Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Dazbuzz   Dazbuzz   Dmetz   Dazbuzz   Dazbuzz   Dmetz   Dazbuzz   Dmetz   Dazbuzz  
 Member  Message

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Scorpions and a heat lamp?

i have just got my first emperor scorpion today(actually i got 2 scorplings) andi i have a 2 foot wooden vivarium with a 40w heat lamp. this is what the shop recommended and i am worried about the temp of the viv at the moment it is 30c and looks like it is still climbing does anyone know the max temp this lamp can go? or how to cool the tank down?.

01/14/07  05:18pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1133153

any help would b good i just need 2 know what i shoud do about the raising temp

01/14/07  07:56pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1133317

You say scorplings, how big are they?
A 2 foot tank is large enough for 3 adults but would be way too big for 2 babies.
While using heat lamps can help to add heat if your home is real cold, they dry out the air something fierce.
First, how close do you have the lamp to the container?
The average temp you want for an imp. is around 86 to 90 degrees F. You donít really want to go below 72 to 75 F. or above 100 F.
You do need to make sure it is humid enough, especially with a heat lamp because the lamp will suck the humidity right out of that container.

Iím curious, since the pet store recommended the heat lamp (and Iím assuming they also recommended the large tank), how did they recommend you set up the tank as far as substrate and whatnot?

01/15/07  05:59am

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1133814

i would guess they are about 5-6cm most of the time they hide under a big piece of cork bark. the tank is wooden on all sides and glass slide doors on the front so i was abit worried about using a heat mat coz i donít know if it will burn the wood, also the exact measurments are: 60cm long 38cm high and 38cm deep. the lamp is about 10 inches from the substrate with is some sort of soft wood chip( thats what i got with the tank) i have ordered some forest substrate from a site so this will do for now i think.other things i have are a small water dish with soaked tissue paper a hide and big piece of cork bark. thats it realy these are my first scorpions and i want to treat them right so is that good enough for them?. btw i also have other stuff like spray bottle thermometer ect.

01/15/07  01:16pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1134125

i trust people that i have owned a scorpion more than i do the store assistants so if i can use a heat mat(i am very new to this so iím sorry if i seem stupid) i will. the substrate and lamp will be removed if not needed with a heat mat and forest substrate may be better for burrowing so any tips would be nice thx in advance.

01/15/07  01:32pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1134156

The actual walls of the container are wood? Thatís a new one. I would be conserned about the wood. Imps need to be kept quite humid and all that moisture may just soak into the wood, which would not be good for it. Wood chips are the greatest burrowing medium, but if thatís all you have until you get something else, what can you do, right? Just make sure that whatever substrate you use, does not have cedar, pine or other areomatic wood in it, they are toxic to inverts. What you may want to do is, when you get your other substrate, mix it with either peat moss or potting soil that does not have any fertilizer or other chemicals in it, that way the substrate will hold burrows better. Forest bedding tends to be too loose and doesnít hold burrows well. Also, you might have to change that substrate more often because it tends to deteriate more rapidally in high humidity conditions. On average, the substrate should be changed once every year or two under normal conditions.

I have no idea how a heat mat would effect wood. UTHís are made for glass and I donít know of anyone who has used them with wood...Iíd err on the side of caution and not use it.

Also, you donít want tissue, sponges or any other type of material in the scorpionsí water dish. Those things act as a breeding ground for bacteria, mites and other nasties that you donít want in with your scorpions. Scorpions can drink plain oleí water just fine and often times like to get into the dish to bathe. Remove the tissue and just put water in their dish.
Oh, and I would move the heat lamp about 2 to 3 feet away from the container. A 40 watt bulb lets off a lot of heat. All you really need, if anything, is a 10 watt. Wood is going to transfer heat differently than plastic or glass which will have a dirrect baring on the temperature inside the container.

Other than the tissue paper and the wood container, everything else sounds fine. I really think youíd do better with a smaller glass or plastic container as wood will make it a lot more difficult to maintain humidity, even sealed wood.

01/15/07  06:01pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1134549

i didnít realy want a wooden viv but the shop assistant said it would be fine, so now i think i will get a exo terra 45x45x45cm viv and hope itís big enough for 2 adult scorpions this was my original choice.

01/16/07  08:57am

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Dazbuzz   In reference to Message Id: 1135315

Well, the thing with the wood container is that those are used for reptiles and invertebrates are not reptiles. Aparently we have ourselves yet another care of pet store employees who donít know anything about the animals they sell....unfortunately.

01/16/07  01:10pm

Dazbuzz
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1135483

yes itís a shame that some pet stores are only in it for the money. anyway i have got a new exo terra 45x45x45cm tank that is on most sites with better substrate and i think my emps are about 7-8 months old so i guess this setup will do for a while or all their life. but realy thanks so much for all your help now my emps should have a good life which makes me happy.

01/16/07  03:27pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area