Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

Future_herpatologist   Satanicat   Ienjoyhavingahouse   Satanicat   Bayou Beasts   Ienjoyhavingahouse   Satanicat   Bayou Beasts   Eyespy   Yarg  
 Member  Message

Future_herpatologist
View Profile

If you are allergic 2 bees will you go into anaphalactic shock

my step dad is allergic to bees and i was thinking hes has to get bit by spiders all of the time so since they are bith arachnids will he die if he gets stung by a emporor or a asian giant please help because i want one soooo bad and my moms like "No shawn will dye if it gets out and stings him in his sleep" GGGGRRRRHHH that makes me soooo mad!

07/30/04  05:57pm

Satanicat
View Profile

Message To: Future_herpatologist   In reference to Message Id: 110873

Well, get a top for the aquarium that you would plan to keep the scorpion in.
Also, they can NOT climb glass, so how would it possibly get out?
I don’t have a top on mine, and its not even that high, and my Emperor will try to get out, but to no avail.

08/17/04  10:12am

Ienjoyhavingahouse
View Profile

Message To: Satanicat   In reference to Message Id: 121873

a bee is an inset, a scorpian is an arachnid.... i cant imagine that hed die..... thats almos like saying that someone can’t eat bananas because they’re allergic to peanuts

08/26/04  09:59am

Satanicat
View Profile

Message To: Ienjoyhavingahouse   In reference to Message Id: 129152

Actually, you are totally wrong, if you are allergic to bee stings, you CAN die!

08/26/04  02:57pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Satanicat   In reference to Message Id: 129337

The venom is simular to that of a bee. The amount that is injected is alot larger. I can get stung by a bee and not think twice about it but I have been stung twice by emperors and both caused swelling and pain, so I guess I would say it is very possable for him to have a severe reaction if not die.

08/26/04  04:06pm

Ienjoyhavingahouse
View Profile

Message To: Satanicat   In reference to Message Id: 129337

yea, i know if your allergic to a be you can die from a bee sting.... anyway, aren’t scorpians dangerous to anyone wether or not they’re allergic to things?

08/27/04  08:51am

Satanicat
View Profile

Message To: Ienjoyhavingahouse   In reference to Message Id: 129831

dangerous if you want to play with them, lol, but other than that, if you’re careful, then not really.

08/27/04  02:58pm

Bayou Beasts
View Profile

Message To: Satanicat   In reference to Message Id: 130018

If you reread the last sentence of my post you will get my answer to your question.

08/28/04  01:52am

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Bayou   In reference to Message Id: 130456

Your dad can ask his allergist to look up the Greer cross-reactivity between bee and scorpion venom and do a RAST test on any cross-reactive proteins to see if he’s got an increased susceptibility to have an allergic reaction. There is a fairly high number of false-negatives in RAST testing though, so even if the test comes back that there is no cross-reactive proteins involved, he should exercise caution. A positive test

Peanuts and bananas have certain proteins in common, so you can easily develop an allergic reaction to bananas if you have a peanut allergy. Same with animal venoms, and depending on what specific proteins your dad reacts to, he may indeed have a problem.

I have anaphylactic allergies to yellowjackets and natural rubber latex and cannot safely handle any elapids, spiders, or scorpions.

08/28/04  10:03am

Yarg
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 130535

emperor scorpions and bees have the same chemical that causes people to go into shock so he will die, however, scorpions cant climb glass so how would he get stung in the first place?

03/13/05  06:35pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area