Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BallPython2   PythonMan   Dmetz   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

BallPython2
View Profile

20 gal tank - 2 scorps

can two scorpions live in a 20 gallon tank together? (emperors of course)

I already have 2 hides in there and a water bowl.

do i need anything else?

When I put food in there should I double it from 2 crickets (for one scorpion) to 4 crickets (for two scorpions)?

How do I tell a female from a male?

and regardless of gender will they both still fight?

01/14/07  01:03pm

PythonMan
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1132814

20 gal tank - 2 scorps

yeah that tank is big enough fer 2 of em, but you should put a couple more hides, each scorpion should have at least 2 hides, when feeding them you could just put bout 6 crickets in there and whatever they donít eat just take em out, regardless of there gender they prolly will fight, emperors are territorial so just watch out fer fighting. good luck

01/14/07  06:27pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: PythonMan   In reference to Message Id: 1133219

20 gal tank - 2 scorps

Fighting may or may not happen, it just depends on the imps. There are measures you can take to help lessen the possibility of it happening though.
Make sure, like Python said, that each of them has at least 2 hides of their own and that they are spaced well apart from each other. Also make sure there is enough substrate for them to burrow in (if they are adults, give them at least 6 inches of substrate) and yes, put more crickets in. If there is ample food, they are less likely to fight over it...but...sometimes they still will. Just like kids, they tend to fight over the biggest piece of pie no matter how much pie is there.
Give them a few weeks, observe them closely and see what they do. They might have squabbles from time to time, thatís normal, but if they really start taking to beating the tar out of each other, seperate them. Once they get use to each other, they *should* settle in nicely. If they are happy with each other, often times youíll find them both sharing one hide and snuggling quite a bit.

Determining gender, Iíll have to get back to you on that, itís late and Iím a tired camper. Iíll give you that info. tomorrow...well, later today.

01/15/07  06:10am

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1133817

20 gal tank - 2 scorps

Dmetz, a woman at petco ( know they all arent too smart lol) showed me some "feathers" ( for a lack of a better word) on the bottom of my second scorpion that I got today.

She said this was the way to determine gender

Is she right / wrong?

01/15/07  03:23pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1134327

20 gal tank - 2 scorps

Yes, theyíre called pectines. The number of pectines determines the gender of *most* scorpions. Iíll have to look up what the pectine count for P. imperator are, I donít recall off hand.

01/15/07  05:45pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area