Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

BallPython2   Dmetz   BallPython2   Dmetz  
 Member  Message

BallPython2
View Profile

Just a qustion

I know emperor scorpions are noctural but i dont even see mine out at night unless I take out the hide thats covering him...

IS there something Iím doing wrong? or does he just want to be left alone?

01/05/07  04:56pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1120907

Just a qustion

Well, that could be due to many factors:
1. It wants to be left alone
2. Itís too dry
3. Thereís too much surrounding light
4. Itís preparing to molt or give birth
....or any number of things.

If you can tell us how you have its container set up, how much and what type of substrate, what temperature and humidity, what kind of decorations, etc. we might be able to help you narrow down that list.

01/05/07  05:19pm

BallPython2
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1120939

Just a qustion

Ok I have him in a walk in closet with my other reptiles and 2 breeding rats.

He is in a 20 gallon tank that i mist twice i day and I mist the whole tank meaning all of the substrate.

For a substrate I use eco earth and I have peat moss in my basement Iím going to add to that tonight.

And he has one cave hide and a water dish that is small but big enough for his whole body to soak in.

The only time the light comes on is when I turn it on and the light from outside only comes in during the day. and since the tank is basically on the floor ( on the bottom half of a tank holder) it NEVER comes in contact with direct sunlight.

honestly, I dont know the tempeture or the humidity because i dont have a gauge in there so Iím going to actually buy a really good flunkers hydrometer gauge tomorow and put that in the tank.

(as we speak or rather as I type this I went to see if he was out and what do ya know he was out and about all over the cage. So he probably just comes out when the light is off which makes sense)

Also if I need one I have a Ceramic heat emitter if I need to boost the tempeture inside of the cage.

So if I use the CHE should I put that on the same side as the UTH? Not counting the UTH the only heat my scorpion gets is whatever the house tempeture is. usually that stays between 60 - 75 degrees average.

So should I use the heat emitter?

01/05/07  05:53pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: BallPython2   In reference to Message Id: 1120992

Just a qustion

Quote:

(as we speak or rather as I type this I went to see if he was out and what do ya know he was out and about all over the cage. So he probably just comes out when the light is off which makes sense)

It just wanted to make a liar out of you! "Heís lying...I do too come out!!!!"

You donít want it too hot. If it is in with your reptiles and such, then the temperature should be fine if you are providing additional heat for any of them. Humidity should be fine too if youíre misting every day.
I wouldnít worry about it too much. They say a happy scorpion is an invisible one.

01/05/07  06:06pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area