Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Glider   BallPython2   Dmetz   Rangus   Glider   Rangus   Glider   Rangus   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Glider
View Profile

Holding Emperors

I am interested in learning more about emperor scorpions and may decide to get one soon. I have read a lot about using peat moss for a substrate, could I use the bed-a-beast stuff that super expands?

How about holding them? Do any of you hold your scorpions? I know a lot of places say not to but they also say not to hold the type of tarantula I have which I still do, I am very careful and I allow the tarantula to do what it wants to do when I am holding it (he is a giant white knee tarantula).
I still have a lot of research left to do, I have just recently become interested in them.
Thanx!
-shane

01/19/07  03:43pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1139397

Holding Emperors

I think bed a beast might work as long as it holds in moisture. I use spaghum peat moss and Eco - earth mixed.

You can hold them but them they perferred not to be touched at all. if you have to pick them up do it gently using forceps of you can or tongs. Falls from high places can cause interal bleeding and death so becareful when holding them.

01/19/07  05:43pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1139542

Holding Emperors

You can use bed a beast but you’ll probably want to at least mix some peat in with it so it will hold moisture and burrows better. Bed a beast alone doesn’t tend to hold burrows very well (and is twice as costly as peat).

01/21/07  07:32am

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1139397

Holding Emperors

Emperors are easier to handle than spiders in my opinion. I use 2 bricks of eco-earth in a ten gallon tank. I know that sounds a little excessive, but they have about six inches of depth to burrow. They seem pretty content with it.

The biggest kid.

The bigger they get, the more difficult these group shots become.

01/21/07  11:26am

Glider
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1141720

Holding Emperors

Is this the eco-earth stuff:

eco-earth

01/21/07  04:25pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1142075

Holding Emperors

Yes sir it is. Pretty safe substrate, its made of coconut bark. I mix peat moss in with it to hold moisture better.

01/21/07  04:45pm

Glider
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1142098

Holding Emperors

Can you just buy the peat moss from ’Ace Hardware’ or a gardening store? or should you only buy a pet brand? Just check to make sure their are no chemicals or anything else in them? Thanx!

01/21/07  08:30pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Glider   In reference to Message Id: 1142362

Holding Emperors

Uh......you’re welcome? Not sure whats going on there. Definately buy pet-quality peat moss. I think you may have figured that out though.

01/22/07  03:46am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Rangus   In reference to Message Id: 1142838

Holding Emperors

Quote:

I use 2 bricks of eco-earth in a ten gallon tank. I know that sounds a little excessive, but they have about six inches of depth to burrow. They seem pretty content with it.

That’s not at all excessive, especially for obligate burrowers.

Quote:

Can you just buy the peat moss from ’Ace Hardware’ or a gardening store? or should you only buy a pet brand? Just check to make sure their are no chemicals or anything else in them? Thanx!

There is no pet brand of Peat moss. There are reptile substrates that have peat in them, but they are not 100% peat.
Yes, the stuff you find at Ace, Home Depot. garden stores etc. is the type of peat you’ll want.

01/22/07  06:17pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area