Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BallPython2   Dmetz   BallPython2   Dmetz   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

BallPython2
View Profile

Decided

Ok so i called botar and an associate there told me they were going to check and see if they had any more south african tri colors in stock.

so if they do Iíll get one of those if not Iíll just an asian forest scorpion (Heterometrus spinifer)

01/08/07  06:09pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1125219

Decided

Cool!
Both of those are great choices.

01/08/07  06:52pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1125302

Decided

Ok so my tri color is being shipped off tomorrow and Iíll have on wednesday.

So can I use the terriaum I had my spider in? I can fill it with peat moss until the bottom of the opening of the two doors.

and I can buy a small enough cave of half a rock to fit in there

Do i need fake branches and leaves also?

How do i heat a terraium?

is it ok to put a heating pad on the side of it?

01/08/07  07:14pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1125344

Decided

As long as the temperatures inside your home or at least the room the scorpion will be in, are in the 70s during the day, additional heat should not be necessary.
Iíd steer clear of artificial plants and such, mostly because the scorpion might try and use them to climb on and these guys arenít very good climbers...theyíre clumsy.
If you do need (or choose) to heat the tank, yes, put the mat on the side of the tank so the scorpion can burrow and not fry. In addition, that will provide a temperature gradient for it so it can choose which side it wants to be on...the warm side or the cool side.

If you want to, get two hides for it, one on each side of the tank. That way, if you are using a heat mat, the scorpion can be comfortable *and* invisible on either side of the tank.
Give it about 4 to 5 inches of substrate and that should be plenty for it to dig in and have a blast with.

Is the tank youíre referring to, the 10 gallon?
If so, yes, that will work for the scorpion, seeing as how the ones Botar have are about 2 to 3 inches. It might be a bit large, but scorpions tend to do better in a bit larger containers than tarantulas do, plus, scorpions have better eyesight and thus, can hunt prey more efficiently....not that tarantulas arenít efficient but....well, you understand.
The scorpion wonít need to be in anything larger than that though so at least you wonít need to worry about rehousing it except for perhaps every year or two when you clean out the tank and put all fresh stuff (substrate mostly) in it.

01/08/07  08:59pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1125491

Decided

the terriaum Iím going to put the south african tri color in is 12-12-18 inches..This is fine?

01/09/07  07:20pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1126777

Decided

Yeah, that should be fine.
Youíll probably want to put two water dishes in though, one on each side.

01/10/07  06:53pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area