Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scorpions Forum

RePtiLOVER   Dmetz   Mao   Dmetz   RePtiLOVER   Dmetz   RePtiLOVER  
 Member  Message

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

A bit out of the ordinary....

I believe itís a Mastigoproctus giganteus, any ideas on sexing it?

12/21/06  12:49pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 1102347

Well, first of all, thatís a Vinegaroon, not a scorpion.
As far as sexing them, the males usually have larger or thicker looking palps compared to their body size. Females have smaller palps in comparison to their body size.

12/23/06  02:38am

Mao
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1104221

Dmetz, he is in the forum that best relates to these guys. Also, he is correct on the term it is Mastigoproctus giganteus, aswell it can be called Vinegaroon.

12/24/06  10:37pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: Mao   In reference to Message Id: 1106221

Quote:

Dmetz, he is in the forum that best relates to these guys. Also, he is correct on the term it is Mastigoproctus giganteus, aswell it can be called Vinegaroon.

I never said he *wasnít* correct as to the species name.
As well...it can be called a whip scorpion, because it is that as well.
FYI, my previous post was for readersí general clarification as there are *many* newbies who come here and do *not* know the difference.

12/25/06  01:36am

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1106331

Itís all good, I knew what you meant, thanks for sticking up for me anyways Dmetz.
I caught him out in the Chihuahuan desert, gnawing on a dog skull. We didnít know what he was when we caught him, and there isnít much care info at all on him. But For the few months Iíve had him, he has been dong GREAT eating roaches. I just have him setup with about 5 inches of topsoil/sand mic he burrows on down and forages when hes hungry. Since I have nothing to compare the palps too, care to hazard a guess on itís sex?

12/25/06  10:36pm

Dmetz
View Profile

Message To: RePtiLOVER   In reference to Message Id: 1106885

Hmm, Iíll see what I can find.
I donít know much about these guys other than they can make a huge stink mess when they are aggravated! They were EVERYWHERE at my old highschool and I always cringed whenever I came accross one. Then my grandma caught one on her porch and kept it for a while....but wouldnít let me "play" with it....canít imagine why! LOL
Wow, how times have changed over the years!
Hereís a care sheet on them, donít know if it will do you much good or not, but...for whatís itís worth, here it is.
Mastigoproctus giganteus
Some links to some pix of male and female:

Male
Gravid female
The palps on yours look pretty short in comparison to its body, so, if Iím going to venture a guess, Iíd say female.

12/25/06  11:17pm

RePtiLOVER
View Profile

Message To: Dmetz   In reference to Message Id: 1106922

I pretty much guessed on her care, and it is alsmot indetical to that care sheet. Around 10% humidity on the surrface, but VERY humid underground.

12/25/06  11:36pm

Back to Scorpions Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area