wimpy little pebbles, you want good, wide flat rocks that will be more stable and wonít shift.

01/21/07  07:30am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area