Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Dazbuzz   BallPython2   Dazbuzz   Dazbuzz   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Another scorpion problem

ok yet again i am forced to post another question about my scorpions here it is:

so far they are fine settled, eating and relaxed my question is about the cork bark in the tank, it seems to have white stuff all over it even the water dish has some i think it might be scorpion erm....poopy but it could also be mould what do the experts think??

01/19/07  01:43pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1139293

Another scorpion problem

regardless of what it is you need to take out asap and clean it.

I hope you arent just sitting there looking at and letting it get worse.

01/19/07  02:56pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1139357

Another scorpion problem

na i got em out as soon as it appeared. also something strange has happened when i got the bark out there were no scorpions to be found! of course this worried me until i found them hiding behind the rock background thing that i got with the tank. now my mum is convinced that they are trying to escape, so she named 1 of em hudini hehe.

01/19/07  03:27pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1139378

Another scorpion problem

is it from misting? the water might have soaked into the wood.and how exactly do i clean wood?

01/19/07  03:45pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1139403

Another scorpion problem

some times mold gets on there from when the scorpion eats the food on it and the "crumbs" ( for a lack of a better word) from the food gets on there and then it starts to grow or it could be mold from the feces left by the scorpion there...I think one of the two.

01/20/07  02:55pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1140645

Another scorpion problem

Quote:

regardless of what it is you need to take out asap and clean it.

Thatís a bit of a rash judgment call. Mold and scat look very different. If it is white and chalky, itís probably scat or hard water deposits. If itís white and fuzzy, itís probably mold.
Cork bark has a history of having mold problems from time to time. Itís like sometimes in its production, they just donít clean it well before they pack it.

Anyway, as far as cleaning it, take a scrub brush, like a vegetable brush and gently scrub it under very hot water, then put it on a cookie sheet and bake it in the oven at 200 F. for about 20 minutes and while its baking, when the whole house smells like cooking bark, tell your family youíre trying out a new cookie recipe and you EXPECT every single one of them to taste test it ...do NOT microwave it and do not use dtergent on it. If itís hard water deposits, use different water but *donít* use RO water or softened water.

Scorpions will poop and leave scat around wherever they darn well please. If thatís what it is, donít bother trying to clean it off every time there is a little bit on the bark, youíll only end up having to buy more more sooner.

01/21/07  07:22am

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area