Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BallPython2   BallPython2   Dmetz   BallPython2   BallPython2   Dmetz   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

BallPython2
View Profile

Fuzzie mouse

Dmetz (or anyone close to her experience) i put a live fuzzie mouse in my scorpion tank so they could eat it they will be ok with it in there right??

should I leave it in for a shorter / longer time than crickets?

Do i need to put in two since i have to scorpions? should I take it out right away??

01/15/07  07:21pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1134695

Fuzzie mouse

Well after I type the original post for this i went into my exotic pet closet and low and be hold the fuzzy

mouse was laying half in half out ( top half of his body was out) one of my hides i have in the scorpion

cage I guess you can say he was crying.

And some how he ended up in this position on his back, since he is crying i think the scorpion is eating from the back first instead of the front.

Will the scorpion get full and come back to it another time when its done eating or will it eat the whole thing right now?

And if it eats its full on this fuzzy mouse even if it doesnt eat the whole thing how long will it be until it wants to eat again? ( I was told they had a slow metabolizism)

01/15/07  07:44pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1134717

Fuzzie mouse

Feeding live vertebrate prey is not the best thing to feed. Fuzzies are a bit large for scorpions, even adults, a pinky would be more suited and safer if live.

The scorpion might eat all of it, it might not. If it is not gone by morning, remove it. Mice desiccate very quickly and will not only stink up the container but will cause mold very quickly too. Youíll want to clean out that entire area where the mouse is so it does not mold. Mice are rather messy meals and their blood and innards will rot pretty quick, especially in warm, humid conditions.

The scorpion probably will not want to eat for a while after having the mouse. However, Iíd suggest sticking to invertebrate prey such as crickets, roaches, etc. and leave the mice as the occasional treat....and use smaller mice.

01/15/07  08:14pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1134767

Fuzzie mouse

Understood and will clean it up asap.
thank you

01/16/07  06:42am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1135270

Fuzzie mouse

Ok well I went in there took the rat out and this is what I seen.

The butt of the mouse a lot of it was gone and the tail was barely hanging on to the bone of the mouse.

It was missing its left back leg and its front right leg.

I donít know if these body parts are still inside of the scorpion hide or if it actually ate these parts.

the rat also had a gash on the right side of his face.

and the ears kind of looked like they deflated into the skull I have no idea how that happened though.
`

01/16/07  07:48am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1135286

Fuzzie mouse

Mmmm yummy!
P. imperator generally use their palps on their prey rather than stinging them, so the gash is most likely from the pinchers. As to the rest of the critter, I canít say as that Iíve ever seen a left over vert. that a scorpion didnít finish eating.

01/16/07  01:13pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1135486

Fuzzie mouse

So is the fact that it left so much of the mouse uneating just another reason why it should be fed pinkie rodents and not fuzzy ones due to prey size?

01/16/07  04:13pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1135624

Fuzzie mouse

Generally yes. They will only eat until they are full.

01/16/07  07:34pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area